Can someone explain to me why the Wind is so cheap?

Cruzenbabe2

with your attitude about older things it would have have been wise for you to do your homework. If you had investigated, you would have known this is not the kind of ship for you. By the way, most of us who have sailed more than a few times know that itineraries change for many reasons. You have to roll with the punches. Some people are bothered by things that don't faze others. When the price is right compromises are often made. I would be upset if I paid Hilton or Ritz Carlton prices and got Holiday Inn quality, but if I paid Holiday Inn prices I wouldn't expect everything to be perfect. NMnita

I love your assumption that I didn't do my research. But since my reason for posting has nothing to do with whether or not I had realistic expections, I'll not address that here.

My purpose in posting was not to rehash things I didn't like about my cruise, but to answer the OP's question, "Why is Wind cheaper". In my opinion, the Wind is cheaper, at least in part, because it is an older ship that is not well laid-out (resulting in crowded public spaces). The OP was also concerned about "getting what you pay for." I certainly was not expecting Ritz quality at Holiday Inn prices. But when I pay for the Holiday Inn, I expect no less than the Holiday Inn. For a number of reasons, I don't feel I got what I paid for. I gave some background to explain the reasons I felt that and and to let the OP know in case any of the things I mentioned were important to her. In other words, I'm trying to add to the research available to those who are wise enough to do their homework.

I've been reading this thread with great interest for the last few days. We sailed the Wind about 6 months ago, and are planning another trip on her again this coming Sept. We live on the Big Island and before moving here 3 years ago, I was a travel agent for many years. The Wind is a "deal" because she is an older ship and she is foreign flagged. The itineraries are longer...and therefore, they are not as attractive to families who have limited vacation time. A 10 or 11 day cruise, with travel time from the mainland, turns into a very long "family" vacation. So, the Wind attracts those who have more time...and that translates into more senior or retired folks. Medical emergencies do happen to this age group...and can alter the itinerary. But, isn't it nice to know that a port is only a short sail away, where those needing it, can get medical help? We also found a wonderful mix of folks from all over the world...experiencing Hawaii on their once in a lifetime vacation.

This ship is not a floating hotel..THIS IS A CRUISE. The newer NCL American flagged ships in Hawaii, are acting as floating hotels. They offer very little cruise time...most of the time is spent in port...which is great for those who want the majority of their time to explore the islands. This is not to say that the Wind does not offer a wonderful island experience. There is plenty of time in the various ports, but the fact that the Wind does have to hit a foreign port..adds on about 4 glorious sea days. We enjoy cruising...seas days are heaven to us. We do enjoy the islands...and always find something new to see on each island, but the CRUISE is paramount to us. We love the relaxation of sea days...lazy...lazy..lazy...out by the pool..watching the ocean go by..soaking up the sun....no worries...no agenda.

The Wind itself is a wonderful ship...maybe not glitzy..but comfortable and friendly. We have been on the new mega ships....but to be honest, when we are sitting at dinner in a restaurant...we do not notice how new or glitzy the restaurant is. We are more interested in the quality of the food and the attentiveness of our servers. And the Wind delivered every night of our 11 day cruise.

Our inside cabin was more spacious that any other we have experienced...it had everything that we needed for the few hours a day we were actually in our cabin. After our 11 days on the Wind, we still feel like there are places in the ship we would like to explore, or explore again...and we are booking this "deal" again for this coming September...before this island experience goes away for good!!

To all those booked....go and have fun.

Good q... I can't figure out why. I just booked the 11 day cruise for 1200.00CDN (900USD). But then again, when you think about it... The Wind is comparable to Carnival prices - I think last year I paid <700CDN (550.00USD) for a 7 Day Caribbean cruise on the Glory.

Maybe it's an older vessel and the reviews are mediorce? I'm hoping for the best :) But like one review I read... there's no such thing as a bad cruise (I hope!).

I admit that on our February 16 sailing on the Wind, our itinerary changed. We did not go to Fanning Island, but it wasn't due to mechanically problems and the age of the ship. It was due to the average age of the passengers on the ship. It appeared that 75% of the passengers were over the age of 70. I, having done my research realized that this would be the case based on the time of year and the length of the cruise. I assumed and had it confirmed that this would be the case. One lady broke hip, another her arm and one gentlemen had a heart attack and passed away. My response was " so, what?" I was in Hawaii on a ship which I knew would carry mostly elderly people. I made the conscience to go anyway and had a blast. So, if you want to prevent further the risk of itinerary changes, keep in mind that you may want to select a ship with a much younger passenger demographic as this too can cause problems.

Let me make it clear that the fact the average demographic was elderly was a non-issue to me and should be to anyone. I had a great time and enjoyed my 5 am coffee with several wonderful retirees every morning of the cruise. I am 34 years old. My point is that people should do their research and there many variables that could affect a cruise.

One lady broke hip, another her arm and one gentlemen had a heart attack and passed away. My response was " so, what?" .

Pretty harsh :eek: Not sure that is what you wanted to say.

I think the "so, what" was about the itinerary change. At least I hope so :)

Pretty harsh :eek: Not sure that is what you wanted to say.

I think the "so, what" was about the itinerary change. At least I hope so :)

I'm horrified. I meant the itinerary change, of couse. I felt horrible that some passengers were sick or hurt. ALTHOUGH, there were some fellow passengers who thought all injuried, sick parties could have remained on the ship for the duration. I was not one of them. Thank you for pointing out my misplaced exclamation.

What's wrong with the Holiday Inn? Should I change my reservation? Has their itinerary changed? What, no sea days? Oh, yeah, they're land-locked, oops, never mind . . . :D

Funny, funny, thanks for lightening this up. Actually to be honest many Holiday Inns are every bit as nice as Hiltons or any other chain; maybe I should have used Best Western? Motel 6, I though was a bit too far down the list. LOL also

Nita

A year or two ago I came across a travel article that compared the various cruise lines to hotel/motel chains, qualitatively. I recall that NCL was equated with La Quinta Inns. I'm not acquainted with La Quinta, and assume it's roughly equivalent to Best Western?

Archived