Open versus Reserved Dining

dan1618

We are considering late fixed dining, but I'm wondering if we will miss the shows by doing this. Is there usually an early theater for those who have late dining? Does the show time overlap into the late dining time?

Shows are presented twice a night (usually. the first night, and nights with only a movie will differ). They will either be at 8:00 and 10:00 PM, or 7:00 and 9:00 PM. It varies.

If the first, then both shows are after dinner. The second example has the show before late seating dinner. It (usually) is out on time for dinner; it may run over a few minutes, but the dining room will know to expect the crowd a few minutes late. This happened several times on my recent cruise.

We have always had early fixed seating, and we have experienced issues of having to rush to get ready for dinner after shore excursions. We are considering late fixed dining, but I'm wondering if we will miss the shows by doing this. Is there usually an early theater for those who have late dining? Does the show time overlap into the late dining time?

lately hal has had the same show times on all ships -- but this could change at any time on any ship

early fixed dining is at 5:45 for all cruises except alaska and the show time was at 8 -- on our alaskan cruises early fixed was 5:30 and show time was 9

for late dining at 8 pm for all cruises except alaska the show time was 10 -- on our alaskan cruises late dining was 7:45 and show time was 7

like i said -- who knows what will happen

lately hal has had the same show times on all ships --

Not if you are saying the shows are at 8:00 and 10:00, they haven't.

I left the Volendam on 3/31. That's as "lately" as you can get.

For 32 days (except for the first nights, and the nights there was a movie), the shows were at 7:00 and 9:00.

For the Op, when we were on the Zuiderdam, there were indeed two shows. One early and one later. The early show was for people in main seating (8 pm) and the later show was for those in early seating. Show times will be posted in the explorer (the daily programme).

you should be fine :)

I cannot even begin to tell you how much you all amaze me!

Did you bribe the waiter for these? Swipe them when the maitre de wasn't looking? :D

I don't know the original sources of the diagrams, I just know that member richwmn has collected a set of them for the five classes of HAL ships and hosts them at www.wa70.com/hal/dining :)

I cannot even begin to tell you how much you all amaze me!

Did you bribe the waiter for these? Swipe them when the maitre de wasn't looking? :D

we have a lot of members who are a wealth of knowledge like Jt513. That's what makes this board so great. We all learn and share with each other.

If you like your cruise and want to book HAL again, a really great site is Joanie's (her thread is a sticky at the top of the page) her cc name is IRL Joanie. on any of her threads is her link to her web page. She has info on every HAL ship, the dining room plans, actual pictures of some rooms that cc members have sent in, plus, plus, plus. It's very helpful IMO :)

we have a lot of members who are a wealth of knowledge like Jt513. That's what makes this board so great. We all learn and share with each other.

If you like your cruise and want to book HAL again, a really great site is Joanie's (her thread is a sticky at the top of the page) her cc name is IRL Joanie. on any of her threads is her link to her web page. She has info on every HAL ship, the dining room plans, actual pictures of some rooms that cc members have sent in, plus, plus, plus. It's very helpful IMO :)

I communicated with Joanie by email earlier in our process. She was able to get us pics of our exact cabin and was tremendously helpful! It made the process for first timers like us so much more pleasant!

In looking at the diagrams, are there any bad window tables? It having one in the corner - where you have a side and rear view - better or worse than just being along one side or the other?

I communicated with Joanie by email earlier in our process. She was able to get us pics of our exact cabin and was tremendously helpful! It made the process for first timers like us so much more pleasant!

In looking at the diagrams, are there any bad window tables? It having one in the corner - where you have a side and rear view - better or worse than just being along one side or the other?

I'm not sure which one you are referring to. If it is one I think you are referring to (in the corner?) If i remember correctly it seemed a bit cramped, but I could be wrong. Ours was in the middle at the back at the window - very roomy and very nice. Our waiters were superb too :D

I don't think there are many bad tables to be honest. Take a look where the serving stations are. You don't want to be too close to one unless you have to be and I have a feeling that table I'm thinking of was.

Glad you already found Joanie:) She's tremendous:D

I'm not sure which one you are referring to. If it is one I think you are referring to (in the corner?) If i remember correctly it seemed a bit cramped, but I could be wrong. Ours was in the middle at the back at the window - very roomy and very nice. Our waiters were superb too :D

I don't think there are many bad tables to be honest. Take a look where the serving stations are. You don't want to be too close to one unless you have to be and I have a feeling that table I'm thinking of was.

Glad you already found Joanie:) She's tremendous:D

On the diagrams, what are the semi-circles at the end of some of the tables (for example, next to table 33, 15, 43)?

On the diagrams, what are the semi-circles at the end of some of the tables (for example, next to table 33, 15, 43)?

Look like serving stations to me ;) we were in the area of table 59 - at the back. I would avoid those myself but that's just me;)

We have experienced both fixed and open and prefer fixed. We always request main (the later) seating because earlier seating is just too early for us and would be a nuisance having to worry about returning to the ship earlier than we prefer just to get ready for dinner. We have always enjoyed having assigned tables of 6 or 8 and getting to know our tablemates. It's just a matter of personal preference. CC members have posted pros and cons of both.

We like the aft corner areas because it gives a panorama view. We eat early, and many times the setting sun bothers somebody, and the drapes are closed on one side. Being in the corner gives a chance to still have a view on the other side.

We like the aft corner areas because it gives a panorama view. We eat early, and many times the setting sun bothers somebody, and the drapes are closed on one side. Being in the corner gives a chance to still have a view on the other side.

that's a really good point John - I never thought of that all those times in the dining room ;)

Look like serving stations to me ;) we were in the area of table 59 - at the back. I would avoid those myself but that's just me;)

Novice question here: what all is at the serving stations? Is there a lot of traffic at these? Having never been on one of these, we don't know the process. Thanks!

it is busy at the serving stations

this is where the ice water and some iced teas are kept - drawers for silverware - cabinets to store coffee -- etc.

the waiters and assistants are constantly there as this is where they load and unload trays of all the food -- appetizers, soups, salads, entree, etc.

they also stack up the dirty dishes here

the assistants are constantly on the move bringing trays of food and taking away dirty dishes

the main waiter also sometimes has to run for food

it is busy at the serving stations

this is where the ice water and some iced teas are kept - drawers for silverware - cabinets to store coffee -- etc.

the waiters and assistants are constantly there as this is where they load and unload trays of all the food -- appetizers, soups, salads, entree, etc.

they also stack up the dirty dishes here

the assistants are constantly on the move bringing trays of food and taking away dirty dishes

the main waiter also sometimes has to run for food

I just contacted our TA and asked them to request table 53 for us -- and at the very least a window table for 6 without a serving station. They told me that they can't really take such requests before boarding the ship, despite the fact that we are in a deluxe suite -- that we will just have to wait until we are on board and go see the maitre de and hope they can do something. That seems to be a little different than the "priority seating and dining requests" listed as a suite amenity. Is out TA just being lazy or is that really the system? What's the best way to navigate it?

I just contacted our TA and asked them to request table 53 for us -- and at the very least a window table for 6 without a serving station. They told me that they can't really take such requests before boarding the ship, despite the fact that we are in a deluxe suite -- that we will just have to wait until we are on board and go see the maitre de and hope they can do something. That seems to be a little different than the "priority seating and dining requests" listed as a suite amenity. Is out TA just being lazy or is that really the system? What's the best way to navigate it?

I could be wrong but I think a deluxe suite just will get you the time you wanted in traditional. How could they guarantee a table? What if all deluxe suites wanted table 53?

I could be wrong but I think a deluxe suite just will get you the time you wanted in traditional. How could they guarantee a table? What if all deluxe suites wanted table 53?

I wouldn't automatically expect it to be granted, but prioritized is a little different.

People here have recommended getting in requests regarding dining ahead of time, so I was simply looking from guidance for those with some experience in these matters.

I wouldn't automatically expect it to be granted, but prioritized is a little different.

People here have recommended getting in requests regarding dining ahead of time, ...

Yes, your TA can make a request, but that's all it can be. Table assignments aren't done until a couple/few days before sailing. If you don't get something you like at check-in, go see the Neptune concierge ASAP.

when our ta makes our final payment -- she has a contact that she uses in seattle and requests what table number we would like to have

as for the size of the table and the time we wish to dine -- that is requested when we make the booking and she sends us a copy of our confirmation number as well as to our dining preference

it is a suite amenity -- and we have not always gotten the table number that we wanted -- but because we book early our time and table size requests have always been honored

maybe because you have booked so close to sailing your requests may not be honored

your ta really should call hal and try to get some of your requests made

sadly you really won't know exactly what you are assigned until you get your ID cards at the pier

question -- has your ta linked the 2 cabin numbers together for your dining request? if not -- that could be another problem -- you may not even be sitting at a table together

the concierges will try to help you out with all these problems once you are on the ship -- but getting a table for 5 sometimes is harder than a table for 2

They told me that they can't really take such requests before boarding the ship, despite the fact that we are in a deluxe suite -- that we will just have to wait until we are on board and go see the maitre de and hope they can do something. That seems to be a little different than the "priority seating and dining requests" listed as a suite amenity. Is out TA just being lazy or is that really the system? What's the best way to navigate it?

As others have said, a request is merely that---a request. However, a request can't even be taken into consideration if it isn't made. It's a lot easier to get the assignment you like in the first place than it is to be reassigned after you board. By then your preferred spot may be taken.

Yes, I think your TA should be taking the initiative and making sure your request is on file.

We actually booked back in September and requested late dining and had the reservations linked back in September. We did the suite upgrade in early January, so at least on those issues, I hope we are good.

I will nudge the TA a little harder on getting the actual requests in. I agree-can't be honored if it isn't made and a lot easier to do ahead of time than to try to make changes on board, especially as the cruise is sold out.

Archived