Consideration in the Lido

Bobed1927

This is just on of the reasons why I prefer to eat in the main dining room for breakfast. No searching for tables, no hunting for food and beverage. No one staring at me for enjoying a second cup of coffee at my leisure.

I've only been to breakfast at the Lido buffet once on a Princess ship, because we slept in too late for the dining room. After that horrid experience, it was either the dining room or room service, no more buffet for us.

The thread is scenario that happens on every mass market line we've been on. The last morning by 8 am, forget even getting close to the buffet...we've gone up there to just get a cup of coffee and ended up leaving empty handed it's such a zoo.

Edit to add, I think there are plenty of places to enjoy a book or a game of cards all over the ship. I think it is only polite to vacate a table after you finish eating during typical meal hours.

DH and I will do a walk around the Lido first, if we do not find a table, we simply sit and do a forced share with someone who has open chairs. Nobody has really ever given us attitude. If we choose to have an "extra" cup of coffee though, we will definitely allow people who are walking around "looking" to sit down to share our table. Common courteous here.

One unfortunate experience with dining in the Horizon Court. It was quite busy and we carried our plates of food (just the two of us) to a table for six that was occupied by one man. We asked if we could share his table, his response "This my table and I don't care to share it". He told that to everyone who asked to sit there. No one else ever sat at that table until he left. We finally found another table, but that was just amazing to me.

:eek: We've never been turned down nor turned anyone down when looking to share a table. With so many passengers aboard theres definitely bound to be a few jerks (understatement).

:eek: We've never been turned down nor turned anyone down when looking to share a table. With so many passengers aboard theres definitely bound to be a few jerks (understatement).

I don't recall that we have, either, but, let's face it...some people just send off a "Do Not Disturb" aura, and so we don't! Making eye contact first is a definite invitation to share.

We were sunbathing in the row of loungers at the Terrace pool, overlooking the wake. A gent and his wife were occupying two of the seats next to us. She got up and said she was going back to her cabin to shower and dress, so her lounger was then empty. A lady came out the back door of the buffet with a plate of food, and asked if anyone was using the empty seat. The man said yes, his wife had just gone to the bathroom. We all looked at him, as we all heard his wife tell him differently, and he didnt bat an eye. He just didnt want someone sitting next to him. Could not believe the arrogance.

If I am correct the tables at issue are those plastic ones located on the Lido deck and are aft of the Trident Grill to the entrance of the buffet. That being the case I am not entirely sure that they are there exclusively for dining. Many people can't be in the sun and still others have impediments that prevent them from getting in and out of lounge chairs. They are not posted "for diners only" so I am not sure why they need to move on. I have had the experience of having to walk around looking for a table to eat at but it certainly not a big issue in my mind.

Thanks for this post - you have pretty much outlined my situation. We always get a poolside table unless the weather is atrocious. My father is disabled and the pool loungers don't work for him. My husband does not like the sun and I am usually nearby in a lounger. If I decide to eat with the guys and the pool deck is busy I clear off my chair for another to use, and find another one afterwards.

We use that table for the entire day pretty much and I've only had one rude person confront my father about saving chairs while my husband and I were just returning from a shore excurion and getting iced teas - and that was on Carnival.

Thanks Runner15KM, but aren't you worried that someone will take the chaise that you've had tied up by the pool for the past few hours?

It's typical of someone who is inconsiderate of the requirements of others.

When there are 2500-3000 pax onboard (and many/most use the HC for bkfst and lunch) whether you paid the same as others (or less) it is common courtesy not to tie up tables in the dining areas of the ship.

That is why the ships are designed with numerous lounge and open table areas, for folks who wish to read or play cards...or whatever after having dined.

Ditto your comments on the deck chaises!!!

Ciao for now!!!

DH and I rarely eat at the buffet, and when we do, it's always for breakfast when the dining room is closed. If we don't see vacant chairs, we will take a table that hasn't been bussed, move the plates aside, and try to flag a crew member to come and clear the dirty plates. If tables were bussed as soon as they're vacated, there would be more seating available.

Chris

If tables were bussed as soon as they're vacated, there would be more seating available.

This must have been the edict to the buffet crew on the Emerald in January; it was almost uncomfortable, as everyone was being watched, and as soon as it looked like a plate might be finished- woosh, it was gone.

I'm a bit confused about whether the OP is talking about the tables in the Horizon Court or the tables in the pool area outside the Horizon.

If you're talking about the buffet tables (inside the Horizon Court)' date=' you may want to go a bit farther...sometimes there's a back room (at least on the Golden there was, on each side), that often had plenty of empty tables even at meal time. Many passengers didn't know about these areas, or just didn't want or could walk that far with their plate.

The only time we were bothered by game players on our last cruise was a group with one of those dice shakers (so I'm guessed they were playing Yahtzee). Hubby was clearly irritated by the noise of the shaking.

If you are sitting at a table with available seats, and you see some passengers walking around with plates, obviously looking for a table, why not wave them over and offer to share your table. If you're the passengers looking for a table, you can ask to share a table. It's the code of the cruiser.[/quote']

I travel Solo, and when I am at a table by myself, I always welcome people over when it's crowded. A good way to make new friends.

Melanie

I travel Solo, and when I am at a table by myself, I always welcome people over when it's crowded. A good way to make new friends.

Melanie

Melanie,

We've often gone up to a solo diner and asked if they would like some company. We've met some wonderful people that way.

It all comes down to good manners, a smile, and consideration of others. If I want to sit alone, I will find a small table. If I want to join someone because it is very crowded, I will politely ask and accept the answer. If someone is out by the pool in a chaise, good for them. If they leave for an hour, I will ask the attendant to remove their stuff and/ towel and I will take the lounge. That said, I don't think anyone should monopolize tables and lounge chairs for hours on end. There are so many places to sit and enjoy the views.

BTW, my favorite place is my own balcony. :)

Archived