Celebrity dumps disabled man on island.

detroitcruiser

I do apologize. And you are right on. I jumped in way too quickly. In my defense, I'm not accusing the OP of anything, but was interested in why the high interest...if it was more professional than personal. And if the OP was directly involved, that isn't an accusation or shows they are wrong.

You were factual and I did 'lecture' you when I am the one needing the lecture about reading properly.

I think I'll stick to talking about cruising!

Den

As I stated earlier in thread, with a little research, I was able to determine who the OP is, and found out that he doesn't likely have an actual/direct professional interest in this case, but his connection to those involved is more than most as he has been involved with attorney Bernstein on previous ADA/disabled rights matters. Nothing big, just stuff he did leave out.

There just seems to be so many inconsistencies in this story.

In this situation, given the extent of his needs and the attempt at traveling alone, had the passenger provided the extent of his disabilities to the cruise line prior to boarding, I would make the guess that the cruise line may have denied him the initial boarding rather than disembarking the passenger mid-cruise.

I am sure in his mind he was injured by this situation. I just hope this does not result in cruise lines requiring a handicapped passenger to provide affidavits from a doctor that they are self-sufficient.

About insurance:

I am not an expert on all types of trip insurance, but I do know that we have been able to get Celebrity's trip insurance for my husband, even though he has a pre-existing condition. The only catch was that we had to buy it within a certain time period of making the reservation.

And I agree that buying trip insurance is the only sensible choice when you have a pre-existing condition, even though it is not cheap.

Whether it would have covered Mr. K's costs to return, I have no idea.

As I stated earlier in thread, with a little research, I was able to determine who the OP is, and found out that he doesn't likely have an actual/direct professional interest in this case, but his connection to those involved is more than most as he has been involved with attorney Bernstein on previous ADA/disabled rights matters. Nothing big, just stuff he did leave out.

Disclosing one's identity is not a condition of posting on the CruiseCritic message boards. If you feel it should be, why don't you lead by example and disclose your identity. It seems that like me, and everyone else on this board, you use a screen name that does not reveal your identity.

A post earlier in this board accused me of being Attorney Richard Bernstein, who I am not, and so I clarified that I am not him, nor could I be, as I am still in law school and not a practicing attorney. I do hope that one day I can accomplish in my legal career half as much as Mr. Bernstein has. I would suggest that you do a simple Google search on Mr. Bernstein before you reach unfounded conclusions on who he is and what is interests are. He has dedicated his entire career to advocating for those who would otherwise not have a voice, I am proud to have had the opportunity to work with him, and suggest you research his cases a little more thoroughly before you pass judgment on them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMN2MkfyTus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=audGhyhtK80&feature=related

As far is discussing any other personal or professional associations, I see no need to do so in the context of an online cruise critic message board discussion. If you want to spend your day researching me (a legally blind law student), feel free to spend you time how you like, but I am not going to participate.

Archived