Celebrity dumps disabled man on island.

detroitcruiser

Actually, most of those who park their scooter outside are NOT in accessible cabins. Fewer than 1% of the cabins on any given ship are accessible (I have done extensive research on this, because I am a huge nerd!), and the doors may not be wide enough to accommodate the scooter. Also, many scooters need to be recharged, and sometimes they are left in the hall or a separate area for that reason.

Scooters are not allowed to be parked in halways or isles. Its a saftey hazzard. We made sure the scooter we got for my Dad fit thru the door before we bought it. It also came apart into four peices each weighing less then fifty lbs. I remember talking with guest services for door opening size. I think we had to fill out a form with rules and regulations about bringing a scooter on board.[ Must be in cabin not in hall].

Scooters are not allowed to be parked in halways or isles. Its a saftey hazzard. We made sure the scooter we got for my Dad fit thru the door before we bought it. It also came apart into four peices each weighing less then fifty lbs. I remember talking with guest services for door opening size. I think we had to fill out a form with rules and regulations about bringing a scooter on board.[ Must be in cabin not in hall].

And yet it happens all the time...I've seen it and I know others here have as well, or it wouldn't have been brought up.

And one might say the vacuum cleaners and service carts are also a safety hazard, and you see them in the hallways all the time too.

Lots of supposition and speculation but, at the end of the day, haven't you dug yourself into a big enough hole? Why not quit while you're only as far behind as you are?

You have admitted to being "kicked" off a ship before and came up with a plausible story behind it. How would you like it if people made up their own conclusions about why you were REALLY taken off the ship? Certainly, given some of things that you have posted in this thread, it wouldn't be hard to go down that road. How would like it?

Didn't think so.

Thank you.

rebeccalouiseagain, It just doesn't matter what theme cruise it was! Who cares it was a nude cruise. As much as that isn't my cup of tea, I'd sooner go on that than a country music or line dancing cruise. What type of cruise that appeals or doesn't appeal to each one of us on this thread or who book cruises in general doesn't matter a hill of beans.

As for which terms are offensive or not, if you are not a person with a disability, you really could not be the judge of that.

And yet it happens all the time...I've seen it and I know others here have as well, or it wouldn't have been brought up.

And one might say the vacuum cleaners and service carts are also a safety hazard, and you see them in the hallways all the time too.

I'm just saying what I recall. Look up the rules about scooters on board. People break rules 24/7. My Dads scooter was not in anyones way.

I'm just saying what I recall. Look up the rules about scooters on board. People break rules 24/7. My Dads scooter was not in anyones way.

Oh I know it's in the rules, and I know people break them. :D

I was just saying that assuming people are leaving scooters in the halls even though they are in accessible staterooms is not always correct. Many people can handle regular staterooms and/or can't get an accessible one, so they leave the scooter outside (or elsewhere).

Thank you E150...If you need it, it should be contained in your cabin.

One other note regarding scooters kept somewhere other than cabins - which, by the way, is totally off-topic! But this came to mind.

I have heard that some older model scooters and even powerchairs require a plug outside the cabin for recharging. I think this is typically because they are a major drain on the power, and the pax wouldn't be able to plug in anything else without overloading the system. I have heard of this older equipment parked somewhere out of the way and hooked up to a main line. That is, NOT in the hall outside the cabin, but somewhere nearby with a main line power outlet. So that's one reason why someone might not keep a mobility device in their cabin.

Ideally though, yes, they should be!

One other note regarding scooters kept somewhere other than cabins - which, by the way, is totally off-topic! But this came to mind.

I have heard that some older model scooters and even powerchairs require a plug outside the cabin for recharging. I think this is typically because they are a major drain on the power, and the pax wouldn't be able to plug in anything else without overloading the system. I have heard of this older equipment parked somewhere out of the way and hooked up to a main line. That is, NOT in the hall outside the cabin, but somewhere nearby with a main line power outlet. So that's one reason why someone might not keep a mobility device in their cabin.

Ideally though, yes, they should be!

I am only talking about right outside the cabin.

My BF's mother needs a scooter and they were adamant that it must be kept OUT of the halls. Not disputing whether anyone has seen scooters in the hall. I haven't seen it, in just under 50 cruises.

And yes some ppl go contrary to the rules: smoke on the balcony etc, but few and far between. Most people try to work within the guidelines requested or mandated by the cruise line.

I haven't been on nearly as many cruises as you, but ... I can tell you that sometimes the cruiseline is less than adamant. DH has needed to rent a scooter for use during a cruise for the last few years, but we have indeed booked accessible cabins so that we could insure that the scooter was not parked in the hallway. Sometimes we've had stewards tell us that we did need to take the scooter into the cabin overnight, but that it was not necessary to do so during the day. We didn't take them up on that, but we could have. On Solstice, we met a couple that had been unable to get an accessible cabin (because none were available when they booked) but needed to rent a scooter. Not only was the scooter delivered to the hallway outside the cabin, but Celebrity provided an extension cord so that it could be charged in the hallway.

While it may not be policy, sometime scooters are in the hallway ... and sometime they are there because the passenger has been given "permission" by a representative of the cruiseline.

As to the above poster who posted:" As for which terms are offensive or not, if you are not a person with a disability, you really could not be the judge of that."

So since I'm not black, gay, mentally challenged, disabled, etc, I can't judge whether a term is offensive? I beg to differ.

Oh, that's not what I meant at all. I can see how it might look that way now though, I should have just quoted the person the comment was directed at.

Of course anyone can perceive rudeness & know that a comment is offensive whether or not they are a member of that particular group. The reverse however is not necessarily so. So if you not a person with a disability it might not be best to a term is not offensive, just because worse words were used in the past.

It was directed towards this post. I should have been more clear.

#488 report.gif

post_old.gif Yesterday, 10:29 AM

rebeccalouiseagain user_offline.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

Agreed the ADA is not an agency it is the Americans with Disabilities Act. As to the right PC way to describe someone with a disability... I think that almost all people try to be courteous and helpful to people with disabilities and the language is not insulting to say someone is wheelchair bound, handi-capped or disabled. No one is being insensitive... they used to be called "Cripples". Do we say People with Disabilities Space or "Handicapped"? Come on.

I'm still reading through this whole thread, but detroitcruiser explicitly stated that he (she?) is a law STUDENT and is not the lawyer for this case.
detroitcruiser stated that he attended law school in Florida. (post #96)

There is no mention that he is currently a student or of graduating law school or passing the bar exam in any state.

Charlie

detroitcruiser stated that he attended law school in Florida. (post #96)

There is no mention that he is currently a student or of graduating law school or passing the bar exam in any state.

Charlie

Let me be as clear as humanly possible. I am not a practicing attorney nor have I ever claimed to be -- I am a law student, I am also legally blind, and have cruised on Celebrity.

post #104

As to the above poster who posted:" As for which terms are offensive or not, if you are not a person with a disability, you really could not be the judge of that."

So since I'm not black, gay, mentally challenged, disabled, etc, I can't judge whether a term is offensive? I beg to differ.

Having trouble posting a reply - I sure hope I don't see 6 replies from me on this by morning.

I agree completely with you there. I should have been more clear and just posted the statement quoting the person it was directed at.

While anyone can perceive rudeness whether they are a member of that group or not - the reverse is not necessarily true. i.e. if you are not a person with a disability it may not be the best to say it's fine to use whatever term - because it isn't offensive. Because worse names have been used in the past. That is all.

It was directed toward this post:

post_old.gif Yesterday, 10:29 AM

rebeccalouiseagain user_offline.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

Agreed the ADA is not an agency it is the Americans with Disabilities Act. As to the right PC way to describe someone with a disability... I think that almost all people try to be courteous and helpful to people with disabilities and the language is not insulting to say someone is wheelchair bound, handi-capped or disabled. No one is being insensitive... they used to be called "Cripples". Do we say People with Disabilities Space or "Handicapped"? Come on.

rebeccalouiseagain...we get it you dont agree with nude cruises or nudity - but your presumptions and ignorance are astounding and bordering on offensive...your small minded decision to link nudism to voyeurism and the use of terms such as 'prancing around' only serve highlight your ignorance...if you want to debate the merits of such lifestyle choices then do so on a suitable thread otherwise please keep your off topic opinions to yourself.

This is exactly what I was getting at: CRUISE LAW NEWS has named Celebrity Cruises the Worst Cruise Line in the World, simply based off this ONE opinion piece. :mad:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/articles/worst-cruise-line-in-the-world/

New article on CRUISE LAW NEWS regarding this event:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2011/04/articles/special-needs-1/celebrity-cruises-and-disabled-passenger-exchange-threats-are-celebritys-cruise-ships-ada-compliant/

Two things: This is an opinion site and I am not trying to harass members. Also, I was talking PC about the term disabled. I was trying to say that we have come along way from how people used to be referred and that people I believe people are very sensitive to people with disabilities.

As for the cabin.. I suspect it isn't ADA compliant. Unless people are in a wheelchair they don't know how even a little thing can be problematic. If Celebrity advertises that the cabin is wheelchair accessible- then it must be to the bathroom and balcony. So he has a point.

As to the nudity issue. I find it odd that someone would go on this type of cruise if they were not a nudist. That would be like me going on a cruise with blind people if I wasn't blind. So my thoughts were and still are that he went to gawk. That's my opinion- not fact. But why go unless you are a nudist or naturalist? So this is part of the story and it make this story interesting.

Is it relevant to say that RCI has a lot of gay/nude/swinger/cougar cruises? And to say they have rave/ecstasy cruises?

REALLY????

I would say this article is losing credibility but they did that last week! They are now trying to compete with the National Enquirer--next we will be hearing about an all alien cruise!

I'm still reading through this whole thread, but detroitcruiser explicitly stated that he (she?) is a law STUDENT and is not the lawyer for this case.

I've checked the OP's posts and another poster has pointed out that the OP did not state they are a law student, so Please do Not speak for detroitcruiser, the OP, and let the OP respond, if they will. The OP has been asked more than a few times what their involvement is in this issue since this has become a major issue in the papers, in the courts, and especially on this forum. I believe it would be beneficial to understand the role the OP plays in this beyond being just another poster, such as we are.

So please let the OP respond, if the OP would please do so. I've learned very early on this forum to not speak for others, having done so in error. And just for clarification, Law Students can be involved in active cases also.

Den

Archived