Home from Carnival Splendor. What a great cruise!

stargate fan

Stargate Fan. Thanks so much. You've answered all my questions in detail! I'm going to make notes.

So no smoking on Lido. That's not good (for me anyway):). So I assume all they'll have on deck 10 is just some lounge chairs overlooking the pool below? And, no bar up there I'm sure, right?

From what I'm reading it sounds like the Splendor is alot like the Dream (which I've been on). The place where you get the chicken, if I understand correctly, is up the stairs near the buffet (dessert area) right? They had a hidden-away place like that on the Dream, but it was Italian. It sounds like it's in the same place.

You know, it wouldn't kill me if I just looked at the deck plans. I haven't taken the time to do it! I'll check them out.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions!

Unfortunately the port is on the north side of PV near the marina (and walmart) so I never ventured to that area. It's a quick taxi ride to old town and the Malecon (boardwalk) and that's where all the restaurants the I ate at were. If you're interested in heading to old town, I'd be happy to give you a list.

What, a 5 or 10 minute ride? If you have the time and don't mind, please give me a few recommendations? Do you also have any for Cabo? I stopped in PV on the Golden a few years ago, but don't remember where we docked or where we were.

My Mom doesn't want me to get off the ship. She thinks I'll get shot.:eek: I'll go stir-crazy if I have to stay onboard for 7 days.

What, a 5 or 10 minute ride? If you have the time and don't mind, please give me a few recommendations? Do you also have any for Cabo? I stopped in PV on the Golden a few years ago, but don't remember where we docked or where we were.

My Mom doesn't want me to get off the ship. She thinks I'll get shot.:eek: I'll go stir-crazy if I have to stay onboard for 7 days.

Yes, about a 10 miunute cab ride at most. Tell your mom that I have a single girlfriend who goes to PV every year for a month, by herself. She's never had a problem. We walk around there at night all the time and it's safer than some areas in los Angeles.

A few of my favorites

Agave Grill - Morelos 589 Centro

Cafe de Olla in Zona Romantica (Old Town) Basilio Badillo 168-A

Cafe des Artistes - Expensive but so good. Check to make sure they're open for lunch. Guadalupe Sanchez 740 Centro

Memo’s Pancake House in Romantica (Old Town) Basilio Badillo 289 - I ate here a lot. It's my favorite place for breakfast and soooo cheap. The best pancakes.

Burro's Bar in Old Town. Right on the beach and a great place to sit and have a drink and watch the sunset if you're there late enough. I love it here. Huge cheap margaritas. http://www.mexonline.com/burros.htm

I'll send you more as I think of them. Unfortunately I don't know of any in Cabo because we've only been on a cruise and spent all our time at a pool and then Cabo Wabo. Let me know if you need anything else.

Glad to see your review! We're on the Splendor next week on the Lido Deck and can't wait!

Was this Salsa and Salsa tour through Carnival and in Cabo? We wanted to go to the Salsa and Salsa tour, which was in Mazatlan, but since Mazatlan was cancelled we were kinda bummed. How did you book this and where did they take you for the excursion, if you don't mind me asking...

It was a Carnival excursion. We were sitting in our cabin and said, "What should we do tomorrow? Let's check the excursions on the TV." There it was, so we booked it.

Here's the funny part-we took the tender to the pier, then waited a little while for everyone to gather. Tour guide walked us a short distance to a bus. (There were two waiting for us.) One bus left while we sat there. Waited and waited and were told that people from Carnival Spirit were on their way. They show up, the bus starts driving. It backs up from its parking spot, crosses the street, turns right, goes up a little hill, and there we are! We waited 40 minutes for Spirit when we could have walked it in 10. Had everyone laughing.

It was a great excursion, though we did not stay for the Salsa dancing. Honestly, we were too full of food and drink. We toured the beautiful grounds of the resort, walked down the hill, and walked around downtown.

Thank you very much for the review, very informative. Did you have the same problem when you disembark? What time did people start getting off the ship and any LA tour offered by Carnival? Thanks again.

Disembarkation wasn't too bad, but I'm definitely glad our flight was at 1:30. It took a while for customs to clear the ship. We had to vacate the cabins by 8:30, so we went to the Lido pool and sat on deck chairs. Self-assist was called first, around 9:00 am. We had #8 tags, but got tired of waiting so we lined up with the people who had tags #1-5. As soon as we did, tags #6-8 were called. Honestly, it didn't matter because all the luggage was in a huge room, set up by tag #'s. I rather enjoyed being able to relax on a deck chair. I ate a few last meals :D and watched CNN.

We did not see any LA tours, and I wish there were. We have done them in Miami and Fort Lauderdale. Great way to pass some time and see some sights.

Stargate Fan. Thanks so much. You've answered all my questions in detail! I'm going to make notes.

So no smoking on Lido. That's not good (for me anyway):). So I assume all they'll have on deck 10 is just some lounge chairs overlooking the pool below? And, no bar up there I'm sure, right?

From what I'm reading it sounds like the Splendor is alot like the Dream (which I've been on). The place where you get the chicken, if I understand correctly, is up the stairs near the buffet (dessert area) right? They had a hidden-away place like that on the Dream, but it was Italian. It sounds like it's in the same place.

You know, it wouldn't kill me if I just looked at the deck plans. I haven't taken the time to do it! I'll check them out.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions!

Smoking was allowed on the starboard side of the Lido Deck, 9.

Honestly, I only saw one man smoke on deck, and he was walking around. That was it the whole week. There were a few people in the sports bar. It seemed like the majority of the passengers on this cruise did not smoke.

Hi Chrissy :) You are correct the rotissieri is in the same place the pasta place was on the Dream. We are on this sailing with you. Have you visited the roll call yet? There's a great group of people that will be on this sailing with us.

I'll be heading to Medano beach in Cabo. In PV Krystal's is supposed to be very nice and a short walk from the port area. I know there are others that are planning to head to these places as well. Will your parents be staying on the ship? If you are looking for others to go with pop over to the roll call :) Hope to see you there. We were on the Miracle with you in October :) Dh and I went to Dreams with Tamara's group in DR.

Thanks for such a nice review on your recent Splendor Cruise. It was quite informative since we just booked her at the last minute for a May 8 cruise. I guess I will get up early to beat the other Chair Hogs. LOL :D

Have you joined the roll call yet.....I must say, your review last september of your spirit cruise to Hawaii is still one of the best reviews I've ever read/seen. I'm on the same cruise, hope to meet you as your wit and comedy in your review were very funny. Take care.

Stargate Fan,

Quick question, yours was the first sailing with Mexico adjusted to Daylight Savings Time. What did the ship do about time? Did you set your clocks ahead one hour on Monday Night, then back one hour on Friday Night?

Honestly that is all I need to know, I can figure everything else out on my own, we are booking some independant excursions so I need to know what they are doing with Ship time. Thanks again.

Stargate Fan,

Quick question, yours was the first sailing with Mexico adjusted to Daylight Savings Time. What did the ship do about time? Did you set your clocks ahead one hour on Monday Night, then back one hour on Friday Night?

Honestly that is all I need to know, I can figure everything else out on my own, we are booking some independant excursions so I need to know what they are doing with Ship time. Thanks again.

We stayed on ship time, which is Pacific Daylight Time, for the whole cruise. Made for interesting planning of private excursions because Cabo and Mazatlan are Mountain Time. We were reminded constantly to NOT check cell phones for time because they automatically update. We met people who did not listen. One went back to the ship earlier than she wanted and one missed the tenders in Cabo completely and had to stay the night in a hotel. Lucky for him, the weather was good and ship returned the second day.

Thank you for the great review stargate! I can't wait till I get to see the Splendor in May!!! I've looked all over her deckplans and can't find the fish & chips station mentioned anywhere in the Lido Restaurant. Did Carnival do away with it or was it never onboard to begin with and I'm confused with another ship (very possible) or is it onboard and I'm just overlooking it? Thanks!

Hi Chrissy :) You are correct the rotissieri is in the same place the pasta place was on the Dream. We are on this sailing with you. Have you visited the roll call yet? There's a great group of people that will be on this sailing with us.

I'll be heading to Medano beach in Cabo. In PV Krystal's is supposed to be very nice and a short walk from the port area. I know there are others that are planning to head to these places as well. Will your parents be staying on the ship? If you are looking for others to go with pop over to the roll call :) Hope to see you there. We were on the Miracle with you in October :) Dh and I went to Dreams with Tamara's group in DR.

Oh gosh, you're right! I saw your name "UpstateCruizer" and I knew I recognized it from somewhere! It seems like we were discussing where to go in the Dominican Republic on the port boards, right? I could kick myself for not going to Dreams with you all. I told Tamara that I wanted to go at first, but my room mate didn't want to take the chance so we headed to Bayahibe Beach. What a horrible mistake. How is the lady that fell on her head? It wasn't you was it?

Anyway, No, I haven't been to the roll call, but I just might go there. Both of my parents will not get off the ship so I'll just be there by myself with them. I would LOVE to join you if you don't mind. I'll pop over to the roll call sometime this week and we can talk about it, ok? I've just been busy and won't have alot of time to chit chat before I head to CA. I'll just have to make some time. It probably won't be til this weekend.

[quote name='Parkay']Yes, about a 10 miunute cab ride at most. Tell your mom that I have a single girlfriend who goes to PV every year for a month, by herself. She's never had a problem. We walk around there at night all the time and it's safer than some areas in los Angeles.

A few of my favorites

Agave Grill - Morelos 589 Centro

Cafe de Olla in Zona Romantica (Old Town) Basilio Badillo 168-A

Cafe des Artistes - Expensive but so good. Check to make sure they're open for lunch. Guadalupe Sanchez 740 Centro

Memo’s Pancake House in Romantica (Old Town) Basilio Badillo 289 - I ate here a lot. It's my favorite place for breakfast and soooo cheap. The best pancakes.

Burro's Bar in Old Town. Right on the beach and a great place to sit and have a drink and watch the sunset if you're there late enough. I love it here. Huge cheap margaritas. [URL]http://www.mexonline.com/burros.htm[/URL]

I'll send you more as I think of them. Unfortunately I don't know of any in Cabo because we've only been on a cruise and spent all our time at a pool and then Cabo Wabo. Let me know if you need anything else.[/quote]

Thanks so much! Didn't get a chance to see this last night. I'll write all these down. Hopefully, I'll get the chance to make it to one of these places. Thanks again. Last time (only time) I went to Cabo I ate tortilla soup at Cabo Wabo. It's such a touristy place though.

[quote name='stargate fan'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]We stayed on ship time, which is Pacific Daylight Time, for the whole cruise. Made for interesting planning of private excursions because Cabo and Mazatlan are Mountain Time. We were reminded constantly to NOT check cell phones for time because they automatically update. We met people who did not listen. One went back to the ship earlier than she wanted and one missed the tenders in Cabo completely and had to stay the night in a hotel. Lucky for him, the weather was good and ship returned the second day.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Good info stargate fan thanks! So the time on the itinerary 9:30-6 and 7-4 in Cabo and 9-10 in PV were ships time?

[quote name='njoyndride']Good info stargate fan thanks! So the time on the itinerary 9:30-6 and 7-4 in Cabo and 9-10 in PV were ships time?[/QUOTE]

The carnival published times in the itinerary is always the "ship time". Which makes for interesting planning when booking independant excursions because the tour operators will quote you local time which is usually different then what ship time is, and then when you factor in Daylight Savings Time (DST) and some countries who observe it, some who do not, the staggered start/stop times of DST it can become quite confusing. I found the easiest way to "plan" is to just find out what the ship does then there are a lot of world clocks on the internet to help you figure out local time. So for the current splendor runs during DST through August:

Cabo San Lucas, Tuesday:

930am - 6pm (Ship Time/Published Itinerary or Pacific Daylight Time)
1030am - 7pm (Local Time or Mountain Daylight Time)

Cabo San Lucas, Wedensday:

700am - 4pm (Ship Time/Published Itinerary or Pacific Daylight Time)
800am - 5pm (Local Time or Mountain Daylight Time)

Puerto Vallarta, Thursday:

900am - 10pm (Ship Time/Published Itinerary or Pacific Daylight Time)
1100am - 1200(midnight) (Local Time or Central Daylight Time).

So as you can see, especially in PV there can be quite a difference. It's important to realize it, because if you make arrangements to do, lets say ziplining in PV, and the vendor says to meet you at their office at 1030am in downtown PV "local time", if you just glance at Carnivals schedule you would think you had 1.5 hours to get there, when in fact you don't arrive at port until well after the time and would be late and may miss your excursion. I will say that most "reputable" tour operators know when ships arrive/depart but I've seen it time and time again where people miss their excursions/tenders etc because they are not paying attention to the details.

[quote name='sbnuggie']The carnival published times in the itinerary is always the "ship time". Which makes for interesting planning when booking independant excursions because the tour operators will quote you local time which is usually different then what ship time is, and then when you factor in Daylight Savings Time (DST) and some countries who observe it, some who do not, the staggered start/stop times of DST it can become quite confusing. I found the easiest way to "plan" is to just find out what the ship does then there are a lot of world clocks on the internet to help you figure out local time. So for the current splendor runs during DST through August:

Cabo San Lucas, Tuesday:

930am - 6pm (Ship Time/Published Itinerary or Pacific Daylight Time)
1030am - 7pm (Local Time or Mountain Daylight Time)

Cabo San Lucas, Wedensday:

700am - 4pm (Ship Time/Published Itinerary or Pacific Daylight Time)
800am - 5pm (Local Time or Mountain Daylight Time)

Puerto Vallarta, Thursday:

900am - 10pm (Ship Time/Published Itinerary or Pacific Daylight Time)
1100am - 1200(midnight) (Local Time or Central Daylight Time).

So as you can see, especially in PV there can be quite a difference. It's important to realize it, because if you make arrangements to do, lets say ziplining in PV, and the vendor says to meet you at their office at 1030am in downtown PV "local time", if you just glance at Carnivals schedule you would think you had 1.5 hours to get there, when in fact you don't arrive at port until well after the time and would be late and may miss your excursion. I will say that most "reputable" tour operators know when ships arrive/depart but I've seen it time and time again where people miss their excursions/tenders etc because they are not paying attention to the details.[/quote]

Thanks for the clear explaination. Looking at answers from last year Carnival did move the clocks up an hour during this time of year. Maybe with the new itinerary they gave that up. I was going to do a 10:45 zip, guess it will be 11:45. Thanks again sbnuggie. :)

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Parkay']Unfortunately the port is on the north side of PV near the marina (and walmart) so I never ventured to that area. It's a quick taxi ride to old town and the Malecon (boardwalk) and that's where all the restaurants the I ate at were. If you're interested in heading to old town, I'd be happy to give you a list.[/quote]

A Walmart! Wow. If i buy a case of water, will Carnival allow it onboard?
thanks!

• 1 month later...
The serenity deck is nice, but thought it odd they put it right below the mini golf where all the kids are yelling and screaming and having a good time, I know my kids were and my wife and I talked about the odd placement but I guess there is only so much room on a ship. Here is a view from the mini golf, u can see the serenity deck right below it, this was on Friday afternoon, it's really windy coming back to Long Beach on Friday and Saturday.

[quote name='ChrissyBTX']Hi Parkay. Can you give me some restaurant recommendations in PV and also Cabo if you have any. I'm not wandering off too far from where the ship docks. So, if there are any great places to eat within walking distance I'd love to know. Thanks![/QUOTE]

I had a good time at the Mango Deck in Cabo. It's right on the main beach, food was good, drinks were 2 for 1 and they helped us get a decent deal to parasail. It's probably a 20 minute walk from the port (nothing to worry about on this walk) or you can water taxi it and be there in no time.

[quote name='njoyndride']Thanks for the clear explaination. Looking at answers from last year Carnival did move the clocks up an hour during this time of year. Maybe with the new itinerary they gave that up. I was going to do a 10:45 zip, guess it will be 11:45. Thanks again sbnuggie. :)[/quote]The Captain and the CD decide whether to change time zones or not. I've done a lot of MR cruises and sometimes we change to match Mountain time and other times stay on Pacific time the whole cruise. The one thing we've never done is change to Central to match PV. Of course now that I've said that it will happen.:p
Enjoy
Ron

Archived