21st bday - Catch 22

mspeg

If she goes to school in or near any big city, the local passport agency can issue her a passport on the spot. It may take 4-6 hours but they will do it right there for the proper fee. You must make an appointment though...

My 2 Cents...about the drinking "problem"..LOL! I thought that I read somewhere, either on this board or on RCCLs site that a parent can sign a waiver for their child (age 18 - 20) to be able to drink once in international waters. I'm not 100% sure of this, but it may be worth checking out. Happy Bday to your DD!!

RCCL allows people aged 18 - 20 to drink beer and wine with the signed waiver of their parents.

But I think the OP stated that this is not the issue of her concern.

Don´t want to be mean or sound harsh I just think this is a perfect example for traveling with a passport. No needs to worry about proper documentation.

Sorry to the OP for this comment, I know it wasn´t an option for you anymore and don´t answers your question. No pun intended.

Thanks everyone for all your input.I am the daughter in question in the OP. To answer a few things... RCI has many many different answers for what immigration will accept. It is apparent though that my license must be valid when i get off the ship in order to even board. The age doesnt play into that at all and has nothing to do with drinking. It is simply because it expires.

I finally got in touch with Immigration this morning- only to find the system is still flawed. THe first women I spoke to could not give me an answer, so transfered me to a higher up person. That gentleman, who wouldnt repeat his name, also did not have an answer except to repeat about a passport or valid license. He gave me the number for another agency, but they have not answered the phone and it continues to ring. I would glady go get a passport but i have to make an appoinment to get one. I am a full time college student and the closest office is over 2 hours away. I dont think I would be able to get an appointment, get there, and then receive the passport in time. If that is what it comes down to, I will glady try.

I don't remember who suggested it, but today I called my congresswomen's office who refered me to my local Senator. I spoke to two very nice people and one is calling the DMV for me today to try to get my license early. He told me more often then not, it will work in my favor. The gentleman will be calling this afternoon to let me know if i will have my license on Friday, as we fly on Saturday. I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks again for all your help! Keep your fingers crossed- I'll be heartbroken to be turned down in florida for my birthday cruise which i've waited the whole year for!

Beachbum... mspeg...

Call the passport office...

Get an appointment... you can have a passport issued same day... with a fee.

A friend of our's daughter won tickets to Paris ... for a weekend no less... and they needed their passports in a hurry... I think that the fee is in the neighborhood or $55 for the regular passport... and $65 for "expedient" service.

You need an appointment for this service though.

In NYS you can also get a "Sheriff's ID card", generally issued at the County Sheriff's Department. It will not void the license, and will solve all your problems.

I'd call your county sheriff's office to inquire. There's a small fee and you get the ID on the spot.

Anne

I hope you are able to get it cleared up. I have an expired license story I'm not suggesting you duplicate, but thought I would share.

When we went on our first cruise in May 2002, I realized while standing in the RC checkin line that my license had expired in April. I almost started to cry. I couldn't decide if I should throw myself on their mercy or keep quiet. I knew my dh would croak when he found out.

Well, I finally decided I'd been through 3 checkpoints on airlines to get there and no one had noticed, so I didn't say a word. RC didn't say anything and I told my dh once we were safely in our room.

It didn't even occur to me that they might not let me back into the country. I did briefly imagine them not allowing me to fly home and how mad my dh would be if we had to rent a car, but decided not to worry.

Everything worked out fine for me, but I made for darn sure my license was valid for my second cruise.

Good luck,

Dawn

templed- I would glady go get a passport, but I am a full time college student, and I said earlier I am easily 2 hours away from a passport office that could get it for me in time. If it wasn't midterms week, it may be a different story but I can't miss these tests.

Ducklite- I will be giving my sheriff's department a call- thanks for the advice!

Anyone in NYS ever get a duplicate license? or at least know how that works? Getting one of those is the advice that came from my senator's office.

Being from NYS and having turned 21 last year, I am familiar with their poor system. You will not receive your license until almost 2 weeks after your birthday. If you go to the DMV before your birthday to renew your license, they will provide you with a state temporary ID. It is basically a blue piece of cardboard with one half your information, and the other half the receipt showing your renewal of license.

From RCCL.com:

"In the absence of a passport, a birth certificate (original, notarized copy or certified copy), plus a picture ID card issued by a federal, state or local government agency is required. A voter registration card or Social Security Card are not considered to be proof of citizenship."

If you provide a birth certificate, with drivers license (expired) and your temporary license (without photograph) this is state authorized and considered a valid form of identification. At the DMV I questioned this when renewing my license (2 weeks prior to my birthday) and they told me that I need to hang on to both until the permanent shows up. You should not have any problem with these documents.

If you are still concerned, and live near a military base, you can go there and pay (I believe $20) for a military issued government ID. They produce these on the spot. I live near a base and have friends who received ID in this manner.

Regarding alcohol, although stated it was not a concern, you are turning 21! Even though the drinking age is 18 on RCCL, anyone 18-20 (age at date of departure) does need a signed waiver from a parent or guardian during the pier checkin process. Once signed, you can purchase beer or wine (not hard liquor) on the ship.

Best of luck.

Anyone in NYS ever get a duplicate license? or at least know how that works? Getting one of those is the advice that came from my senator's office.

Well I have to say that is rather disappointing advice. It sounds like they didn't understand the problem at all. What good does it do to have two licenses that expire mid-way through your cruise?

The course of action that I would push for is a call from the Senator's office to a DMV weenie somewhere to get off their cushion and FedEx the thing to you today!!

Maybe I'm overly optomisitic.

Theron

I understand your concern. I agree with others here that NY does seem to have a flawed system for photo IDs. When I moved to NY from Kentucky and applied for a new license, I was without any picture ID at all for several weeks. I had never been out of the county or on a cruise at that point, so I didn't have a passport. They, of course, take your old ID when applying for the new one, but do not give you the new one on the spot as they do in other states. You have to wait several weeks for the new ID to be mailed to you. I asked them at the time what I would do if I needed a photo ID in the mean time. I was pretty much told "tough luck". My information would be in the NYS computer system if I got pulled over while driving. The problem was that I live in NYC where you have to show a government issued photo ID to enter some buildings due to increased security post 9/11. I have even had to show my photo ID to get down my own street near the UN due to security during protests. I told them there was a chance I would need to fly during those few weeks and asked what I should do. I was told not to travel!

Good luck. Please let us know how it turns out!

Kelly

• 2 weeks later...

Just to finish the story I thought I would let you all know that we made it both on and off the Jewel. My daughter had a temporary license that indicated that it had not expired but showed her 'real' license and only one person even commented that her license was going to expire.

Thanks for your helpful comments!

BTW - We had a great cruise!

DO they clip ID's and give you a receipt. I know in Minnesota, they will clip your ID when you go renew it, and give you a receipt. The paper receipt MUST be shown with the clipped expired ID to make it valid until the new one comes.

I am not sure how new york works, but a lot of states operate this way!

Archived