watch for additional charges on your credit card when you get home!

makai 7

This is why we always purchase shipboard credit, with our card before we leave. We still get the miles and points, and get a refund on the remainder.

Makes perfect sense to us. One time waited 2 weeks for a hold to come off. As well as random charges after the cruise.

This has been a better way for us.

I do the same thing and got a very nice refund this morning.

On the other hand, I must add that twice during the cruise I ended this morning I received receipts that were charged to another passenger. If the card reader has a problem with your card, the previous passenger is charged. After it happened the second time, I checked all my receipts to make sure my charges were correct.

Rich

I think the spirit of this thread is a good reminder. I always ask for a printout of my onboard account the night before disembarking. I'm not so good in the morning! On our last cruise I questioned a $19 vague charge and was told it was for our tansportation to the airport in FLL. Ok.

I missed the $15 pp charge which was for tamarind which I also bought online prior to the cruise- my bad I was too lazy when I got home to dispute the $15.

Also of note I bought the $250 drink card which got me $250 in drinks-no discount. Fine but when I knew I would still have a balance at the end of the cruise they would only credit me up to $225. The quote unquote balance of $25 which used to be the bonus they gave you (pay $225 to get $250) they would not credit me even though I paid the full amount so I spent the evening of the last night of our cruise drinking margaritas at the seaview bar to burn the last of my card.

After reading the start of this thread we checked our credit card statement and compared it to the HAL printed statement given us just prior to disembarkation from our 21-day Ryndam cruise on March 10 and found an unexpected added charge of $3.51. Following the advice on this thread I e-mailed "HAL Onboard Accounts" with a query and today I received a reply that the item was "posted to your stateroom in error". The charge has been removed from the credit card.

I guess it pays to check!

RonJoan

Back in '11 after our Alaska cruise I was charged $6.79 more than the last onboard statement showed. I never pursued it, but from reading much of this thread, I guess I should have. Seems like a trend. If it happens again, I will make sure it is corrected. I also did not know you could have all the items removed from the refrigerator (mini-bar) when you arrive. Sounds like a good idea, and could be the source of the "discrepancy".

Thanks for the heads-up on that.

Back in '11 after our Alaska cruise I was charged $6.79 more than the last onboard statement showed. I never pursued it, but from reading much of this thread, I guess I should have. Seems like a trend. If it happens again, I will make sure it is corrected. I also did not know you could have all the items removed from the refrigerator (mini-bar) when you arrive. Sounds like a good idea, and could be the source of the "discrepancy".

Thanks for the heads-up on that.

We have never been able to have the mini-bar contents removed. One time the cabin steward placed it in the ottoman at the desk and since then we have done the same - the last morniing we just open the ottman so they can see where the stuff is. We have never had an issue with being charged for something in the mini fridge (nor have we had charges made that differed from our last statement)

We have never been able to have the mini-bar contents removed. One time the cabin steward placed it in the ottoman at the desk and since then we have done the same - the last morniing we just open the ottman so they can see where the stuff is. We have never had an issue with being charged for something in the mini fridge (nor have we had charges made that differed from our last statement)

I have looked on the statement and cannot see where the discrepancy came from, so I am puzzled. The only other thing I can imagine is that it somehow was tax levied on some liquor purchased for the cabin which was indicated to be delivered "in port". From what I understand, they can levy tax on those bottles. So maybe....? Anyway, I have now learned to mark the purchase to deliver "at sea" to avoid any extra charges. I should have asked HAL at the time, but was too busy and never got to it, so it will remain a mystery. Thanks for your input Boytjie!

Ours was removed and put in a drawer under the bed. On the last morning when inventory was done we showed the steward where it was, he checked it.... and a charge appeared on our account later! However, it was quickly removed after a phone call to HAL, but it was annoying that we had to do that.

Resurrection alert!

I think so too! OP talks about needing another bar of soap from the room steward. We bring our own dial soap bar for the shower now. For many years now, the bathroom soap is liquid. The only bar soap I recall HAL supplying is yellow glycerine (not our favorite) for the sink. Hmmmmmm.

Archived