Capnpugwash is going to the Canaries again

capnpugwash

Heywood, I think that my observations are very fair to the people involved, their opinion might differ.

Update No 17

Today has passed for me, pretty much as yesterday did. I went to the spa and spent a couple of hours there, which was pleasant; there was only one other person there so it all seemed very exclusive. I was a little hungry at about 2 o’clock so I went to the Lido buffet and it is really difficult up there. All the displays are wreathed in cling film and every single item has to be served to the passengers, this even applies to the wrapped pats of butter, I didn’t realise this and reached for one only to be stopped and so advised. I don’t go there often enough for it to pose a problem for me and I hope that the Norovirus alert level may be reduced from red this evening.

The clouds are starting to build up this afternoon but they are all fairly light in colour so I don’t think that they contain any rain. We are leaving at 4pm today to start the long 800 and some mile slog up to Vigo. We are due there at 8am the day after tomorrow so we will have 39 hours to get there. We move clocks forward tonight by one hour onto Central European Time for our visit to Vigo.

Tonight is a semi formal dress code.

More later.

Heywood, I think that my observations are very fair to the people involved, their opinion might differ.

Update No 17

Today has passed for me, pretty much as yesterday did. I went to the spa and spent a couple of hours there, which was pleasant; there was only one other person there so it all seemed very exclusive. I was a little hungry at about 2 o’clock so I went to the Lido buffet and it is really difficult up there. All the displays are wreathed in cling film and every single item has to be served to the passengers, this even applies to the wrapped pats of butter, I didn’t realise this and reached for one only to be stopped and so advised. I don’t go there often enough for it to pose a problem for me and I hope that the Norovirus alert level may be reduced from red this evening.

The clouds are starting to build up this afternoon but they are all fairly light in colour so I don’t think that they contain any rain. We are leaving at 4pm today to start the long 800 and some mile slog up to Vigo. We are due there at 8am the day after tomorrow so we will have 39 hours to get there. We move clocks forward tonight by one hour onto Central European Time for our visit to Vigo.

Tonight is a semi formal dress code.

More later.

Think that Norvirus came on board Feb/Mch cruise, and never left.

Certainly during the Canal cruise, there were many cases of people confined to their cabins for several days. I was one of them, I used my own medications which I always carry,after consulting on that with the doctor in my cabin.

Was released after 3 days. The paper we have to sign before boarding does not seem to be of use, since the virus can come on board as the result of passengers going ashore during the cruise. Just a thought.

I was on the Atlantic HomeComing cruise that left USA on the 29 March and arrived back in UK on 14 April and we did not have a hint of the Norovirus in any shape or form so perhaps it was 'imported' back onto the ship in Southampton. On previous trips have had to endure the deprivations of the Lido 'dont touch' policy and no nibbles with cocktails, so my sympathies are with you Capt. Am enjoying the log a lot.

Update No 18

We have been warned that we are heading into some heavy weather overnight; the seas are reported to be large, heading to very large. We are cruising at just over 21 knots which we need to maintain to make our arrival on time. The ship is dancing around currently and we are still experiencing fairly slight seas, although there is quite a lot of fore and aft pitching as the rollers on the sea are being met almost head on and they are quite long. There is a slight degree of rolling, but it is no real problem at the moment.

Dinner was a very nice meal but sadly the table seems to have almost split into two separate camps with very little conversation taking place between them. In all sincerity I can’t say that I am upset by these developments but perhaps a little disappointed. I will get over it though.

The red alert continues and I really feel for the crew who have to work so hard anyway, and now to have this extra work to do is a serious burden. They are very uncomplaining and just accept that it needs to be done. Every handrail is being almost constantly wiped and when you touch them on the stairs, in the lifts or in the corridors your hand comes away unpleasantly damp. It feels very strange but certainly seems to work.

More later.

I'm very curious about how prevalent the norovirus is. As one who has never taken a cruise, I've certainly heard about it on cruise ships through the media but I believed the media over hyped it and that it probably isn't any more common on cruise ships then it is in the general public. For those that cruise frequently, how often have you heard about it?

I'm very curious about how prevalent the norovirus is. As one who has never taken a cruise, I've certainly heard about it on cruise ships through the media but I believed the media over hyped it and that it probably isn't any more common on cruise ships then it is in the general public. For those that cruise frequently, how often have you heard about it?

Rgaudet, you might find this website very informative: http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

Just my (lucky) personal experience, in the 8 QM2 voyages that I've taken, there were zero norvo outbreaks. -S.

No, not the dreaded lurgy, nor the late night antics in Hemispheres. Instead, after over 60 days at sea during the last couple of years, with no ill effects, I finally succombed to the most dreadful sea-sickness yesterday pm, and didn't surface from my cabin until 12 noon today. Feeling brighter, of that there is no doubt, and will have probably reduced my post-cruise tonnage considerably, (so the dress for tonight's formal might even look decent, if I get into it!) but my word - was I motion-afflicted! I think I took the tablets too late in the day for them to have much effect, and the ginger in the Cosmo in the CClub just didn't hit the spot either, so I retired to my boudoir whilst Mr Phoebecat enjoyed snails in garlic (my favourite), rack of lamb (oh my!) and then apple strudel (sobs!). He was very solicitous of my comfort and well being, but there really wasn't much he nor anyone else could do. I clung onto the bed sheets (and much travelled, well-loved Bear) and got through it. The weather is improving - the Captain has announced he changed course slight to outrun the weather and for that I am Truly Grateful - and I think I might make it to my spa appointment this pm - which is good -going.

As to our ports of call - Tenerife and Lanzarote did nothing for either of us, so we had ship-days instead and enjoyed leisurely lunches, long reads and plenty of laughs. Just a few days to go - always a sad thought, but another one to look forward to later in the summer, and we booked the Baltics for next Spring which should be fascinating.

And no, no further dress-revealing moments, and as for where the Magician keeps his wand? I'm far too much of a lady to divulge That secret!!

I've been under "red alert" once - and as someone who doesn't normally frequent the buffet I found very little changed in terms of what I was experiencing. Save for the numbers of crew cleaning! This is against some 175 days at sea.

We were said to be a "plague ship" (Daily Mail) and reportedly would be refused entry to our next port (yep. Daily Mail again) but it was all complete nonsense.

The bug is prevalent outside ships - which is not what the Media like to portray.

WD

Update No 19

This morning the sea surface is quite broken with waves of 10 feet and the ship appears to be meeting the small waves side on, this is causing some corkscrewing. Over night we had some serious pitching and the ship seemed to almost stop as it hit each wave, I am sure that this was an illusion but that is precisely how it felt. The sun is just rising and the sea is deep grey and we have a lot of leaden clouds above us. There is always a chance that they will burn off but I wouldn’t bet on it.

I have a busy day planned, at 11am I have a champagne tasting in the Veuve Clicquot Bar, this is followed by my CWC lunch in Todd English, I have never sampled his food so it will be interesting to see how it is. After that, at 2pm they are screening the King’s Speech film in the theatre, I have heard great reports so I will try to watch it for myself. After all of that work I will endeavour to go to the spa to prepare for the Diamond level cocktail party. The things that I have to do, and this is supposed to be a holiday!

I was fortunate to be seated at the stern windows again this morning and the wake of the ship is magnificent, we are obviously running very quickly through the water and the result is a long trail of aerated sea water which shows colours between white and green. The sky has lightened significantly and there are large patches of blue sky but the sea continues to misbehave very nicely.

Because of the design of the ship there is no space for the vomit bags to be hung at the head of each stairway; instead they are in the lift lobbies on each deck. As I was leaving after breakfast a young girl brought all of her breakfast up, unfortunately she was sitting in the restaurant at the time. I really hope that she was just seasick and that she was not a Norovirus victim. I scuttled past the scene keeping as much room between us as possible so hopefully I am unaffected. It is now almost 10am so I am off to taste the champagne soon.

Before the tasting started I bumped into Julie Rynd and she told me that Cunard were making an announcement today about the identity of the new Commodore, I really hope that it is Christopher Rynd and we should find out later.

The champagne was excellent but Cunard have altered the content of the tasting, they now only serve 5 types and have dropped La Grande Dame from the list, not surprisingly this is the most expensive that used to be served. It is available should you so choose but the price per glass is $40 plus 15% service. Another bean counter cut. Notwithstanding this economy we had a great deal of fun and it lasted until 12.30.

I then went to Todd English for lunch and it was magnificent. I don’t usually eat lunch on board but this meal was exceptional. I started with flatbread with figs and prosciutto, followed by leg of lamb gyro, which was similar to a doner kebab but absolutely wonderful. The meal was completed with banana crème brulee. I had a glass of Chilean Gewürztraminer to start followed by a Cunard Label Pauillac. It was a stunning meal and well worth the supplement. Impossible to eat every day but once per trip would certainly work.

I did start to watch the King’s Speech but I couldn’t settle, probably due to the champagne and rich food so I am back in my cabin and will head to the spa soon.

The sea is fantastic, a mixture of petrol blue and air force blue, we have waves between 7 and 10 metres and a force seven wind. Glorious sailing weather

More later.

Of interest, in the ports where a shuttle bus is needed, are these still complimentary or like all else is there now a $$ charge?

In Tenerife and Lanzarote the shuttles were free. They are provided by the port or the local Chamber of Commerce, not Cunard.

Update No 20

I went to the spa and did my usual few things; there were actually other people in there today which was a rarity. After I came out I was still a little hot and bothered so I went out on deck to cool down by the pool. It was shut and netted due to the movement of the ship, I thought that this was a little overkill until after one particularly strong pitch, a large spout of pool water shot into the air by the Winter Garden and was whipped swiftly away by the strong wind to end up as a cold shower for all those unfortunate passengers sat in the vicinity, fortunately I wasn’t sat in range.

I have been resting in my cabin this afternoon as we continue our northerly track; we have just passed Cape St Vincent which is the south western corner of Portugal. The weather has improved although the sea is still being playful and passengers would be well advised to use one hand on the handrail as we make our way through the corridors on board. The official designation is Rough Mounting Seas of 4.5 metres, the temperature is 58/14 degrees currently and we have 2301 miles to run to Southampton and are due at Vigo at 9am tomorrow. It has just started to rain and the drops are very big, the wind is blowing them onto the windows of the cabin on the balcony.

The cabin phone has just rung and it was the Assistant Food & Beverage Manager, Anton Nootenboom saying that they has been following my musings on this site and as it seems that I am not too enamoured with the tablemates, they can offer we three a new table in the restaurant if I would like to change. Rather than deciding unilaterally I spoke to the other pair and we have agreed to take up the offer. It was a very kind and thoughtful thing for the F & B office to do. A thought has just occurred to me; the cynic lurking within me wonders if this offer was prompted by complaints from the other table guests. But I don’t think that is the case.

It is the last formal tonight and I am going to the CWC cocktails at 7.45, so I have to go and dress. I will be able to congratulate the new Commodore in person.

More later

Hi Cap'n. I admit this must sound terribly naive, but how did the Food & Beverage Manager identify you as being the author of the posts? Even assuming that you were recognised by your photo (avatar), your name isn't posted (unless your name really is Cap'n Pugwash:). How widespread do you think the practice of monitoring this site is by ship staff? Very curious. S.

Hi Cap'n. I admit this must sound terribly naive, but how did the Food & Beverage Manager identify you as being the author of the posts? Even assuming that you were recognised by your photo (avatar), your name isn't posted (unless your name really is Cap'n Pugwash:). How widespread do you think the practice of monitoring this site is by ship staff? Very curious. S.

I guess there aren't many people who got upgraded to an A2 cabin from (whatever grade he said) - who are travelling solo and are also booked on countless QM2 trips this year ;) - and sit at a table of ten on a late sitting?

When I did my blog on QV in December, Cunard tweeted about it whilst I was sailing, so they are pretty active in reading forums, facebook, etc. That's a fantastic sign - doesn't mean things will get fixed per se, but at least they take an interest and maybe some of the things we discuss make it into changes in the ships.

If you read John Heald's Facebook page he asks about 5-10 things a day sometimes to his 11,000+ Carnival followers and he gets all sorts of things changed for them, it's an interesting customer service experiment they are trying there.

Any Cap'n, enjoy your last formal! The sailing weather sounds perfect for me!

Chris

I guess there aren't many people who got upgraded to an A2 cabin from (whatever grade he said) - who are travelling solo and are also booked on countless QM2 trips this year ;) - and sit at a table of ten on a late sitting?

When I did my blog on QV in December, Cunard tweeted about it whilst I was sailing, so they are pretty active in reading forums, facebook, etc. That's a fantastic sign - doesn't mean things will get fixed per se, but at least they take an interest and maybe some of the things we discuss make it into changes in the ships.

If you read John Heald's Facebook page he asks about 5-10 things a day sometimes to his 11,000+ Carnival followers and he gets all sorts of things changed for them, it's an interesting customer service experiment they are trying there.

Any Cap'n, enjoy your last formal! The sailing weather sounds perfect for me!

Chris

Hi Lunaticg, yes I understand what you are saying about the ability to identify passengers by certain characteristics. But I would have thought that unless a poster signed his or her real name to posts, that anonymity was to be respected, even if his/her identity could be ascertained through other means.

For example, if I were the Hotel Manager, I would not have mentioned Cap'n Pugwashes posts, but rather disceetly noted that the table seemed rather large for the current group of passengers to easily converse, and would Cap'n and his two friends prefer to be moved to a table for four?

Regarding John Heald's blog posts: whatever advantage (if any) it provides to CCL was lost on me, but I should mention that I read only a couple of his recent posts, having no desire to read further entries.

Cheers,

Salacia

Hi Lunaticg, yes I understand what you are saying about the ability to identify passengers by certain characteristics. But I would have thought that unless a poster signed his or her real name to posts, that anonymity was to be respected, even if his/her identity could be ascertained through other means.

For example, if I were the Hotel Manager, I would not have mentioned Cap'n Pugwashes posts, but rather disceetly noted that the table seemed rather large for the current group of passengers to converse, and would Cap'n and his two friends prefer to be moved to a table for four?

Regarding John Heald's blog posts: whatever advantage (if any) it provides to CCL was lost on me.

Cheers,

Salacia

Yes, I agree it's rather strange that they have acted on a musing of his rather than a direct complaint/request. Maybe they thought they were doing a favour? (It appears they have..) I guess you can look at it two ways, one they are proactive and helpful and two, they are creepy and stalking passengers who blog live :D

Clearly it's working well for Carnival (John's blog) - personally, as a non-Carnival customer I have read it and thought 'that really isn't the cruiseline for me' - in the name of research I would still take a Carnival cruise at somepoint though, just like I plan to try all of the big lines eventually.. :)

Must stop getting hooked on the Cunard ones though first!

Chris

Yes, I agree it's rather strange that they have acted on a musing of his rather than a direct complaint/request. Maybe they thought they were doing a favour? (It appears they have..) I guess you can look at it two ways, one they are proactive and helpful and two, they are creepy and stalking passengers who blog live :D

Clearly it's working well for Carnival (John's blog) - personally, as a non-Carnival customer I have read it and thought 'that really isn't the cruiseline for me' - in the name of research I would still take a Carnival cruise at somepoint though, just like I plan to try all of the big lines eventually.. :)

Must stop getting hooked on the Cunard ones though first!

Chris

:eek: Yikes, I don't think they were stalking anyone! I believe that they were being proactive and helpful to a certain extent, while at the same time - indiscreet. In cases such as a blog where a person signs their real full name, anomymity is not expected - but that is not the case here.

And I believe it is a sound business practice for any company to follow what is being written about the company on blogs and forums. It's interesting to see how a company (in this instance, Cunard) reacts to those posts.

Cheers,

Salacia

Trust me: Shoreside and especially onboard staff know the CC screen names of the regular passengers and closely monitor everything. It can be easy to figure out, especially by cross referencing CC postings with FB and Twitter.

Just think of it as "royal big brother" watching!

Update No 21

I didn’t make the cocktail party as I got waylaid in the Commodore Club, it was, as always, very pleasant so ay 8.30 I headed down for dinner at our new table. We all met up at the desk of the Maitre d’ and he took us to a lovely table for 4 at the stern of the ship next to the windows. The view of the sea and the lovely wake was awesome. Our waiters, head waiter and sommelier were all wonderfully attentive and the meal was excellent.

After dinner I went back to the Commodore Club and then at 11.30 a crowd of us went to the quiz in the pub. We got 16/20 mainly due to me not knowing the venue for the 1980 Olympics and how many stars there are on the flag of New Zealand. The victors had 19/20 so we were in contention but well off the pace. Back in the bar we resumed our samplings. And at 2am most of us headed back to bed.

I found a beautiful Aquascutum box on the bed containing a gift from the CWC, it is a leather box lined with suede and seems to be for studs, collar stiffeners an cuff links, very nice indeed.

There is an electrical storm in front of the ship on the port quarter and sheet lightening is flashing across the sky. It is so wonderful to watch the power of nature. I am sitting here with the curtains drawn waiting for the next flash.

More later.

Update No 21

I found a beautiful Aquascutum box on the bed containing a gift from the CWC, it is a leather box lined with suede and seems to be for studs, collar stiffeners an cuff links, very nice indeed.

There is an electrical storm in front of the ship on the port quarter and sheet lightening is flashing across the sky. It is so wonderful to watch the power of nature. I am sitting here with the curtains drawn waiting for the next flash.

More later.

A classy and well-deserved gift from CWC, and a nice show from Mother Nature as well.

Well-done, Capn!

Thanks again Cap'n.

I always wonder what would happen if, for example, one of the ladies were to read these posts and recognise herself :eek:

Or an even worse scenario could be that I was a tablemate and read about me :rolleyes:

I have to say though that I am very easy to get on with, am adaptable and enthusiastic and would not complain so I hope I get the job :D

Hey heywood, I'm with you on that. If I ever have the good fortune to sail on a ship with you, I hope we are seated at the same table. Mum's the word. :)

Happy Easter to you & yours,

Salacia

Archived