Capnpugwash is going to the Canaries again

capnpugwash

Loved Funchal

Quite close to the harbour (~10 minutes walk) I found a very good Tourist shop, which let you sample the different varieties of Madeira before decidng which to buy....needed careful deliberation....and a few second opinions!

Quite close to the harbour (~10 minutes walk) I found a very good Tourist shop, which let you sample the different varieties of Madeira before decidng which to buy....needed careful deliberation....and a few second opinions!

I'll bet it did!!! :D

Did you spot any good fridge magnet shops?

J

Cap'nP

Every time I cruise on Cunard, I ask that they put a listing of films in the cabin but no one seems to take any notice.

Like you I have trouble with the TV "list", find it confusing, and I am unable to write down the film ,channel,time before it is gone. As you say we get so many pieces of paper re "tat" not supplying passengers with Film list does not seem passenger friendly.

Crepes Suzette, your comment suprised me. In Feb/Mch, it was very odd, in Lido at lunch very good crepes (put on your own toppings) were served, then in Britannia at lunch , excellent sea food crepes were served. Throughly enjoyed them

Then at dinner,on the Hawaii section of cruise one night we got the most G** awful crepes . Thick like pancakes, dark brown, so hard you needed a knife to cut them, in a sea of sauce like Mrs Butterworths,topped with ice cream and slivered almonds. Those of us that ordered them, just took one mouthful and pushed the plate away. I tried again on the Panama canal section, with same results.

Very odd indeed. How can the kitchen serve excellent crepes at lunch and such terrible ones at dinner?

Quote from Capnpugwash "Last night after the Karaoke ended, the crowd that I was with thought that it was time to head to Hemispheres,the disco bar.I pondered it for a while and and took the saner option and headed up to bed." End of Quote.I admit that if it was me I would have stayed with the crowd that I was with and go with them to Hemispheres where I could do my lousy impersonation of Tony Manero portrayed by John Travolta from the movie Saturday Night Fever and if anyone is interested(I doubt that anyone is really interested) and is aboard QM2 from August 22nd to September 5th of this year can again see me do my lousy Tony Manero impersonation at the G32 Club aboard QM2 :o .So Hemispheres aboard Queen Victoria stayed opened until 3AM, well at least that is later than the G32 disco club aboard QM2 that seems to always close at 2AM. Regards,Jerry

Cap'n,

Enjoying your blog immensely and please pass on my warmest regards to Mr and Mrs Phoebecat.

Unfortunately, the bridgecam appears to be stuck in a time warp, and so I have not been able to follow your progress. However, the Funchal Harbour webcam is (as I write) showing your docking manoevers, so I'm glad to know everyone has arrived safely.

Looking forward to hearing about your on-shore adventures.

Update No 8

We are currently heading slightly south of west as we circle the island of Madeira clockwise from the east towards Funchal, on our port side are two small islands call Chão and Bugio. We have a little over 90 minutes to reach our safe haven in the harbour of Funchal, so I would expect that will be safely secured alongside on time or perhaps a little early.

It is now a little after 5.30pm and we have arrived at Funchal, we are turning through 180 degrees and backing into the harbour, I imagine that this will allow us to easily depart tomorrow evening without too much manoeuvring. I just went up to deck 10, and for the first time in longer that I care to mention, I ignored the Commodore Club and went out on deck. It was quite cool, cloudy and there was misty rain falling. In the short time that I remained on deck, I was able to see that we are the only ship in the port. We should therefore be in pole position for easy disembarkation to access this lovely town. Funchal is positioned in a sweeping bay backed by a panoramic range of hills. These are topped this evening by dark grey rain laden clouds. I think that islands are often afflicted with weather of this nature in the early evening, something to do with the warmth of the land mass attracting moisture from the surrounding sea. Not that I pretend to be an expert in these matters, but it does seem to make sense and often happens.

Tonight, the dress code on board is Elegant Casual; it will be interesting to see how many people decide to go ashore for dinner this evening. I have just unwrapped a new shirt which I thought I might wear tonight, in spite, or more likely because of its’ newness it was covered in creases. What is a man to do? I found the laundrette about 20 doors along the corridor and, having worked out how to operate it, I ironed my shirt. This was a very successful effort and it looks very smart.

Back in the cabin, the Captain has just broadcast throughout the ship advising of an increase in the number of cases of Norovirus being reported to the Medical Centre staff. They have started a rigorous sanitation programme to try and stop the further spread of this very common virus. Maximum hand washing is one of the best ways to prevent it, a 20 second wash with soap really works, no buffet for me.

We have been cleared by Immigration to disembark but they require all passengers to carry a photo ID in addition to their cruise card. They are providing complimentary shuttles from the dock to the town centre until 10.30pm tonight and I suppose that they will recommence tomorrow morning.

More later.

Hi Capn. Hope you enjoy your visit to Funchal. I've never been to that part of the world, so I'm really looking forward to your next report.

BTW, one trick I use to un-wrinkle clothes on board is to bring the garment out to the balcony and let the damp air blown through the garment for a few minutes (or alternatively, hanging it in the bathroom while taking a shower). That takes out some of the wrinkles and, being damp makes it easier to iron if necessary.

Bad luck about the noro business; seems your earlier suspicions were justified.

Best wishes,

Salacia

Capnpugwash, as you know we are old and tried friends on Cunard, and I absolutely love your travelogues. So I shall presume upon our friendship in this public forum to offer some grammatical advice from a retired Professor of English. You don't need to "brush up your Shakespeare," but please do brush up your usage of the word it. The possessive case of it never, ever has an apostrophe as is common with the possessive case in English in most instances. "It's" means "It is." "Its" is the possessive case as in the term, "because of its newness" [that is, the shirt's]. Like tying a bow tie, it is quite simple when one learns the basics. English is not always logical, and neither is masculine or feminine in French. I am glad to be able to try to point out his hangnail in my life. Please save me from those who will criticize my forthright approach.

Cheers!

Lord Kay of Shandon.

I prefer how the Cap'n posts currently. His posts are always very informative and a great asset to the forum as they are done live. From someone who has also done live posts on here it's (ooh that word!) not easy blogging whilst on a cruise ship. You are constrained by time and by connectivity issues. The last thing on someone's mind who is prepared to share their voyage with us should be pleasing retired Professors of English!

Chris

I was taught that one should never use 'never ever'.

Mary

Oh dear. I've always always used never ever. Should I never ever say never ever ever again. Its really going to cramp my style if I can't Its a lovely phrase and it's usefulness is to absolutely die for, without wishing to totally split the infinitive.

J

Tsk. :D

It's called irony.

Now, gotta leave you all. I've got a boat to catch to follow in the Good Capn's footsteps.

It's something I'm very much looking forward to, but I doubt very much that I will find the time to write a journal. So I'll see you all when I get back.

J

Don :)

Update No 9

Dinner was relatively uneventful although two of the tablemates were complaining about something, I have given up listening to them and their complaints go straight over my head. In reality there is absolutely nothing wrong with either the service that we receive or the food. There is no pleasing some people. I am not looking at this matter through rose tinted glasses, I assure you that if there were problems I would both address them on board and tell you all about them and their resolution.

I went up to my normal haunt this evening after dinner and sampled some of their wares, the standard of service is improving on a daily basis and it is ok now, with 7 days to go I hope that it is great bu the time we return to Southampton, if not before. It has just turned 1am and I am off to my bed in anticipation of our tour of the island tomorrow.

More later.

Capnpugwash,

You don't know how delighted and relieved I am to see the Sunny Smiley Face beside my name on your last Update from the Queen Victoria. I live to read your reports! But you know that your friends can sometimes be "characters," and I am one of them. I would never ever mean to demean your magnificent writing. But I like to call a spade a spade or a diamond a diamond. And, yes, I am something of a grammarian! With all my respect, I am, Don, Lord Kay of Shandon. P.S. Enjoy your tour of the island tomorrow.

Don :)

Update No 9

Dinner was relatively uneventful although two of the tablemates were complaining about something, I have given up listening to them and their complaints go straight over my head. In reality there is absolutely nothing wrong with either the service that we receive or the food. There is no pleasing some people. I am not looking at this matter through rose tinted glasses, I assure you that if there were problems I would both address them on board and tell you all about them and their resolution.

I went up to my normal haunt this evening after dinner and sampled some of their wares, the standard of service is improving on a daily basis and it is ok now, with 7 days to go I hope that it is great bu the time we return to Southampton, if not before. It has just turned 1am and I am off to my bed in anticipation of our tour of the island tomorrow.

More later.

Cap'n, I have enjoyed reading your updates from the Queen Victoria and hope you are having fun aboard the ship.As for the 2 tablemates who complain about very very minor things, Have you ever considered wearing earplugs at the dinner table so you could enjoy your dinner without hearing them? :D Regards,Jerry

I was taught that one should never use 'never ever'.

Was my English teacher wrong?

Mary

Yikes, aren't all teachers in England English teachers? Oh I'm so confused :eek: Can we agree that 'never more' works?

And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor

Shall be lifted - nevermore! -Edgar Allan Poe:)

Archived