Port of NY - Bus or Train?

cbabe

We always take Transbridge buses from the Allentown area. They take us directly to the pier. Is Transbridge an option for you?

The bus station is not far from the pier. I don't think you'd want to walk with luggage though. I think folks on here say the fare is about 10.00. Don't know about the train station.

not sure if you have MEGABUS in your area or not, but they will only be about a 10 buck cab ride from drop off as well. If the weather is nice though and your luggage is manageable I personally would hoof it. We stayed 1 block EAST of the Marquis last summer and walked over to the pier where the ships are granted we had no luggage, but ours is on wheels and we pack conservatively anyway. If you have time get back off walk down the piers walkway towards Wall St stop at the Lackawana Barge for a nice lunch or beverage. Its just so beautiful in NYC.

We always take Transbridge buses from the Allentown area. They take us directly to the pier. Is Transbridge an option for you?

The bus station is not far from the pier. I don't think you'd want to walk with luggage though. I think folks on here say the fare is about 10.00. Don't know about the train station.

I'm sorry to say that transbridge isn't an option for me. I'm in the philly area. So far it's looking like greyhound is the most economical way to go @ 93 total for 3 people round trip. The amtrak system is down this morning, so I want to see how much they want. I'm on the miracle on 5/22 and paying 30.00 per day for parking is just a bit too much. Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it.

Train stations is not close, its about a 5-6 block walk. A taxi from the port authority bus terminal to the port is not that far and is somewhat cheap at around 10 dollars

Those are long avenue blocks so looking at over a mile.

I'm from Philly & took the bus to NY in Feb. Instead of downtown Philly, I caught the bus in Mount Laurel NJ. It's about 7 miles down Route 73 from the Betsy Ross Bridge. Right before the Turnpike entrance. They have free parking in their lot. Your luggage goes under the bus. No need to lug it. I paid $38 roundtrip. Cab ride to pier was very easy.

Train stations is not close, its about a 5-6 block walk. A taxi from the port authority bus terminal to the port is not that far and is somewhat cheap at around 10 dollars

Those are long avenue blocks so looking at over a mile.

.....Penn Station is @ 34th Street & 8th Avenue. The cruise port is up around 55th Street & 12th Avenue. So that is around 21 blocks north and 4 blocks west to walk. A total of about 25 blocks, took us about 45 minutes w/o luggage.

:eek:

wasiii

I took Amtrak to Penn Station for a CTN a few years ago. When we got in the cab in NY for the trip to the pier the driver suggested we might want to be dropped on the street across from the pier. He said that otherwise he would have to take the ramp which is several blocks uptown and then wait in line to drop us off with the meter running. Since we were traveling light we opted for that suggestion. It did mean we had to pull our bags across the street, but saved us a "chunk of change".

Archived