Tipping the Room Steward

Docswiffy

This is going to be my second cruise. I am a little unsure about the tipping of the room steward. Do you tip them upfront or at the end? Our last cruise we tipped him at the end now I am not sure it was enough. We tipped him $40. We had a mini suite which is what we booked again. The princess had the automatic tip per day per person 20. a day for us which we left on the bill of course but tipped him a additional 40. He was very good..but we are very easy. We did not ask for anything special (never found a need to as he did a good job). Did we tip too little too much...do you do 1/2 before? What is usual?

Thanks!

Norweigan Dawn 5/04

Golden Princess 1/04

Hi!

I learned a very powerful lesson about tipping when I was a waiter in college. A gentleman was hosting an event and I was the waiter. Before taking any orders, he took me aside and shook my hand with a $20 bill and politely asked me to make this a special occasion. This had never happened before, and I went out of my way to serve them. They were happy - and so was I! I have followed this man's example ever since, within most tipping service environments. On the cruises I've been, I always introduce myself and slip a twenty to the room steward, wait staff, and one or two of the bartenders in my favorite bars. Unbelievable what that initial investment ends up giving! I've had bartenders go out of their way to serve me drinks, room attendants bringing coffee every morning (unasked),etc!

I apply this to everything from movers to mechanics to home repairs and installations...a little goes a long way. Good sailing!

TIPS is an acronym (did I spell that correctly?) Anyway, it means

T to

I insure

P prompt

S service

Thus, it seems to reason that you give one up-front. A little "grease in the wheels" couldn't hurt. icon_wink.gif

Trish

If you've left your tips on your shipboard account, $0 is every bit as appropriate at $40 or $20. It just depends on your particular situation and your experience with the staff who provides your services.

I've never tipped cruise staff in advance. It just feels smarmy to me, like I might be suggesting to my steward that I'm going to require a lot of attention, when the truth is that I like as little as possible. An exception would be if you're asking for any sort of special services, in which case, I think it's appropriate to tip as they're provided.

"I'm gonna book myself on that Princess Cruise."

-- Fox Mulder, X-Files 'Three Words'

Archived