Come Cruise with Me-Jewel Review 4/8/11-Southern Caribbean/2,000+ Pics/Super Long

Day 5 - Last minute shopping

Had about a 15 minute drive

5647860900_1cfcd76169_z.jpg

And then to the shopping area

5647862690_668a65f3bb_z.jpg

The wife resting

5647863336_e146094b65_z.jpg

It was mainly jewelry shops

5647863898_6201a5a631_z.jpg

Some local art work

5647883842_17f1950cf6_z.jpg

And now, my favorite picture of the entire cruise

5647880390_4b43411ef3_z.jpg

Up next - the drive back to the ship. . .

Day 5 - Back to the ship

Here is the fort in the distance

5647872710_f51d6027a0_z.jpg

Another of the fort

5647872974_463b2059b4_b.jpg

They have a totally different view of a Margarita compared to me

5647310639_6720f455bd_z.jpg

A colorful gate

5647873516_8fc2fa4773_z.jpg

A street vendor

5647310001_0563674e22_z.jpg

And finally, we are back to the ship

5647875800_81e9cc75e1_z.jpg

I think we paid around $42pp (definitely less than $50) or something close to that for this excursion. I would definitely say it was worth it.

That's it for me tonight - Coming tomorrow - We're back on the ship - the rest of day 5 (And Food!!). . .

That is a GREAT picture! It looks like he is smiling for the camera!

Love the review and all the photos. Wish you were on my upcoming Freedom cruise then I wouldn't need to take very many pics! I could just use yours!

Congrats on the expansion of your family! October is a great month for a birthday! I speak from personal experience! ;)

Yeah, I love how my wife leans over in the tunnel, like she's even close to hitting the ceiling :D

Don't pick on us shorties!!;) Do you see my lean in my profile pic, LOL!! We just lean figuring the camera is going to pick up the biggest thing, and the biggest thing is the guy we are with:D How tall are you BTW? My DH is 6 foot 6 and I always feel like a little person! Oh, and be prepared for your new person...we had one, she started out pretty small 8 pounds 9 ounces, but is 5 8 1/2 already and still goooooooing:eek:

Love the review...never been to Columbia, so it's fun to see the pics!

That is a GREAT picture! It looks like he is smiling for the camera!

Love the review and all the photos. Wish you were on my upcoming Freedom cruise then I wouldn't need to take very many pics! I could just use yours!

Congrats on the expansion of your family! October is a great month for a birthday! I speak from personal experience! ;)

It was funny, he kept falling asleep and the guy would have to tap on his shoulder and he would look up and smile, then nod off again :D

October seems to be popular with a lot of people I talk to :D

Don't pick on us shorties!!;) Do you see my lean in my profile pic, LOL!! We just lean figuring the camera is going to pick up the biggest thing, and the biggest thing is the guy we are with:D How tall are you BTW? My DH is 6 foot 6 and I always feel like a little person! Oh, and be prepared for your new person...we had one, she started out pretty small 8 pounds 9 ounces, but is 5 8 1/2 already and still goooooooing

Love the review...never been to Columbia, so it's fun to see the pics!

I see the it now :D

I'm 6 foot 5 and my wife is 5 foot 2 :eek:

It will be interesting to see how tall the little one ends up being ;)

Thanks too :)

I saw you post that one of your Jewel cruises got cancelled - bummer

It's fun to see the roll of the " genetic dice" in your kids! The Jewel cruise that got cancelled I likely would have cancelled anyway , so it wasn't too devastating. I had booked it first, then booked a 5 day on Jewel the week before because it worked better with the flights I could find. Leaving me with a b2b I really was not going to be able to do( kids have to get back to HS and this is a trip with my mom, and we'd be leaving my dad at home with no time for us to visit. ) My DH teased me, said I should have played like I was crushed, just to get an OBC, but I just don't roll that way! :p

It's fun to see the roll of the " genetic dice" in your kids! The Jewel cruise that got cancelled I likely would have cancelled anyway , so it wasn't too devastating. I had booked it first, then booked a 5 day on Jewel the week before because it worked better with the flights I could find. Leaving me with a b2b I really was not going to be able to do( kids have to get back to HS and this is a trip with my mom, and we'd be leaving my dad at home with no time for us to visit. ) My DH teased me, said I should have played like I was crushed, just to get an OBC, but I just don't roll that way! :p

The next how ever many years I live are definitely going to be interesting. :eek::)

Sounds like it ended up working out for you. A little OBC is always nice:D

Day 5 - Cartagena - At the Fortress

Here we are at the Fort. Sure would have been nice if someone would have reminded me that I had an ear piece on

5647832876_7eb05471e0_z.jpg

Here we are at a rest break

5647277869_e4e8bea8de_z.jpg

This picture just makes me smile for some reason

5647276253_40542a3d79_z.jpg

Remember how that Palm tree made me look shorter at Labadee? We'll this tunnel makes me look really tall! Remember, it's all an illusion, I'm the same height everywhere ;-)

5647835040_396603ba12_z.jpg

Here's the guard at the Fort ~ Scared me, I'm allergic.

5647830140_928ac25f28_z.jpg

And here is our last look at the fort

5647830288_ff68cb8902_z.jpg

That's it for the Fort. I have to stop now because we're almost to the ACLF to visit Grandpa. I'll try and start again around 9pm

Up next time - Shopping - Cathedral - Inquisition Palace & More. . .

OMG this is from the movie Romancing the Stone. My all time favorite movie!!!

You'll have to forgive the spelling. I mostly write late at night when I am tired. On the Colombia, we used to live in South Carolina, and I am used to the way they spell it there., so I didn't know that it was spelt differently.

So awesome, we live fairly close to Columbia, lol.

Enjoying the review so far too!

OMG this is from the movie Romancing the Stone. My all time favorite movie!!!

Too funny, I was thinking the same thing while looking through the pictures of the fort. Probably one of my favorite Michael Douglas movies (and Danny DeVito, Kathleen Turner!).

I am thoroughly enjoying your review, bionicman. Thank you for taking the time to write it and share your photos. We're going on the Jewel in February 2012. :D

So awesome, we live fairly close to Columbia, lol.

Enjoying the review so far too!

Thanks :). I used to live in Summerville, just outside of Charleston

Too funny, I was thinking the same thing while looking through the pictures of the fort. Probably one of my favorite Michael Douglas movies (and Danny DeVito, Kathleen Turner!).

I am thoroughly enjoying your review, bionicman. Thank you for taking the time to write it and share your photos. We're going on the Jewel in February 2012. :D

BTW, seminoleFan wouldn't be FSU, would it? We're in Gator country here :eek::D

BTW, seminoleFan wouldn't be FSU, would it? We're in Gator country here :eek::D

Well, yes it is FSU. We are definitely a house divided--my daughter goes to FSU and I work at UF (can't get much more Gator country than that). How mixed up can you get? :eek:

We love both the Seminoles and the Gators. And when they play each other, we just say, "let the better team win," and figure we can't lose either way. :)

Well, yes it is FSU. We are definitely a house divided--my daughter goes to FSU and I work at UF (can't get much more Gator country than that). How mixed up can you get? :eek:

We love both the Seminoles and the Gators. And when they play each other, we just say, "let the better team win," and figure we can't lose either way. :)

That's ok, I'm just as conflicted in my own head. I grew up as a gator fan (still am), graduated from UCF and am looking to get my MBA from FSU :eek:

Ah, your pictures bring back wonderful memories. We were totally surprised at how clean and modern Cartegena was. The artwork (as you have pictured) was fabulous. I bought one for $40. Framed it looks like a $1000! We were so rushed when we were in those little shops. The driver gave us 30 minutes. And, then took us to a Mall ... I mean a mall like the one we have in the states.

It seems we were there forever and totally bored. We should have gotten a cab and gone back to the market on our own but this was our first time and we thought we should stick with the ship sponsored tour. Yes, we also felt perfectly safe. And, by the way, I always spell Colombia "Columbia," too. Old habits die hard.

Ah, your pictures bring back wonderful memories. We were totally surprised at how clean and modern Cartegena was. The artwork (as you have pictured) was fabulous. I bought one for $40. Framed it looks like a $1000! We were so rushed when we were in those little shops. The driver gave us 30 minutes. And, then took us to a Mall ... I mean a mall like the one we have in the states.

It seems we were there forever and totally bored. We should have gotten a cab and gone back to the market on our own but this was our first time and we thought we should stick with the ship sponsored tour. Yes, we also felt perfectly safe. And, by the way, I always spell Colombia "Columbia," too. Old habits die hard.

We were surprised too on how modern and clean it was. The artwork was great. We had about 15 minutes in the first shops we stopped at and about 20 in the second ones. Time flies on those excursions ;)

Old habits do die hard :)

I got a good belly laugh out of the "guard." I'm allergic, too. Your pictures and comments are just priceless.

Always have to watch out for those cats :eek: My dog told me to never trust them anyway ;)

Day 5 - Cartagena - Back on the ship - Midday

Once we got back on the ship, we were pretty hungry, so we dropped off our stuff and headed for the Windjammer.

As we passed by the pool area, the had a poolside buffet set up

5647323451_0095739b3d_b.jpg

It was kind of warm outside, so we headed inside

5647889118_35f805ceed_b.jpg

I wasn't real hungry, so I got a small plate of food and a little dessert

5647886604_1f0bc0ef4b_b.jpg

I also had a little of everyones favorite dessert

5647326085_37c936a01c_b.jpg

Up next - Sail-a-way. . .

Day 5 - Sail-a-way

After eating, we went up to deck 12 to watch the sail-a-way

5647884020_8c977b33bb_z.jpg

Here's the skyline

5647884100_cc6a42df28_b.jpg

Some of the ship yard

5647320139_fc01f095bb_z.jpg

A Mr Oscar Peaz Jr

5647320513_f0f56de3a9_z.jpg

The landscape beyond

5647328601_bef55ec520_z.jpg

Our neighbor at the port

5647329999_33674c621b_z.jpg

Up next - More Sail-a-way & Time to eat again! . . .

Day 5 - Sail-a-way and More Food!

They had this statue out at the harbor

5647332287_b1da4fe69f_z.jpg

Last bit of the city as we left

5647897422_d9cb747632_z.jpg

After sail-a-way, we went into the windjammer to get a drink before the belly flop competition. I just couldn't pass up one little snack

5647899714_06be298e9d_z.jpg

Well, we head out to watch the belly flop competition and we ended up missing it. Oh, well. We decided to play some cards instead. I came in 4th. Pretty good considering there were four of us there ;-)

5647336447_1c6913236c_z.jpg

At 4:15, I went back to the windjammer and grabbed a little dessert to take up to the Sea View Cafe.

5647901982_812387b465_z.jpg

You see: Desserts from Windjammer + Cuban from Sea View Cafe = Best of both Worlds

5647339297_1f3d17e670_z.jpg

After this, I felt a little guilty, so I changed and went to the gym to hit the elliptical for 40 minutes.

Up next - A Show - Welcome Back Party - Dinner

Day 5 - The Show

At 6:40pm, I went to the online center to deal with a few work emails and then we headed for the show.

The show tonight was called "City of Dreams" - It is the second of three production shows - It was good - a lot of nice backdrops

5647341417_2a3e6b8513_z.jpg

5647342913_fa4227ab7a_z.jpg

5647344413_65f66f8485_z.jpg

5647911046_4a37a0da29_z.jpg

5647348109_b4a6a80701_z.jpg

5647349999_60c1bc6238_z.jpg

Up next - a little more of the show. . .

Day 5 - Welcome Back Party & Dinner

After dinner, we headed for the Welcome Back Party

5647362609_859ab13a69_z.jpg

Here we are hanging out

5647927896_b9af34a19c_z.jpg

We had some fruit punch. They were also serving wine. I didn't see any mixed drinks and no warm appetizers like we have seen on the other ships.

5647364965_c5d31914c8_z.jpg

Up next - Dinner

Archived