The bus is great deal

normalman

These are the directions to the depot that I wrote in the Compiled Info Sticky thread:

I found the public bus to be an exceedingly easy and affordable way to get to and from 7 mile beach but did want to let everyone know the location of the depot has changed.

Once you get off the tender and walk out of the tender complex, you will find yourself on a small road which runs along the shoreline. Cross to the far side of the street and turn left. Walk up the street keeping the shoreline to your left for a few minutes and you will come upon a few picnic tables. The bus depot is the parking lot to the right of these benches, beyond a sliding chain link gate which I assume is used to secure the buses (really vans) at night.

A four story blue building is a landmark you can use to guide you: the bus depot is on the same side of the street as the blue building. The building is just slightly further up the street than the bus depot (so if you reach the building you have gone too far and walked past the depot). The Casanova restaurant sign is another landmark you can use. You will see the Casanova restaurant on the side of the street closest to the shoreline and farther up the street than the blue building.

The local buses will honk at people standing on the sidewalk as they pass. If you wave back, they will stop and pick you up. You are looking for vans with a circle on the front reading "WB" for West Bay. Cost was $2.50 per person each way. They ran very frequently.

It took fifteen minutes from the time I boarded the bus at the depot to the time I was dropped off at my destination (Public Beach / Sea Grape Beach). There was a typical bus stop across the road at the dropoff point for the return trip.

I can't follow the directions in my head (getting too old), but it sounds like these directions may be to the "Dairy Queen" parking lot where the bus depot moved temporarily. It has now moved back near the library off hero's Square as described in the sticky.

I can't follow the directions in my head (getting too old), but it sounds like these directions may be to the "Dairy Queen" parking lot where the bus depot moved temporarily. It has now moved back near the library off hero's Square as described in the sticky.

I'm sorry, I did not know that it had moved.

As you say, it is now back "on Edward Street, adjacent to the Public Library, in George Town."

Maps:

http://mappery.com/map-of/Georgetown-Grand-Cayman-Shopping-map

http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/cy/gtmap.shtml

I was wondering how long it might take to take the bus from the pier area to Hell? We have an excursion planned for 12:30 (we arrive at 10am, then have to tender in to port) and was hoping we could take the bus to Hell beforehand. DD wants to visit Hell *rolls eyes*

Our excusion brings us back to George Town at about 3:30 and our cruise leaves at 6:00pm. Either way, it looks like we might have 1-1/2 hours either before or after our excursion to visit Hell. Do you think that would be enough time? I don't want to take a taxi and spend $$$ for this Hell excursion, just thought we could do it via bus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This is great information as I will be heading there in February.

Now, would you recommend this means for someone traveling solo?

Yes I am curious too. Is it safe to take the bus if you are travelling alone? Can anyone advise if the bus goes anywhere near the Queen Elizabeth II Botanical Gardens? I think it is also where the Blue Iguana are found.

Yes I am curious too. Is it safe to take the bus if you are travelling alone? Can anyone advise if the bus goes anywhere near the Queen Elizabeth II Botanical Gardens? I think it is also where the Blue Iguana are found.

The # 8 or #9 routes will take you to the QE2 Botanical Gardens and the Blue Iguana sanctuary there. The bus system is safe for solo travelers and groups alike. Tell the driver where you would like to go when boarding and pay upon your exit. The bus service out on the East End and North Side is not as frequent as around George Town and Seven Mile Beach, so be sure to allot more than enough time to get back to the tender terminals.

• 1 month later...

The various bus routes basically emanate from George Town and go either in an Easterly or Westerly direction. There is not a single route that you can take to "tour" the island, you would need to change at the bus terminus.

Westerly routes will take you to many of the tourist attractions (Turtle Farm, Dolphin pens, Car Museum, etc..) and of course, Seven Mile Beach. Easterly routes will be a bit more scenic and pass places like the QEII Botanic Gardens, Pedro St. James (not a direct stop) and the various small villages out East.

Here are the route maps:

http://caymanislandsyp.com/Island/Getting-Around/index-2.php

The various bus routes basically emanate from George Town and go either in an Easterly or Westerly direction. There is not a single route that you can take to "tour" the island, you would need to change at the bus terminus.

Westerly routes will take you to many of the tourist attractions (Turtle Farm, Dolphin pens, Car Museum, etc..) and of course, Seven Mile Beach. Easterly routes will be a bit more scenic and pass places like the QEII Botanic Gardens, Pedro St. James (not a direct stop) and the various small villages out East.

Here are the route maps:

http://caymanislandsyp.com/Island/Getting-Around/index-2.php

Thanks, very helpful. My DH is worried about me getting back by taxi as I have heard the return trip via bus is unreliable. Considering a tour from the ship. The maps are great too!

• 1 month later...

We are planning an excursion with the cruise ship and should be done around 1230 and can be dropped off at either the pier or seven mile beach. How long does it take to take one of the buses from either location to the turtle farm? And how long would it take to get from the turtle farm back to the pier? How often do the buses stop by the Turtle farm for pick ups? Our ship leave at 4 so we would like to be back at 3. Just trying to see if we have time for this. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably a stupid question but here goes: If a person just wanted to ride the bus throughout its entire route just to sightsee/enjoy the view, is that allowed? I realize I'd have to take at least 2 diff routes to do all: West Bay to Hell and probably the red or blue line to see the rest.

Does the bus system offer an all-day pass so riders can get off/on at their leisure without paying 2.50USD each time?

Thanks in advance! :)

This is probably a stupid question but here goes: If a person just wanted to ride the bus throughout its entire route just to sightsee/enjoy the view, is that allowed? I realize I'd have to take at least 2 diff routes to do all: West Bay to Hell and probably the red or blue line to see the rest.

Does the bus system offer an all-day pass so riders can get off/on at their leisure without paying 2.50USD each time?

Each bus is an individual private business... not really a coordinated system. There is thus no all day pass.

You would probably be charged for both the outbound and again for the return trip on each bus. Fares vary according to distance traveled with higher fares for the longer ride to/from the eastern districts (Bodden Town, East End, or North Side).

When I'm ready to leave the Botanical Garden, how hard will it be to catch a bus back to port? Also, what time should I head back to get in the tender line from the Garden? My ship is in port from 8am until 3pm.

Is the Botanical Garden the only place on GC to see the Blue Iguanas?

I have visited grand cayman once before and did the sting ray city excursion through the cruise ship and loved it...I'm curious if anyone knows of any reputable independent places that you can go to stingray city through?

I have visited grand cayman once before and did the sting ray city excursion through the cruise ship and loved it...I'm curious if anyone knows of any reputable independent places that you can go to stingray city through?

nativewaywatersports dot com we have used them and we had a wonderful day. I will be using them again. Just scroll through the threads or search the cayman threads for private stingray tours.

Archived