Travelex Insurance - read the fine print

sisbill

I have used Travelex in the past for cruise insurance but never had to file a claim. I will not use Travelex in the future. I know other people who use Travelex and I will be telling them about this experience with Travelex.

On our last cruise my wife fell on her face on a sidewalk in San Juan. The cruise ship MD put in stiches which he said had to come out the week after we returned home. My wife had the stiches removed the week after the cruise. Now, Travelex Nationwide Claims Administration has declined to pay for removal of the stiches because they were not removed during the Covered Trip (March 6-13. 2011).

Apparently, this means that Travelex Insurance would not cover a cruise passenger’s hospitalization after becoming ill during a cruise ... stroke, heart attack, fall overboard, etc. Wonderful insurance coverage !!!

I have used Travelex in the past for cruise insurance but never had to file a claim. I will not use Travelex in the future. I know other people who use Travelex and I will be telling them about this experience with Travelex.

On our last cruise my wife fell on her face on a sidewalk in San Juan. The cruise ship MD put in stiches which he said had to come out the week after we returned home. My wife had the stiches removed the week after the cruise. Now, Travelex Nationwide Claims Administration has declined to pay for removal of the stiches because they were not removed during the Covered Trip (March 6-13. 2011).

Apparently, this means that Travelex Insurance would not cover a cruise passenger’s hospitalization after becoming ill during a cruise ... stroke, heart attack, fall overboard, etc. Wonderful insurance coverage !!!

That's interesting; most facial sutures are supposed to come out no later than one week after their placement to minimize scarring.

I don't know the wording of your specific policy, but maybe it was only for your trip duration. The latest policy I have from Travelguard states if I suffer an injury or sickness, the Company will reimburse me for medically necessary covered expenses within one year of the date of accident or illness, if the initial treatment for this accident or illness was received during the trip, while covered under the policy.

Your regular insurance should have covered the cost of the suture removal (up to whatever your plan benefit is).

Actually, no. Here's from the plan wording:

If You are hospitalized due to an Accidental Injury or Sickness which first occurred during the course of the scheduled Covered Trip beyond the date of the Scheduled Return Date, coverage will be extended until You are released from the Hospital or until maximum benefits under the Policy have been paid."

But that's an exception to their general rule:

"Emergency Treatment means necessary medical treatment, including services and supplies, which must be performed during the Covered Trip due to the serious and acute nature of the Accidental Injury or Sickness. "

To contrast, here's from TravelSafe"

"Benefits will be paid for the Covered Expense incurred, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount, if You incur a Covered Expense as a result of a Sickness that first manifests itself during the Trip or Injury that occurs during the Trip. Only Covered Expenses incurred within the 52 weeks following the date of the Sickness or Injury will be reimbursed. Expenses incurred after the 52 weeks following the date of the Sickness or Injury are not covered."

So TravelSafe will cover follow-up care (removing stitches, having a cast taken off, etc) for a full year after the date of injury. But they are a secondary insurer so you'd only be submitting bills to them after first submitting them to your regular health insurer (if any).

One thing about primary insurers -- once you're home they want you off of their coverage ASAP to let someone else pay for your follow-up care expenses. In the case of Nationwide/Travelex they do this by cutting you off (with the hospital exception noted above) the minute your trip ends.

Anyway, by the terms of the policy the decision to deny the claim was correct.

This is just a reminder that each person needs to read the policy before they sign up for the insurance to be sure that the plan meets their needs and so they know what is and what is not covered.

We happen to prefer Travelex but the subject of the post says it all. The devil is in the details. Read the plan.

Keith

This is pretty standard, if not universal, exclusion for trip insurance. They pretty much assume you have arrangements for medical care at home and once you have arrived home, you aren't on your trip any more. Just like if you suffer a heart attack on the road, they aren't paying for your rehab once you get home, they aren't covering having the stitches pulled either.

Archived