Driving from Naples to Positano and back

fussylady

I'm thinking of hiring a private driver to take us from the port in Naples to visit Positano. We've been to this area before, but haven't seen Positano. However, I am concerned about how much traffic we will encounter.

Can anyone tell me what kind of traffic to expect driving from Naples port to Positano on a Friday morning in June.....returning to Naples on a Friday afternoon.

I'm expecting the roads to be very crowded. How long would a drive like this take?

I don't want to spend my day in port stuck in traffic for hours. In that case, I'd prefer to make other plans that don't involve driving along the Amalfi coast.

Thanks.

Your best information would come from contacting the driver services and asking them. They drive those roads every day and have real time information.

Any responses you get from us here will be impressions from one or two specific dates in the past (or 20 dates, from Hank :D) and that information won't really help you, unless you just want to be appeased.

The limo services aren't going to lie to you just to get your business. For one thing, they have more business than they can say grace over. For another, they don't want to deal with an angry customer who had unrealistic expectations, so they do their best to prepare you for the conditions you are likely to find.

I spent a week in Positano a few years ago. If Positano is the only place you want to go to on the Amalfi coast, then I would suggest you take the ferry that leaves directly from the Naples port to Positano. Here is a copy of the schedule.

http://www.metrodelmare.net/orari-tratte-e-tariffe/

Click Napoli Beverllo in the 1st column- top left, there's a ferry that leaves at 8:25 and arrives 10:10

For the return, go back to same column and click Positano. There's a ferry that leaves at 2:15 and arrives in Naples at 3:40.

The prices are $14E each way. There will probably be a schedule change as summer approaches with more ferries added. The ferry was on time and was a very nice ride along the coast.

We have done a lot of driving in this region (on several extended vacations) and actually love to drive in Italy (some would say we are a masochist). It is about 40 miles from Naples to Positano and the first third of that trip will be on a fast Autostrade (unless it is still having construction projects). The problem is that the last 2/3 of the drive (around Sorrento and along the Amalfi drive) is all 2 lane. Under normal circumstances we have actually moved well on the Amalfi Drive until we get very close to Positano where it can a little congested and there can also be some "bus standoffs" when two buses cannot pass each other on a curve. When that happens things come to a halt why they work it out (the bus drivers are amazing). So, start out by thinking it will take 1 1/2 hours each way and add some extra time for the unexpected. It really does not matter when you are traveling from Naples to Positano, but the return trip is where you want to be a bit conservative. We would want to allow at least 2 hours for the return drive and also figure to get back an hour early. You could leave even earlier and stop at Pompeii or Herculanium on the return drive.

Hank

Two thoughts Hank. First, I'm just about convinced that there is never a time when that particular section of the A3 autostrada isn't under construction.

Second, one alternative I've used when driving in the area is to approach the coast from the SS3 & SP2, arriving on the coast at Maiori. The drive over the mountain is a little harrowing, but it avoids the entire mess around Sorrento. From Maiori, we went west to Positano, then turned around and backtracked, continuing on past Maiori to Vietri sul Mare and picking up the autostade there to go back to Naples. It probably didn't save any time, but at least we were moving the entire time, and the view over the pass is spectacular (except when you run into a wall of clouds, as we did once). This is probably not a route to suggest to a first time driver in Italy, but a professional would be fine with it. It means giving up Sorrento, but that's not a big loss in my book ...

i think you're on the right track with the private driver. we hired a van and guide. our itinerary was positano, sorrento and amalfi, lunch in ravello then off to pompeii. all this was done in one day.

look at it this way, even if you're stuck in traffic you'll have stunning views.

I hope you don't mind me adding my question but the answer just might help others too ;) If I were to take the ferry from Naples to Postiano - how would I get around in Positano? Can you walk from the pier? Is the town located right at the ferry dock or would you have to get transportation from the Positano ferry dock to see the sites? :rolleyes:

I hope you don't mind me adding my question but the answer just might help others too ;) If I were to take the ferry from Naples to Postiano - how would I get around in Positano? Can you walk from the pier? Is the town located right at the ferry dock or would you have to get transportation from the Positano ferry dock to see the sites? :rolleyes:

From the dock simply start climbing ... I'm being somewhat facetious, but not entirely.

There used to be a small local van/bus service but that was several years ago and I don't see any mention of it on the town's web site.

What I did find on the town web site was this beautiful brochure with great pictures of Positano: http://www.comune.positano.sa.it/risorse/Positano%20brochure%2024x16.pdf

Hey, Guys....Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions on my question about driving to Positano.

After doing some more research, I've decided that I'll save Positano for another visit when we can spend more time on the Amalfi Coast......when we can do it leisurely.....when we don't have to watch the clock.

As always....thanks again for sharing the wisdom of your experience and knowledge.

Archived