Video Camera File Storage ?

sbnuggie

Howdy,

A little off topic here, but we just bought a video camera a few months ago that saves files onto flash memory (both internal and memory cards). Not wanting to drag my laptop onto the cruise ship, how do other people save files from video, do you just bring a bunch of memory cards (can get expensive to buy extras)? I cant recall if the internet library computers will allow you to transfer files from a camera to external hard drive via the USB ports etc...

I used to have a video tape based camera so storage was never a problem. Thoughts?

Without a laptop to transfer the files to you'll have to bring extra cards. The machines in the internet cafe are only terminal with no external functioning ports of any kind... they don't even have hard drives...

:)

Howdy,

A little off topic here, but we just bought a video camera a few months ago that saves files onto flash memory (both internal and memory cards). Not wanting to drag my laptop onto the cruise ship, how do other people save files from video, do you just bring a bunch of memory cards (can get expensive to buy extras)? I cant recall if the internet library computers will allow you to transfer files from a camera to external hard drive via the USB ports etc...

I used to have a video tape based camera so storage was never a problem. Thoughts?

Here is a description of a device that may help you...

Portable Storage Devices

These small contraptions can go with you wherever you go, unlike something that is permanently tethered to your computer. They are all light and battery operated so that you don't have to be near electricity to use them.

Look ma, no wires! All of the devices allow you to transfer photos off of a memory card without a computer. The devices have slots for different types of memory cards. Just insert your memory card, and transfer images straight to your portable storage device.

You pretty much have two choices when going on a long vacation with your digital camera: purchase additional memory cards so that you don't run out, or get a portable storage device. Since these storage devices have a much larger capacity than most memory cards, you can transfer your photos every evening, clear the card and be ready to shoot some more photos in the morning. No extra memory cards required.

Search on Amazon or photo store for photobank, Photo Safe, PicPac.

Hope that helps some.

Are you sure you'll be taking that much video? I'm guessing a new video camera has a decent amount of memory built in?

I had this Canon HD camera last cruise, 32Gb built-in and I got a 16Gb SD card. Took 2 hours video total and never used the extra card.

Bringing extra cards is way cheaper than a laptop or a storage gizmo.

However: It is best practice to always have your files in 2 places. I brought my Dell Mini 10 for that.

Thanks all for the input, I have just a cheapo Sony DCR SX63, it has 16gb internal memory, good enough for about 3 hours of video, then a 8gb good for 2 hrs. We do take a lot of video, i usually burn through about 6 hours of video tape with the old camera. I think I'm just gonna buy a couple of 8gb cards which should get me through this cruise then readdress the portable storage idea, didn't even think of that one. Thanks again everyone.

i wish the Fun Hubs had a little machine where you could slip in your SD card, plug in your USB flash drive and transfer your files from one to the other. Man would that ever come in handy and i bet a lot of people would use them too.

You might want to check out the max size card your current camera can handle. Just because you are currently use a certain size card doesn't mean the camera can't handle more.

I have moved between still digital SLR cameras. For my initial camera I went the buy "small cards" route, only to ignore them once I moved up in cameras. If I had bought the "max" size cards that the first camera could have utilized, I would still be using the cards.

Archived