St Kitts -Train ride-Is it worth it

vacationers

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone done the train ride in St Kitts. Is it worth it

Having stayed in St. Kitts for 2 weeks a couple of years ago, I woud suggest either a ship's island tour or a private island tour. We did all the usual things while we were there....Brimstone Hill, etc. and we will be going in Jan. and plan to do the Train ride as that was one thing we didn't do. My DH thinks it will be neat and just to get off the ship.

St. Kitts is a really nice island and is not really built up yet so enjoy it while it is this way...not too many islands anymore that are like this.

JMO, but if they're not careful...St. Kitts is going to turn into another Jamaica. You will learn a lot about their changing economy on the train ride. Since their independent nation status is relatively recent and the sugar cane industry collapsed even more recently...tourism is a new thing for St. Kitts. They have brought in Hmong & Vietnamese farmers and formed an Agricultural institute so the former sugar cane employees can earn another income.

I noticed it even more this time, than our last visit three years ago. There seems to be an underlying but subtle resentment towards visitors.

The train ride is interesting, if only from a historical perspective.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pat, I thought I had posted about it on here. It was okay, $99 was a bit much for the ride. The first train ride is out and buses back. The second one buses out and the train ride is back. We went on the second one. The bus ride is about 30 minutes, and we had to wait another 15 or 20 minutes or so for the train, standing in a field with no shade, and bugs.

Once onboard, we enjoyed the ride and the breeze, it is very relaxing ride. The seats are well padded, bench type and comfortable. The scenery is okay, primarily sugar cane fields. There are old sugar cane windmills. The new farms, lots of goats. The conductor pointed out a "sheep farm" ...it was all goats. :D We didn't see any wildlife...no monkeys. A few chickens and a mule and a horse. When you get towards the end of the ride, you pass by a rock quarry, and they push giant boulders off the side when the train goes by. (sort of like that Disney ride :D)

The narrative was interesting, with their recent independence and the collapse of the sugar cane industry. The rum punch was okay, and it flows freely. We sat upstairs. I didn't try to get up and walk downstairs because the train sways a lot. Someone else mentioned a free DVD...that is no longer provided.

I think the price is high for what it is. The other narrow gauge railroad...White Pass in Skagway is a better value and more scenic. But we can add St. Kitts to our collection of narrow guage railways. We wouldn't do it again, but I'm glad we went. :)

On the other hand, the helicopter excursion from Antigua over the volcano destroyed island of Montseratt....was awseome! :D:):D

We have decied to go on the train as it is our first vist to St Kitts. I have selected the 12:30 train...but now wondering waht to do first thing?

We are with Celebrity in November 2011.

Any ideas? I live in UK it is our 1st cruise and never been to Virgin Islands - so no ideas what to expect.

ANDREW

We have decied to go on the train as it is our first vist to St Kitts. I have selected the 12:30 train...but now wondering waht to do first thing?

We are with Celebrity in November 2011.

Any ideas? I live in UK it is our 1st cruise and never been to Virgin Islands - so no ideas what to expect.

ANDREW

Andrew,

If possible get the earliest train when it not as hot at middag. When we went on the early train, the nest passegers were standing waiting for our train in the heat.

• 4 months later...

We were with Celebrity on the Solostice and visited St. Kitts in 2009. I did the train and catamaran excursion with a CC friend. My honest opinion...loved the people, the entertainment and the scenery. Did not like the train. I was not convinced of safety and it cost way too much and lasts way too long! The catamaran back to port was a lot of fun, but the train...wish I had those hours back. My dh and his dm did a tour of the island and enjoyed it very much!

Archived