Not the typical Rome tour question

Kelmn07

Hello,

Since my cruise is finishing in Rome, we don't need transport back. To save some money I think the best way to get to town is via the public transport. But once we get to Rome my group would like a tour-I'd prefer to do it on our own. We won't be able to check in to our hotel until late in the day-so the only reason the tour seems sensible is so that we have a safe place for our luggage while we tour the city.

So, my question is what is a good tour company that is just in Rome-with no transport from the port. The ones I have found all include transport from the port (and most included return trip to port). So, ideally I'd like it to pick us up where the train stops and then drops us off at our hotel. Anyone know of anything?

Also, are there tours that have drivers that are the guides too? And is it better to have them purchase all the tickets we'd need, or should we purchase tickets (to Vatican, etc)?

Well, first -- and this may change your direction on what you plan to do in Rome -- at almost any hotel you can leave your luggage safely even if you aren't able to check in. Granted, I wouldn't leave things that are EXTREMELY valuable (passport, money).

Second, once you get to Rome you really don't need transportation around, unless people in your group have limited mobility. Rome is a city best seen by walking.

If these two facts change your mind at all, I can recommend a couple of companies that provide good walking tours of ancient Rome and also Vatican tours. How long do you have in Rome? It might be best to break up your touring (ancient Rome one day, Vatican another day) to allow you some time to just enjoy being in Rome without nonstop touring.

Hello,

Since my cruise is finishing in Rome, we don't need transport back. To save some money I think the best way to get to town is via the public transport. But once we get to Rome my group would like a tour-I'd prefer to do it on our own. We won't be able to check in to our hotel until late in the day-so the only reason the tour seems sensible is so that we have a safe place for our luggage while we tour the city.

So, my question is what is a good tour company that is just in Rome-with no transport from the port. The ones I have found all include transport from the port (and most included return trip to port). So, ideally I'd like it to pick us up where the train stops and then drops us off at our hotel. Anyone know of anything?

Also, are there tours that have drivers that are the guides too? And is it better to have them purchase all the tickets we'd need, or should we purchase tickets (to Vatican, etc)?

Why do you think you cannot check-in to your hotel early in day? It is very common in Europe for folks to check-in during the morning (people that arrive from the US on overnight flights all face this issue) and hotels have no problem handling the transaction. If your room is not ready then you simply leave your luggage with the hotel's Bellman and they will put your stuff in a secure locked room until you can get your room. And sure, you can easily hire a car/driver/guide if you are content to spend several hundred Euros. Or, you can simply get a decent guide book (many here love Rick Steves) and just head out on your own using public transit and your feet.

Hank

Sorry, I chose poor wording. We are staying in an apartment, and the location to checkin is not the same as the location of the apartment. The listing said check in is at 3 but I can certainly call a little sooner to verify. I would much rather travel the city on my own but the majority of the group wants a guide at the colosseum and vatican so we know the history and story etc.

So, if I call and am told we can't get in early, we will need to have a place to keep our stuff safe. I intend on packing all my stuff in a hiking backpack. It will be tough but, I think most others will have suitcases.

.... But once we get to Rome my group would like a tour-I'd prefer to do it on our own. We won't be able to check in to our hotel until late in the day-so the only reason the tour seems sensible is so that we have a safe place for our luggage while we tour the city...

FYI: Most hotels in Rome will store your luggage for you until you check in. However, how secure it is depends on the hotel. Some have locked storage rooms/closets and others just have it sitting out.

Back to what you asked... We use RomeCabs for all our transfers and tours in Rome. They offer tours for people staying in Rome, so it would probably work for you. However, you would need to tell them how much luggage you have so they bring the right sized vehicle.

How long do you have in Rome? It might be best to break up your touring (ancient Rome one day, Vatican another day) to allow you some time to just enjoy being in Rome without nonstop touring.

I have from the time the ship lands...I think I can disembark at 10-so just about a full day, and I haven't picked the return flight yet, but I am looking at one that leaves at 1:15 the next day-which gives some time, but not really.

If you want a driving tour in Rome, you're going to end up paying not much less than getting transportation from Civitavecchia. If the cost is not an issue, seems this would be the easiest thing to do.

If it were me, I'd definitely call the apartment and find out if you can at least leave your luggage somewhere if not check in earlier. Also, I'd try to get off the ship earlier (most ships arrive Rome pretty early in the a.m.) and I'd stay in Rome at least one more night. In fact, I'm a little surprised you could even find an apartment rental for one night :confused:

Through Eternity offers great basic Rome tours (recommended by Rick Steves -- and many others). Much less $$$ than a private car/driver. (Also keep in mind if you actually want a guide at the Colosseum or Vatican, this is an additional charge on top of the car/driver.)

Hope this helps clarify things a bit for you.

Archived