Which is the better Southern Caribbean itinerary?

Going onboard the Vision in a couple of weeks and may decide to do an onboard booking for December 2012 in the Southern Caribbean. Here are my favored choices:

Brilliance of the Seas:

01-Dec San Juan, Puerto Rico 8:30 PM

02-Dec Tortola, British Virgin Islands 8:00 AM 5:30 PM Docked

03-Dec Philipsburg, St. Maarten 8:00 AM 5:30 PM Docked

04-Dec Basseterre, St. Kitts 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

05-Dec Pointe A Pitre, Guadaloupe 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

06-Dec Bridgetown, Barbados 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

07-Dec Cruising

08-Dec San Juan, Puerto Rico 6:00 AM

Celebrity Summit:

D1 San Juan, Puerto Rico Depart 8:30 PM

D2 St. Croix, U.S.V.I. Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 5:30 PM

D3 Basseterre, St. Kitts Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

D4 Roseau, Dominica Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

D5 St. George's, Grenada Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

D6 At Sea

D7 Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

D8 San Juan, Puerto Rico Arrive 6:00 AM

Both are about the same price for an inside room ($449-$499). Which itinerary looks better and why? Please help! :)

I would do the Brilliance, I also noted you have 3 ports offering you 9 1/2 hrs, Celebrity only gives you 1. I haven't done a Southern Caribbean myself but like the Ports better with the Brilliance. What I would do is a search on the Ports and look over what is interesting to do and get a feel that way.

I like it when the last day is a sea day - more relaxing. The times seem to be relatively the same in ports. You seem to actually be able to enjoy the ports. Research the specific ports, see if there is anything of interest to you. I prefer private islands with no shopping, or a good scuba destination. The choice might have to be based on ships, prices, and incentives they will offer you to book on each. Regardless, you win.

RCCI Brilliance VS Celebrity Summit:

Tortola VS St. Croix

St. Maarten VS St. Thomas

Guadaloupe VS Dominica

Barbados VS Grenada

Out of the ports on the first one... I've been to St. Kitts, St. Marteen and Barbados. St. Kitts is full of history and beautiful lands, I would like to go back there someday. Barbados, well I'm in love with that one so much I'm considering just taking a straight up vacation down there now. :) By the time we got to St. Marteen we were exhausted by a port intensive cruise... not sure how I really felt about it since it was the last stop on the cruise. I agree a day at sea at the end would be very welcom.

Out of the ports on the second one... I've been to Dominica and St. Thomas. Dominica I fell in love with a long time ago, it's gorgeous and the people are so friendly. St. Thomas as very Americanized... while it didn't appeal to me all that much there were some gorgeous beaches there (like Sapphire Beach) and could be a good last stop to rest and recharge at.

Either way, both cruses look great to me in terms of ports. I'd look at the boats and figure out which one best suits me for that reason.

Hey Shooraq- what, you can't wait till we are all aboard Dec 3 to book that!?;)

Both sound like great cruises! But I'd go with the Brilliance itinerary because I really love Barbados and prefer St Martin to St Thomas. Also I have never been to the BVI and I think that would be fun! I don't think you can loose with either one though:)

I would pick the Summit due to Dominica and Grenada. These are two of my favorite ports, especially Dominica. If you are a nature-lover, this place is for you! You really can't go wrong with either one.

I'd go with Brilliance. We have done several Southern Caribbean cruises all on the Adventure of the Seas and just booked another one for next year.

For your first time down South...Barbados and St. Maarten are must sees! The Radiance class of ships are also supposed to be very nice and posh and are still on our list if we can ever find a date which meets our schedule. The AOS just seems to always have the sail date we need/want.

Good luck...

PS if you go to Barbados get a cab at the pier and head to Malibu Beach. Its a great little beach club and make sure you get the "flying fish" at the grill there. It is actual flying fish from the sea and they filet it and lightly fry it.

St. Maarten...I'd recommend the long ride to the French side of the island to go to Sunset Beach bar. Just google and/or youtube "sunset beach bar st. maarten" and you'll see what I mean!

I like both itineraries but because we have never been to the British Virgin Islands and I like the fact that the Brilliance's last day is a day at sea, I, personally would opt for that cruise. However, we really enjoyed Dominica last year and would not be unhappy to visit it again. I don't think you will be disappointed whichever ship and itinerary you settle on. We have sailed on Brilliance and one of the Summit's sister ships and both were quite nice, though we again find Radiance class ships to be our favorites. Again I don't think you can go wrong. Perhaps you should just flip a coin.:)

I loved Grenada for the spice plantations and getting to see what all the plants looks like. Unlike may of the virgin islands, it is very tropical and lush, great for a muddy waterfall hiking adventure. The Brilliance has the best sea day option though, for sure.

Have you checked Carnival Victory Pricing? Similar itenerary. Went last year. Ship was only so so, but the ports were great.

Good point!!

We did the S. Caribbean on Victory last year and it was the best! We went out of San Juan, did St. Thomas (loved), Dominica (hated-would never go back), Barbados (loved), St. Lucia (loved), St Kitts (loved), & St. Martin (absolute favorite!!)

We went in Oct, had a balcony and it was only $1200 for both of us. How else can you see 7 islands for that price??

Hey Shooraq- what, you can't wait till we are all aboard Dec 3 to book that!?;)

Both sound like great cruises! But I'd go with the Brilliance itinerary because I really love Barbados and prefer St Martin to St Thomas. Also I have never been to the BVI and I think that would be fun! I don't think you can loose with either one though:)

If I wait until December to book it on the Oasis, prices will probably double! You never know... ;)

I know... it's a hard decision and the prices are about the same. I haven't been to Tortola, Guadalope, and St. Kitts for the Brilliance; haven't done St. Kitts, Dominica, or Granada for the Summitt. So those are the destination ports I'm trying to choose between: Tortola/Guadaloupe vs. Dominica/Grenada.

St. Maarten...I'd recommend the long ride to the French side of the island to go to Sunset Beach bar. Just google and/or youtube "sunset beach bar st. maarten" and you'll see what I mean!

Taking a cab to the French side has its value but if you only want to go to the Sunset Beach bar, realize that it is on the Dutch side not the French and seeing the French side should be a separate consideration and not required in order to get to Sunset Beach bar where the airplanes in and out of the International Airport pass close overhead.:)

"The better question I should ask is which is the better pair of islands to see:

Tortola/Guadaloupe vs. Dominica/Grenada." - That is very much a matter of personal opinion. We have been to and loved both Dominica (despite those on our ship who told us not to bother getting off the ship) and Grenada, and have not yet been to Tortola and only once did we visit Guadaloupe. Again, I think it is a tossup.:)

Archived