Help getting from DCA to Baltimore cruise port

We fly into DCA on Wednesday (Washington, DC), and need to be at the Baltimore cruise port on Thursday. Obviously a hotel is needed, perferably close to the port (with a free shuttle from hotel to port).

What is the easiest, most cost effective way to do this with 2 adults, 3 kids? The train seems confusing but perhaps do-able?

If you indeed take the train from Washington's Union Station to Baltimore, consider taking the MARC trains. MARC is the Maryland Rail Corporation and it operates commuter trains between the two cities on two separate lines:

Penn Line [which uses the old Pennsylvania Railroad/Amtrak rails] and ends at Pennsylvania Station in Baltimore; and the Camden Line [which uses old B&O Railroad rails] and ends at Camden Yards downtown.

It is a much shorter and less expensive cab ride from Camden Yards to the CruiseMaryland pier than from Penn Station.

*IF* you can handle all of your luggage, the train is a convenient way to get between DC and Baltimore. There is a free shuttle at the airport to the Metro(subway) stop.

From there, take a yellow line train inbound to the Gallery Place station. Once there, go up one level and take a Red line train towards Glenmont. Two stops later you ill be at Union Station; the Marc and Amtrak station.

Most of the hotels that have free shuttles to the cruise port are actually located near BWI airport. There is a train station adjacent to BWI (called BWI airport rail station) I would call some of those hotels(e.g.; hampton Inn) to see if any of them will pick you up directly from the train station; if not it's not a BIG deal; there is a free shuttle bus from the train station to the airport.

Aloha,

John

John

*IF* you can handle all of your luggage, the train is a convenient way to get between DC and Baltimore. There is a free shuttle at the airport to the Metro(subway) stop.

From there, take a yellow line train inbound to the Gallery Place station. Once there, go up one level and take a Red line train towards Glenmont. Two stops later you ill be at Union Station; the Marc and Amtrak station.

Most of the hotels that have free shuttles to the cruise port are actually located near BWI airport. There is a train station adjacent to BWI (called BWI airport rail station) I would call some of those hotels(e.g.; hampton Inn) to see if any of them will pick you up directly from the train station; if not it's not a BIG deal; there is a free shuttle bus from the train station to the airport.

Aloha,

John

John

jcl offers a good idea here. If you can handle taking the Metro to Union Station you could take a Amtrak/MARC trian to BWI Rail Station and stay at a BWI Hotel District location, there are many hotels from all the major hotel chains from economy (Red Roof Inn) to luxury (Hilton or Marriott) and everything in between. Most of the BWI hotels offer a free shuttle to the cruise port and cabs are abundant. Just check the different hotel websites or an online travel site to compare hotels. Other wise the other option is to stay near the Inner Harbor for a night and take a cab to the port. Inner Harbor hotels are expensive though. One other option would be to stay near Reagan National airport and use the Super Shuttle van service to get to the port. good luck! :D

Easiest and most cost-effective don't necessarily go together, but in the case of DCA to Baltimore, a fair distance (too bad you can't fly into BWI), I think the choices are two: rent a car at DCA and drive (drop the car off at BWI or downtown Baltimore, depending on where you stay).

From most terminals at DCA you just need to cross a walkway to the Metro station. You may want to use a shuttle if you land at Terminal A, though you could walk. From Terminals B or C, the signs to the Metro station are clear and the walk is short.

I lived near DC for 9 years and regularly used Metro Rail (subway), including with luggage (though never lots of bags). As noted, Metro is easy to use to get to Union Station, though there's no extra room for baggage, and you do need to change trains to get to Union Station, which is on the Red Line (change at Gallery Place if you take a Yellow Line train from DCA, or change at Metro Center if you take a Blue Line train). In late afternoon/early evening, the trains can be packed and stations hectic. There are elevators in most Metro stations, though they don't always work. With kids, and bags, I might be tempted to take a taxi to Union Station and train from there. MARC trains cost less than do Amtrak trains, but may be more crowded, especially at rush hour, and make more stops. MARC schedules and fares are at http://mta.maryland.gov/services/marc/; Amtrak at http://www.amtrak.com.

I do agree about staying in Baltimore or at BWI and not in Washington. I wouldn't worry too much about finding a free shuttle and would concentrate on price and amenities. We've used Hotwire and Priceline to get hotels near BWI and have done well. We've stayed in downtown Baltimore just once, at the Sheraon City Center.

Because of the number of people and bags involved, I'd vote for driving IF you are not dealing with rush hours, especially in the Washington area (and if you stay at BWI, you won't face much of Baltimore's rush hours). But I've taken the train several times and like it, especially during peak traffic hours.

p.s. What time do you arrive on Wednesday? If you are landing in late afternoon/early evening (i.e., rush hour) AND your cruise departs Balitmore in late afternoon Thursday, staying around DCA might be a good idea, since you could depart Thursday a.m. after the peak traffic times, whehter you're going by train or car. While I think I've found more bargains at hotels around BWI than around DCA, it could conceivably work out best for you. And you could have dinner in Washington (though there are lots of restaurants in Arlington and Alexandria).

Please be aware that MARC and Metro are primarily commuter transportation, and MARC has commuter-type schedules. You'll need to make sure the transporation schedules match yours. You'll likely be sharing space with people trying to get to/from work who might not have a lot of patience, and it can get crowded during the rush hours. MARC trains are two story trains, and you might find yourself lugging suitcases up steps. I wouldn't hesitate to do it if I was travelling alone, but I wouldn't want to wrangle an entire family.

Absolute cheapest is to take Metro to the Greenbelt Station, and take the No. B30 Metrobus to BWI airport, where you can get a hotel shuttle to pick you up or take a taxi. It's a short well-marked walk from the bus stops to the shuttle/taxi stops.

With that many children and that much baggage, I'd at least consider/price out a van service from DCA to your hotel in Baltimore (and I do think you should stay in Baltimore). TheAirportShuttle dot com sometimes offers specials. Next to no aggravation involved.

I would add my vote to staying in the Baltimore area, if for no other reason than so you can relax and take your time getting ready on the morning of your cruise, rather than worry about making the trek up from Washington. Don't be intimidated by descriptions of the process; it's really pretty easy, and you can always ask the station attendant or other passengers for help if you get confused. Tourists are hardly a novelty here, so we're used to answering questions and giving directions. :)

If you use the MARC train, note that it is the Penn Line that serves the BWI Airport. Also note that these trains are very crowded during rush hour periods (departing Union Station in Washington roughly between 3:30 p.m. through 6:00 p.m.) Same is true of the Metro system. If you can travel outside of these times, you'll find it to be a much nicer option.

I would argue against using Amtrak. This is nothing at all against Amtrak, as it's actually a very pleasant means of transportation in the Northeast. But it's much more expensive than MARC, and not appreciably faster for the relatively short distance between Washington and Baltimore. Also, reservations are required, meaning you're tied down to a specific train, which could be an issue if you're trying to catch the train on the same day as your arrival at DCA. MARC trains are strictly first-come, first-served.

Another poster mentioned the B30 Metrobus. While it is true that this is the absolute cheapest way to do it, and it's not at all difficult to do, you should note that there are NO bathroom facilities on either the Metro or the bus. So if your kids are young, this could be an issue. MARC trains do have bathrooms on-board.

Good luck, and have a great cruise!

I live in Maryland just to the north of DC. With children and bags, I would rent a car. If you come this way again for a cruise, I would fly into Baltimore instead of DC. Where are you coming from? It is about a 45 minute drive to Baltimore depending on traffic. It is cheaper to stay in Baltimore. Stay at a hotel near the airport because they have shuttles to the port which is close. If you have any questions, please let me know.

much nicer option.

I would argue against using Amtrak. This is nothing at all against Amtrak, as it's actually a very pleasant means of transportation in the Northeast. But it's much more expensive than MARC, and not appreciably faster for the relatively short distance between Washington and Baltimore. Also, reservations are required, meaning you're tied down to a specific train, which could be an issue if you're trying to catch the train on the same day as your arrival at DCA. MARC trains are strictly first-come, first-served.

!

I was suggesting considering Amtrak only if going during rush hour, since the trains will in general be less crowded than those of MARC, and there is a little bit more room for luggage. You do not need to reserve most trains in advance. You can buy tickets at Union Station.

But I sill think driving is the best option, given the size of the group, and the necessity to get from DCA with bags and, if taking train, needing to take two different Metro trains from DCA to Union Station (and, if staying at a BWI hotel, needing to take a shuttle bus from the BWI train station to the airport terminal, and then a hotel shuttle bus to the hotel).

We fly into DCA on Wednesday (Washington, DC), and need to be at the Baltimore cruise port on Thursday. Obviously a hotel is needed, perferably close to the port (with a free shuttle from hotel to port).

What is the easiest, most cost effective way to do this with 2 adults, 3 kids? The train seems confusing but perhaps do-able?

Get a shuttle from DCA to BWI area hotel that offers free shuttle service to the port would be my suggestion

I live in Bowie half way between Washington, DC and Baltimore. I have two suggestions to look into.

1. Does the cruiseline offer a transfer from DCA to the port? This might be an option to take a hotel near DCA and spend Thurs. and Friday morning touring spots in DC (easy on the metro with no bags) and return to hotel to go by shuttle to catch transfer bus to port.

2. Go directly by "shuttle Blue Van or others" to Baltimore inner harbor hotel with free transport to port. The inner harbor district has wonderful things to do with kids including the Md. Science Museum (hands on and very good), a great "Discovery Zone" hands on museum, hard rock cafe, harbor boat tours, ship museum, baseball stadium, Babe Ruth birthplace etc. You would have more than enough to pleasantly spend 24 hours.

the drive to the port is not difficult and the directions are on the port of Maryland home page. Baltimore or Washington either place is just great.

If you want a third option go to Annapolis with the naval academy, great little water boat tours, historical walking tours/night ghost tours, and the Maryland capital. Good seafood as has Baltimore.

• 2 months later...

Too late to be of help for the original poster but I wanted to post in case somebody else searches.

Always check the various prices. DCA to Greenbelt via metro rail and then the bus is almost $11 a person one way depending on time of day. I'm looking into taking a Greyhound bus from Union Station for $16 round trip (not counting price to Union Station) and that would be a more enjoyable trip than the previous option and roughly the same price. It also gets you closer to the port, has bathrooms, wifi, outlets, and better luggage storage options. And I'm guaranteed to have a seat, unlike on the metro bus.

MARC is $7 one way from Union Station.

Amtrak is $22 round trip and a guaranteed place to sit and better luggage options.

These are all relatively close in price but can fluctuate in price depending on when you need them. I'd go with what was easiest for your family. We will probably do the Greyhound and possibly Amtrak. It depends on what we decide to do when we go and which station is closer.

Hope they didn't get stuck on the inner/outer loop of the beltway. ;)

This is actually why I told my husband yesterday that I wanted to spend a few more dollars and take the train. We'll be taking this trip in January and the last 2 years have had some pretty terrible snow storms around here. I figured the train would be the easiest and less likely to be backed up from accidents or something else. Even though we're only 45 mins from Baltimore I'm also considering staying a night in Baltimore just because of the time of the year.

• 1 year later...

Archived