Has the price of gas reached $65 a barrel?

Gingee

I see where you are added $10 per person per night if the gas has reached $65 a barrel. Has that happened? Our gas here is $4.29.

You are kidding, right??? Oil has been over $65 per barrel for most of the year. Oil closed today on the futures market at $113.25. Almost DOUBLE. Whether the cruise lines add in the fuel surcharge is up to each individual cruise line.

It is not the price of a barrel of gas, but the price of a barrel of WTI oil. As the other poster mentioned, that is currently $113 and change and has been over $65 for well over a year. While some of the European cruise lines (i.e. Cunard for example) have instituted fuel surcharges, so fare none of the RCCL brand lines have. The $65 figure is the level where they "reserve the right" to implement a fuel surcharge, not the level where one is automatically triggered. Likewise the $10 per/person, per/day figure is the maximum amount they may charge; it would not automatically be $10 if they reinstated a fuel surcharge. Most people believe they are using the strategy of building in the increased fuel costs into the pricing; however the higher oil goes, the more likely they are to reinstate a fuel surcharge. Hopefully oil stabilizes or starts trending downwards (many believe it is overblown at the current level) and no fuel surcharge materializes.

While Celebrity reserves the right to add the surcharge, they, nor any other cruise line, have opted to enforce it....in the USA.

I believe cruise lines have been able to incorporate the increased cost for fuel into their cruise prices....as it should be. The surcharge was not a very popular move for the cruise line 2 years ago and I think it cost them business.

I would be quite surprised for the fuel surcharge to come back. So many people would be very upset indeed.

I think the reality of the times is that oil will always be above $65 and much more near $100 from now on. Unless alternative fuel sources become much more widely used....then supply and demand would lower the price of oil.

Our gas here is $4.29.

I thought fuel was supposed to have got very expensive in the US - this is still a bargain ;)! My local petrol station price is current £1.385 per litre

at 3.785 litres per US gallon that's £5.24 per gallon

current exchange rate about $1.62 per £

so that's $8.49 per gallon...

I don't know about how prices are made up in the US - but here the price of fuel is determined more by government taxes than the price of crude.

I suspect the lack of surcharges is a result of two things - first, they do a lot of hedging with futures and options, so some fuel price risk is managed that way, and secondly, they don't want too many people cancelling, in the current economic climate.

I thought fuel was supposed to have got very expensive in the US - this is still a bargain ;)! My local petrol station price is current £1.385 per litre

at 3.785 litres per US gallon that's £5.24 per gallon

current exchange rate about $1.62 per £

so that's $8.49 per gallon....

Although the price of gasoline/petrol is on the rise in the States, it is and has been significantly cheaper than the UK or Europe. The price of gas here has a long way to go to equal what you pay at the pump.

Archived