How to know which cities fly non stop to specific destinations

Kelmn07

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a site where you can pick point a and see all of its non stop destinations? Or a way to pick destination point and see all the cities that have direct routes there. There have been times I've posted in the other forums where people suggest flying out of different airports that are more direct-so I wonder if they looked that up some where or knew from experience.

Specifically, I am trying to figure out the cheapest and fastest way possible to get from Boston to Venice, then Rome to Boston. If I do a regular multi-city search on kayak, it has a short one hour layover in Madrid, which may not be enough time. Or there is a 4+ hour layover which wastes half the day we could be spending in Venice. So I started thinking of all the different ways to get there, and someone said I can get there non stop from Philly.

If i search just from phl-vce, then fco-phl, it is about $200 more, so then i have to take into account the expense of getting to and from philly. So, I did a multi city search and did bos-phl, phl-vce, fco-phl, phl-bos-it was the same price as just phl-vce, then fco-phl! (And we have the entire day in Venice!) So I am trying to find out what other airports have direct flights to VCE and from FCO so I can try finagling this some more.

Sorry that was so long! :o

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a site where you can pick point a and see all of its non stop destinations? Or a way to pick destination point and see all the cities that have direct routes there. There have been times I've posted in the other forums where people suggest flying out of different airports that are more direct-so I wonder if they looked that up some where or knew from experience.

Specifically, I am trying to figure out the cheapest and fastest way possible to get from Boston to Venice, then Rome to Boston. If I do a regular multi-city search on kayak, it has a short one hour layover in Madrid, which may not be enough time. Or there is a 4+ hour layover which wastes half the day we could be spending in Venice. So I started thinking of all the different ways to get there, and someone said I can get there non stop from Philly.

If i search just from phl-vce, then fco-phl, it is about $200 more, so then i have to take into account the expense of getting to and from philly. So, I did a multi city search and did bos-phl, phl-vce, fco-phl, phl-bos-it was the same price as just phl-vce, then fco-phl! (And we have the entire day in Venice!) So I am trying to find out what other airports have direct flights to VCE and from FCO so I can try finagling this some more.

It sounds like your end goal is to find a more "ideal" layover connection than the options you are seeing when you simply search BOS-VCE. Is this correct? I am confused why you are only seeing two options, both with layovers in MAD. Kayak (or other search engines) usually provide dozens, if not hundreds, of potential airline/connection city/layover timing scenarios. (As a side note...by searching BOS-PHL, PHL-VCE / FCO-PHL, PHL-BOS you are actually intentionally excluding a nonstop flight option from Rome to Boston...)

Regardless, a couple of places to look, though none are necessarily efficient:

1. Look at your potential layover cities when searching for 1-stop flights. In other words, if you are flying BOS-JFK-VCE, that implies there is a direct flight JFK-VCE. ;) So expand some flights after your original search to get details and LOOK at where your options are. Then you can "force" specific connections if need be as you described with your multi-city approach.

2. Airport websites. If the arrivals information shows you a flight arriving in VCE that had come from PHL, then there must have been a direct flight from PHL.

3. Airline route maps, though you'd have to look at each individual airline that flies to your intended airports.

4. Trial and error searches (in other words, JFK has a ton of international flights, so I'd guess there's a direct flight from there).

5. Tourism websites and/or guidebooks usually provide a list (not necessarily comprehensive and/or up to date) of direct flights.

Maybe someone has a quicker way to look this info up, but these should get you a good start.

It sounds like your end goal is to find a more "ideal" layover connection than the options you are seeing when you simply search BOS-VCE. Is this correct? I am confused why you are only seeing two options, both with layovers in MAD. Kayak (or other search engines) usually provide dozens, if not hundreds, of potential airline/connection city/layover timing scenarios.

Correct, I haven't liked the layovers. I specify Madrid because when I search bos-vce, fco-bos, the cheapest, quickest flight stops there. But it's either a 1 hr or 4 hr layover.

(As a side note...by searching BOS-PHL, PHL-VCE / FCO-PHL, PHL-BOS you are actually intentionally excluding a nonstop flight option from Rome to Boston...)

Not my intention, but I have yet to see a direct flight to boston from BOS.

1. Look at your potential layover cities when searching for 1-stop flights. In other words, if you are flying BOS-JFK-VCE, that implies there is a direct flight JFK-VCE. ;) So expand some flights after your original search to get details and LOOK at where your options are. Then you can "force" specific connections if need be as you described with your multi-city approach.

That's how I got started on this crazy post lol

I appreciate the lengthy response to my post. I am just trying to number crunch as much as possible, so trying to think outside of the box :)

I'm not 100% sure of the question anymore. But if you want to know what cities have direct flights to an airport, and on what airlines, I use wikipedia. I know there are fancy-smancy programs that give better info. But to get a first impression as to what is possible, wikipedia works great.

Hello,

Sounds wierd; but Wikipedia is the place to go. Look up the airport you want to go (or from); and there is listed all the non-stop destinations; so...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_da_Vinci-Fiumicino_Airport

and you can see all the places with non-stop flights. It's not always 100% correct, and may contain direct[same plane but stopping] flights as well; but it's a great place to start

If you are looking for non-stop service from the USA to VCE, you have two choices of airlines - Delta and US Airways. If you insist on flying non-stop from the USA to VCE, that's the extent of your choices. And both fly non-stop from FCO to the USA.

Any other method/airline to VCE will entail a connection within Europe. Take your pick of airlines, then build a connection through their hub(s). Airlines that you could use from BOS to Euro-hub to VCE would be AF, AZ, BA, EI, IB, LH, and LX. You could also code-share on DL/KL and AA/BA.

Other options would then be a double-connect - once in the USA and once in Europe. The number of those options becomes quite large.

You talk of connection times and prices. I think you need to firm up what your priorities are, then go in that direction. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with 4 hour connections - they give you time to stretch your legs, get a bite to eat, browse through the airport and such. Plus, when your inbound is 2 hours late, that extra time sure comes in handy. If you come prepared for a longer connection, you'd be surprised how the time can fly.

If you are asking this question, quite honestly, you probably should be working with a local travel agent who give you all the various alternatives.

Any other method/airline to VCE will entail a connection within Europe.
Just to be a wiseass (and not to take anything away from your answer) but there are other options. Emirates via Dubai for instance.

Archived