Valencia - What would you recommend?

We are going with RCCL to Valencia, but not sure what to do when we get there. Do we need to pre-book a trip or can we get a bus into the city and just wander round. What is there to see and do? Any advice welcome as I know nothing about this city at all.

There is a very nice HOHO bus ride in Valencia, which is a very good introduction to the city. The architecture in both the old town and the ultra modern cite de science is stunning.

City centre has leafy squares with orange trees and a beautiful cathedral.

There is a beach not far from the aquarium.

The port is a couple of miles from the city centre, so a shuttle bus would be needed.

We liked Valencia very much!

kate

I would visit the older area that is downtown including the very large market.

We also enjoyed spending time at the Oceanografic Valencia which was not too far from the ship. The views of sea life from inside the aquarium were a delight.

Keith

We also enjoyed spending time at the Oceanografic Valencia which was not too far from the ship. The views of sea life from inside the aquarium were a delight.

Keith

The market is fabulous - paella pans (if you like to make paella) of all sizes. And if you like spices - a huge variety (all in sealed bags so you can take on board and home) at very reasonable prices.

It's a cornocupia of experiences - and fun :)

There is a very nice HOHO bus ride in Valencia, which is a very good introduction to the city. The architecture in both the old town and the ultra modern cite de science is stunning.

City centre has leafy squares with orange trees and a beautiful cathedral.

There is a beach not far from the aquarium.

The port is a couple of miles from the city centre, so a shuttle bus would be needed.

We liked Valencia very much!

kate

Thank you Kate. Sounds good! This is my first cruise so I'm a bit ignorant about cruising. Does the shuttle bus pick you up from the port where you dock and do you have to book it through your cruise co, or is there usually one waiting for you when the ship docks?

Keith

Keith, This is my first cruise. Do I need to book anything with my cruise company or can you just pick up a bus from the port when you get there, that takes you into the town? Is it easy to get about in Valencia on foot?

Thank you Kate. Sounds good! This is my first cruise so I'm a bit ignorant about cruising. Does the shuttle bus pick you up from the port where you dock and do you have to book it through your cruise co, or is there usually one waiting for you when the ship docks?

It was 2008 when we were there, and the shuttle bus was provided by the port. However, it didn't go into town, just to the port entrance, where an official from the bus company guided us onto the local bus. We were a bit disorientated when it came to getting back, but soon realised the port entrance wasn't far from the aquarium, so we figured it out from there! Things may well be different now, and I suppose it depends on your cruise line- if they provide a bus into town I am sure there will be a small charge for it!

kate

• 1 month later...

We have decided, after listening to others comments and reading other threads, to go to the Aquarium (decided whole of science museum too big to do as well) and get the HoHo bus around the city.

My questions are:-

How far is the Aquarium from the port and is it walkable? Can you get the HoHo bus from the Aquarium into the city?

Thanks in advance. Only 6 days to go! Woo hoo!

Hi- sounds like a good plan! The hoho bus certainly stops at the aquarium, but I'm not sure if you can board and pay there. Maybe the website will give more information if no-one else knows?

As to walking it- it's close enough to the port entrance but it depends where you dock. I think I saw another post about this on this board a few weeks ago.

Have a great cruise!

kate

Thanks Kate. I have checked the website like you suggested but it doesn't make it clear so I have e-mailed them.

I'm not sure which Dock RCCL comes into so I will try and google that too. If not, we can either jump on a bus I suppose or get a taxi.

Thanks for your advice.:)

Archived