So Princess What About this Tour?

truckmaker

Is the new Royal Princess is being built in a shipyard that is close to any current port? It seems to me that this might make an interesting tour. Not only would it have interest from a pure fabrication perspective but also it could double as a marketing event to people who already are cruisers and understand the concept. The main concern I would venture would be safety for the participants. To me it would simply require a couple of overview platforms as well as a mock up that likely already exists as well as a brief presentation by someone who could do the project justice.

Personally I would have interest in taking this type of tour. Anyone else?

Is the new Royal Princess is being built in a shipyard that is close to any current port? It seems to me that this might make an interesting tour. Not only would it have interest from a pure fabrication perspective but also it could double as a marketing event to people who already are cruisers and understand the concept. The main concern I would venture would be safety for the participants. To me it would simply require a couple of overview platforms as well as a mock up that likely already exists as well as a brief presentation by someone who could do the project justice.

Personally I would have interest in taking this type of tour. Anyone else?

She's being built at Monfalcone, Italy which is about 80 miles from Venice. I'd love to participate in a tour such as you propose.

She's being built by Fincantieri, in Trieste, I believe. Across the Adriatic from Venice. So not a current port but would be an interesting addition to itins in the future -- not sure what's there to see (Roman ruins, I imagine; probably an old city).

Maybe they'll do a video on the website, like the drydock videos.

You say Monfalcone; I say Trieste -- let's call the whole thing off [sorry -- was watching Fred Astaire movies over the weekend].

You're right, of course. Where the heck did I get Trieste? I need a nap . . .

While I think this would make an interesting tour, it's a construction zone and people can be, and have been, killed during ship construction. It would be a big insurance liability. I doubt you'd be allowed anywhere near the ship as I doubt Princess would get the insurance, nor would you be willing to pay for it. :( Besides, until the ship is completed and finishes it's sea trials, it doesn't belong to Princess but to the shipyard.

I think it would be a great excursion, just the type that interests us. But then, we spent 2.5 hours last winter thoroughly entertained watching the dockside commercial freight operations on Aruba from the ship we were on (Maasdam). Different strokes...

Archived