Transderm Scop Patch/Mtn Sickness

sunny227

I get car sick/motion sick and am just a nauseated person in general. Last year on the Ecstasy even with the patch I got sick the first morning. For the last 5 years I have called my doctor's office and asked that they call in for me a prescription for Transderm. Never been a problem.

Today, I call in preparation for my upcoming cruise June 4 and am told that I have to come in for an appointment in order to get the prescription. I was just there for a physical 6 months ago, and had bloodwork for my cholesterol, etc. 2 months ago.

For those of you out there who use Transderm do you have to go see the doctor first? Secondly, what other alternatives are there that work for possible seasickness? I do not want to risk it by taking nothing.

it is just your doctor's preference that you come in first. I had a dermatologist that used to make me come in every 6 months before he would refill a prescription I had been taking for 8 years! Even the pharmacist said it was just so he could collect the insurance payment. I have a new dermatologist now.:rolleyes:

Transderm Scop is actually a timed release version of the drug Scopolomine. That drug is a poison with many potential side effects (read the PDR sometime). Most folks do fine on that drug, but quite a few others have issues. There was a recent post on another forum by a ships officer (works for a cruise line in the Pursers Office and guest relations) who told interesting stories about Transderm Scop. He said it was not all that rare to find folks wondering around the ship in a daze (some naked) while they were on the patch. He pointed out that it is a rare ship's physician that would ever give out that drug. I have used the patch myself with no problems (other then a dry mouth) but DW has major vision problems on the patch (she cannot focus or read a book). The drug of choice on cruise lines is Bonine (Meclizine HCL) which is also available as a prescription called Antivert.

I should add that our own family physician (who has been a friend for over thirty years) does not like to ever give out scripts without seeing a patient. He points out that when a patient calls to get a script his office manager must retrieve the medical record and put it on his desk. He then reviews the record, records the new script in the patients record, and has to call it in to the pharmacy. All this takes time and when multiplied by more then a dozen times a day becomes a minor pain. Essentially patients are expecting their physicians to give a service for free!

Hank

it is just your doctor's preference that you come in first. I had a dermatologist that used to make me come in every 6 months before he would refill a prescription I had been taking for 8 years! Even the pharmacist said it was just so he could collect the insurance payment. I have a new dermatologist now.:rolleyes:

Sorry, but this is not true. It's just the standard of care to see a patient for a refill; depends on the medication how often this must be done. It doesn't matter how long you've been taking a drug. It is the doctor's responsibility to check on your current medical condition, changes in any other medications, side effects, etc., to make sure it is safe for you to continue taking this drug.

I would question a doctor who continually refilled prescriptions without follow-up visits.

My doctor always just let me call them and they would give me the prescription, but that doctor left and they assigned me a different doctor so when I was going on my cruise last September they made me go in to see the doctor since I hadn't seen him before but he said I wouldn't have to go in the next time. I always use the patch. It is the only thing that I completely trust to keep me from getting sick. I have been on two cruises that were super stormy and I felt fine with the patch on. I'm the kind of person that gets sick in the back seat of a car, so I completely trust the patch!

Wow! How sad for you that you would change a dermatologist just for making you come in for a visit every SIX MONTHS!! Is your pharmacist an MD? No. How can your pharmacist dispense information like this to you? I think that might be illegal. If I were you, I'd drop that "pharmacist" yesterday!! I'll just bet that you had to have an office visit with your NEW dermatologist!

Personally, I would be suspicious of ANY Doctor who did NOT require at least one visit every six months to renew a prescription!! In addition, I'd sure be suspicious of your pharmacist for making a comment like that!! It's a good thing for YOU to be medically responsible for yourself. How do you know your dermatological Rx requirements haven't changed in eight years without an exam?

My dermatologist asks me to visit every TWO months, which I do, because I had a squamous cell skin cancer removed TWO years ago. I feel badly that you seem to not be too concerned about your own dermatological needs. Good luck to you!

Personally, I would be suspicious of ANY Doctor who did NOT require at least one visit every six months to renew a prescription!!

I believe that by law, it is every twelve months - but each medical office has their own policies that they follow.

Most of the doctors I had worked for in the past would allow as Rx like Transderm Scop called in without a visit IF you had had it in the past without a problem AND were a regular patient (and seen within the last year).

Thanks everyone. I just thought it was weird. I am a healthy female in my 30's, was just there for a physical a few months ago. I would never expect a doctor to call in any other type of prescription for me but for over 5 years the patch has not been an issue.

Oh well.

Archived