Booking Conquest out of NOLA today.....advice?

mcfam5

Hi Everyone,

We are booking our Thanksgiving cruise on the Conquest out of New Orleans today! Woo Hoo! It took us quite a while to make a final decision, but we are excited with what we selected. This will be our platinum cruise!

We have never sailed out of NOLA and have never been on the Conquest (although we did sail on the Glory in 2007). Does anyone have any tips, advice or suggestions for us?

Also, we will be going to Montego Bay, Jamaica for the first time. Any suggestions?

Loved it..... One of my favorite cruises. I really enjoyed the long cruise down the Mississippi river. It will be mostly at night for you, but the lights along the river and when you finally hit the gulf are really pretty. Try to get a port side balcony if you can. At first you will be on the dock side, but the ship turns around before heading out.

I really enjoyed the ship. I hang out a lot in the disco, and the Conquest had a good one. One of my favorite ships.

Jamaica was ok, but you can really avoid any excursion that takes you into town. It was dirty, dreary, and the entire time we were accosted by beggars and "sales" people who would sell you anything from trinkets to drugs to people.... We would not do that again. On our excursion, we floated down a very pretty river in inner tubes. Guides were funny, helpful and they did all the paddling. We just hooked ourselves together and off we went.

I have also heard that the falls are a very nice excursion. I believe that is what we will do if we ever go back to Jamaica.

Any other questions?

Bob

Not sure if you were planning on spending the night before in New Orleans but we stayed at the Drury Inn with the Cruise package they have there. Very nice hotel and you can leave your car parked there for the week. Not too far from cruise terminal.

Vicki

I love leaveing from New Orleans. If you go a day or two early I would find a place and don't wait. I have stayed at 5 or 6 different places and like cruisebarbie said I think Drury Inn would be a good place

Conquest goes to Montego Bay, (many other Carnival cruises port at Ocho Rios) so be aware those suggesting some excursions may have docked elsewhere.

Iv walked into Montego Bay twice .. as far as people bothering me, once you get past the port, I wasnt hardly bothered. A few taxi drivers leaned out to ask me if I wanted a taxi, no thanks.

I walked around the local part, got on the internet, went to the local stores. I think its how you walk if you are accosted or not. Or maybe its because when I worked in S FL I worked with Jamaicans and if someone waves at me, I just wave back.

Archived