enough time?-i hope so

zeenichka

Hi all,

Our group (7 to 11 people) would like to eat at this restaurant in Oia. One of our group members ate at this place and said it is wonderful place to watch the sunset.

http://www.oia-1800.com/

Sounds great doesn't it?

But.... some people in our group are worried we won't get back to the ship on time. The restaurant opens at 7pm (we would be waiting at the door when they open). The sunsets around 8:30pm. Our ship leaves the port at 10pm. Can we leave Oia and get to the ship let's say by 9:15? Would Celebrity not let us on?

Our younger group (as one put it, we like to live on the wild side) think it is enough time. I think it is doable.

May I have some feedback please for those who have been there?

Thank you so much.

I would be more then a little concerned about your ability to get back on time. You would need to pre-arrange transportation for your group and pray to the Greek Gods that your ride actually shows-up. The problem is your last tender would be at 9:30. You would need to get back to Fira and then go down the cable car (probably no queue at that hour). But you can wait a few minutes for the cable car (if there was a queue you might be in big trouble). So assume you need to be back at Fira by 9 which means leaving Oia no later then 8:45! Youalso need to realize that your restaurant is a bit of a walk to where the taxis must wait (this is near the bus stop) so you probably need to allow another 10 min to get from your restaurant to the parking lot (unless you can find some transportation to guarantee they can somehow come right to your restaurant). And all of this leaves zero margin for error, a problem on the road (flat tire, accident, etc). A lot of independent travel experience tells me this is not a good plan.

Hank

In Santorini Celebrity had a Greek dinner by the pool on our sailing in 2007. I suspect that is what they are planning to do. It was really nice because they had greek food and music and you looked up at the little island and it was very romantic and a nice experience. Like a big casual party. So I wouldn't want to be anxious at dinner wondering about tendering back to the ship in time.

If you want to do a nice Greek lunch- I'd probably do lunch on shore. We had a great lunch. I had a "Greek Salad" and it was great!

In 2007 we had lunch at the Kastro restaurant in Oia. This was very nice, with good views over the sea. Then we went back to Fira, wandered for a bit, then found a bar. I've got some pictures of it but unfortunately i can post the link directly: they're on another 'cruise' site & cc prevents directs links to it. But if you look here, then select the link to Santorini (2007), you'll find them.

On that occasion we were leaving at 6pm so no sunset, but you could do the same sort of thing just time-shifted a few hours. I owuld agree with Hank: I wouldn't want to rely on taxis in the evening if I absolutely had to be back in Fira by a certain time.

Hank:

You seem to be very familiar with Santorini. If my wife and I really just wanted to wander around Oia and Fira, what would you recommend. Tour? Taxi? Bus? We'll have six hours. Or is there something better to do?

Thanks,

Larry

Well, we think a tour is a waste of money if you want to spend your time in the two towns. Of course if you like a to be herded through crowded little streets with a guide saying things like "this is an ice cream shop," "that is an outdoor cafe," "here is a nice jewelry store that you should check-out" (because they give me a kick-back on sales), etc etc then take a tour. As to getting back and forth between Fira and Oia (both towns that can only be explored on foot) the local bus is the cheapest option. However spliting the cost of a taxi with another couple is faster. Just keep in mind that the buses do not run very often and many cruise passengers want to get back from Oia about the same time. So, you do not want to cut things too close on the return to Fira.

Hank

Well, we think a tour is a waste of money if you want to spend your time in the two towns. Of course if you like a to be herded through crowded little streets with a guide saying things like "this is an ice cream shop," "that is an outdoor cafe," "here is a nice jewelry store that you should check-out" (because they give me a kick-back on sales), etc etc then take a tour. As to getting back and forth between Fira and Oia (both towns that can only be explored on foot) the local bus is the cheapest option. However spliting the cost of a taxi with another couple is faster. Just keep in mind that the buses do not run very often and many cruise passengers want to get back from Oia about the same time. So, you do not want to cut things too close on the return to Fira.

Hank

Hank:

Thanks, for both the smile and the information. We'll follow your advice and do Santorini on our own with either cable car or donkey and bus or taxi. Or, we might even follow your advice on another post and rent a car and see the rest of the island. Once again, I've enjoyed reading your posts. They are very informative.

Larry

Donkey? So you are the brave ones. We did the donkeys many years ago when we were much younger. DW and I were on the first tender and hopped on two donkeys and started up the path (with one of the handlers following behind). Our two donkeys decided to have a race (we did not have much to say about this) and my donkey was on the inside where there is a wall of very rough stones. My donkey decided it would be fun to drag my bare leg (I had on shorts) against these rocks which would have ripped my leg wide open. I kept pushing away from the wall with my foot and tried to pull that donkey away from the wall using the reins. But the donkey was having none of this and kept trying to push my leg against that nasty wall. Finally, I got angry and yanked the reins as hard as I could (to the laughter of the handler who was a few yards behind). My donkey slowed down, turned his head so he made eye contact, gave me a look, and continued up the hill. But, he did not try to push me against the wall anymore so I guess he got the message :). Have fun.

Hank

Archived