Has Labadee's Sandbar Island Excursion changed?

saus

In researching the available excursions at Labadee I have come across literally hundreds of positive reviews of the Sandbar Island Rum Rendezvous cruise. It involves a nice cruise, stops at two sandbars, and copious amounts of rum punch. The more recent reviews put the price at $55.

The excursions listed for my cruise on the Allure don't include the Rum Rendezvous, but do include the Sandbar Island Getaway, with two-hour trips offered at 10 am and 1 pm. The price is $45.

Does anyone know the difference between the well-reviewed Rum Rendezvous and the virtually unmentioned Getaway?

Did RCI crack down and limit alcohol consumption on this excursion?

I tried calling RCI but the friendly customer service agent I spoke with couldn't help me.

Has anyone been on the afternoon Getaway? If so, did you make two stops? Was the rum punch flowing freely, or were you limited to a token glass?

• 1 month later...
I don't know about the differences in the 2 excursions, but for $45, you could get pretty damn drunk on any rum drink on Labadee...without paying for some excursion!

No doubt, but the value of the excursion is to be out on the water, looking back at Haiti, and to visit a couple of pristine beaches that, by all accounts, are much nicer than the beaches at Labadee.

I'm really just trying to figure out if the trip has been toned down a bit, so it is appropraite for children, or if it is still fairly debaucherous (which is fine too) and not the best choice for kids.

Has anyone tried this excursion recently?

• 1 month later...

Havent tried this personally but planning to go on this next year and so have been looking around at other threads & reviews!!

It looks like the company were asked to 'tone down' the original excusion - lots of rum equals rowdy passengers coming back to the ship !!! ;)

So - I think the earlier (morning) trip will be for families (although there will still be a bar!) and the afternoon one 'adults only' (and therefore probably more drinking & dancing etc!!!)

I think the rum is only a glass or two each although answers to this vary -either way, the bar is open and by all accounts is pretty cheap - 2 drinks for $5 and 4 beers for $10 ?!)

But, I really think if you get a good group you will have fun on whichever one you go on :)

Hope you have fun !

• 2 weeks later...

....we are going next month on the Oasis,,,when we signed up for the Rum Rendevous,,,there were 2 listed,,,one had children listed and the other didnt,,,,we are doing the non family one,,,dont have a clue what it will be like but sounded like fun.

• 2 weeks later...

We went on the 10am Sandbar excursion last week while on Allure. There were children and adults and we were all served one drink which was inculded in price - either fruit punch or rum punch. The boat ride took about 25 minutes to get to the island and we spent a little over an hour lounging around in the water - wish there was more time. It was really lovely water and scenery. On the way back, they cranked the music and got a few of us up dancing :) It was a great way to spend a couple of hours.

• 2 weeks later...

I would leave anything of great value in your safe on the ship as you really only need seapass, swimsuit, sunglasses and sunscreen for anything you do in and around Labadee. I would have felt very safe leaving them on the Sandbar boat as the sandbar area is very small and we just floated in the waters around the boat. We took a few dollars for tips and if you want to take some money for beer or rum on the tour you could, but when you return back to Labadee, no need to take money as they charge drinks back to room and the BBQ food is free.

Archived