How formal are alaskian formal nights?

Pete69

Hi All,

As we are travelling from Australia we are restricted with our luggage. Would a long sleve shirt and tie - no jacket with nice dress pants be sufficient for guys to get into the main dining room?? We would hate to miss the formal nights but are very resticted with our luggage.

Cheers

The formalists will tell you that the majority of people do adhere to their suggested dress code in the dining room but more & more people are doing just as you described with a long sleeve dress shirt & pants without the jacket. If you'll feel out of place then the idea might be for you, but the head waiter's on all the ships I've been on will still let you dine in the evenings & you'll fine at least a dozen guys each evening doing likewise. Others will say that they've seen people turned away if not dressed properly, and they very well might have, but in the last 10-12 years I've been doing so without any problems & never been turned away.

I found Alaska cruising by far to be the most casual dress of all of the cruises we have taken, presumably because most folks fly and the luggage restrictions. I would think that the outfit you described would be just fine. Others may say different!

We did an Alaskan cruise this past Sept. and found that formal nights had a variety of dress. We did the fancy slacks with a dressy top while my husband wore his suit. My brother in law opted for a tux. It depends on what you want to wear. Have a great cruise. Alaska is an awesome place.

Carol

I think you will be just fine and that is what DH plans on wearing. We have enough other bulky clothes to pack for Alaska without trying to squeeze in the suit coat.

Yes I did read the Princess Answer book and it states right on the top of that category Clothing "Recommendations"

I found Alaska cruising by far to be the most casual dress of all of the cruises we have taken, presumably because most folks fly and the luggage restrictions. I would think that the outfit you described would be just fine. Others may say different!

We found the same, Alaskan cruises seem to be a lot less formal then many others we have sailed on. My guess is because clothes needed to be taken for these cruises are much heavier for daily use.

We took sports jackets instead of tuxedos or suits on our Alaskan cruise last summer. It allowed us to have just two checked bags instead of three, mainly because we did not need extra shoes.

Most of the men in the dining room on formal nights wore jackets and ties (either suits, sports coats, or tuxedos). There were a few in dress shirts and ties. I did not see anyone with a shirt without jacket or tie. There were a few in suits without ties.

Personally, someone who tries at least halfway by wearing a tie (as long as he's not wearing it with a short-sleeved shirt) should get a pass.

From what I've read, some maitre d's are fussier than others about enforcing the suggested dress code.

We did Alaska on the Pacific Princess a couple of years ago for 14 days. We were actually surprised at just how informal, "formal" night was. I would say only about 40% of the men had tuxes or suites. Many just wore a sport coat with no tie and open collar shirt. I think you will be fine with what you want to wear.

Hi All,

Thanks for the tips muchly appreciated. I did read the answer book however I usually find answers here a little more up to date.

I would love to take my suit, but we are travelling from Australia to Canada/Alaska/USA so need to be careful how much we take with us.

Archived