best tips for embarkation day - emerald

sunandfun4me

hi, all! dm and i sailing on emerald 9/29/11 to the southern caribbean. we both can't wait! have a couple of questions regarding embarkation that we're hoping for a little help with...

1. if you are booked in a guaranteed balcony, is there a chance that you might not find out your acutal cabin assignment until you board? and if this is the case, how do you check your luggage in w/o having any cabin info?

2. what is the best, possible time to get to pt. everglades for easy, breezy check in? we've only sailed on X and usually have shown up 11:30 thru 12:30...on the ship in 30 minutes max. same w. princess? we live in south florida, so can adjust our 'leave the house' schedule accordingly. just want to avoid the mad rush if we can!

3. where is the best place to have lunch on embarkation day? we're not at all into the buffet at embarkation....always crazy and nuts! i've heard the mdr is open, but depending what time we get on the ship, might not work for us. is the international cafe open?

4. other than one's own balcony, where is the best place to be on emerald for sail away?

appreciate your help! thanks much! :)

hi, all! dm and i sailing on emerald 9/29/11 to the southern caribbean. we both can't wait! have a couple of questions regarding embarkation that we're hoping for a little help with...

1. if you are booked in a guaranteed balcony, is there a chance that you might not find out your acutal cabin assignment until you board? and if this is the case, how do you check your luggage in w/o having any cabin info?

Normally your cabin assignment will show up on your cruise personalizer before you leave. But if by chance you aren't assigned until you reach the pier (this does happen occasionally), the porters will have a list with cabin numbers. Take a pen or marker with you so you can just fill in the cabin number on your luggage tags before you turn them over.

2. what is the best, possible time to get to pt. everglades for easy, breezy check in? we've only sailed on X and usually have shown up 11:30 thru 12:30...on the ship in 30 minutes max. same w. princess? we live in south florida, so can adjust our 'leave the house' schedule accordingly. just want to avoid the mad rush if we can!

Normally, if you arrive between 1:00-2:00 you will be able to just check in and walk right onboard. The lines are usually gone by then.

3. where is the best place to have lunch on embarkation day? we're not at all into the buffet at embarkation....always crazy and nuts! i've heard the mdr is open, but depending what time we get on the ship, might not work for us. is the international cafe open?

If you arrive after 1:00 so you don't have to stand in line, the dining room will be closed for lunch by the time you get there. There are other places to grab a light lunch also though. Pizza, burgers, the International Cafe..........you won't just have the buffet to choose from.

4. other than one's own balcony, where is the best place to be on emerald for sail away?

The sail away part will be at the main pool, if you want to join in the fun, aside from the privacy of your balcony, that would be the place. Just follow the music.

appreciate your help! thanks much! :)

I hope the answers above helped you plan for your arrival and sail away. Enjoy!

If you arrive after 2:00PM, you will walk right through security,

check-in and right on to the ship, no delay.

If you arrive after 1:00PM, you have a 90% chance of the above.

People will start lining up around 10:30, and embarcation usually

starts right around noon. Except for suite/elite/platinum cruisers,

the people who arrive between 10:30 and 12:00 will pretty much

board in order.

So, If you arrive at 10:30 you will be among the first once checkin

starts, but you will have to wait in line for 90 minutes.

If you arrive at 12:00, you will just have to wait for all the people

ahead of you to check-in. (Probably several hundred)

Some people like to get on board as soon as possible, so that they

feel like they've started their vacation.

Some are just really impatient. (hand in the air here)

Some people like to get on board so that they can book things right

away: sanctuary seats, Ultimate Ship Tour, Chef's table, or spa

appointments.

Some people like to get on board early so that they can have lunch

in the main dining room.

The best way to get on board early -- if you're not suite/platinum/elite

-- is to bring someone along as a 'Bon Voyage' guest. They pay

$39pp, and to board the ship for the afternoon, have lunch, get a

picture, tour, etc.

If they decide to book a cruise, they can apply the $39 to the booking.

Bon Voyage guests and their party board absolutely first,

and get to wait in the the suite/elite/platinum waiting area.

I've been on Emerald quite a few times, and I'll be on board

with you on the 29th. I don't think Mrs. Pablo will be able to

come, but she may 'Bon Voyage' just for fun. (she's been

on Emerald 6-8 times, so I don't think she needs to see the

ship. But, she does like the desert souffle in the MDR for

embarcation lunch, and has plenty of coffee card punches

for the international cafe)

We typically arrive early and try to board early. However, on our last cruise in Feb (Crown) we got to the port at 12:30 and there was no line at all. We filled out our forms and went to designated desk. Easiest embarcation ever!

We also try to avoid the madhouse at the buffet first day. The International Cafe is open and is great for a light lunch.

We will see you and mom soon!!!

Judy

Our favorite place for any sail away is the deck on top the bridge. On the first day, it's mostly empty and you feel like a VIP because most people don't know how to get there. A bunch of people gather along the rails of nearby decks and call out asking how to get there, LOL. As the week goes on, more and more people discover it.

If you're unfamiliar with it, go forward as far as possible on Lido and through the unmarked double doors. It's sort-of close to the pool party as well since it's the same deck.

We usually like to get to the port by 11am. We'd be on the ship in 30 minutes or so. (Our next trip in Oct. will be our first as platinum.:D We'll see what happens then. :confused:)

We like sail-away towards the back, so we can see both sides and wave good bye to the REAL world!!!:D

Our favorite place for any sail away is the deck on top the bridge. On the first day, it's mostly empty and you feel like a VIP because most people don't know how to get there.

That's now closed on Emerald. I was told 'forever'.

It used to be open at sailaway, and also in port. It was never

open, and no open could have it opened, so I spoke directly

with the PSD (hotel manager).

He told me that there was more electronics installed there,

than there used to be...

...and that some pax had screwed with it.

So, now the area is closed.

Just like second grade. One kid talks, and everyone misses recess.

I like to go up to Skywalkers for sailaway as I'm not into pool parties. Plus, you get a spectacular view and can stay inside if it's raining or hot, or go outside for a better view.

Unlike Celebrity, the Princess buffet is open 24/7. Also, unlike Celebrity, if you want to check in before 1pm, your cabin will be available and you can go right to it. Princess doesn't even start boarding until all cabins are available, usually between 11:30-Noon. The first rush is past so if you arrive between 12:30-1pm, check-in and boarding should be pretty fast.

If they do the same thing on the Emerald as they do on the Crown & Ruby, they'll have a "scavanger hunt" when you board. They give you a map of the ship and a card to get stamped by staff at various points on the ship. Its a great way to see the ship if you don't take a tour.

Then, at sailaway, they draw completed cards for prizes on the pool deck. On our first cruise, we were at the pool deck and met a lovely group of ladies from New Jersey, including one who had a hilarious fascination with a guy walking around the pool in just a speedo :eek:

The use of speedos on the pool deck should be regulated, or warnings posted. ;)

The use of speedos on the pool deck should be regulated, or warnings posted.

We won't start a swimwear discussion here, but just to play devil's advocate......

Not everyone who wears a Speedo is overweight and out of shape. How would you feel if you were expected to wear a swimsuit that was down to your knees and weighed 5 pounds when wet? :rolleyes: ........seriously....imagine if you had to wear that?

Archived