trains from london to southampton

These are two of the rail companies that were set up following the break-up & privatisation of British Rail. The privatisation has brought many advantages - but confusion is one of the disadvantages.

Confused? :confused:

You will be :D

I'm on thin ice here, cos I'm no expert but I think you'll find that three franchises operate London to Southampton.

South-West Trains operate a fast, frequent & direct service from London Waterloo. :)

Southern operate a direct service from London Victoria - but it goes the pretty way, so takes an hour longer (but ideal for London Gatwick airport - Southampton)

First Great Western offer a service London Paddington to Reading, then change trains for Southampton.

I've no idea how long it takes, because unless there's a problem with the South-West service from Waterloo there's no point in taking it. :rolleyes:

Even if you start in Paddington.

It's also possible, but not advisable, to take a Southern train from London Victoria to Clapham Junction & switch there to the SouthWest train to Southampton.

For 99% of rail passengers, SouthWest trains from London Waterloo is the way to go.

Especially if you buy silly-cheap advance-purchase non-refundable Megatrain tickets at £4 or less (Megatrain rent carriages on SouthWest trains on this route)

John Bull

These are two of the rail companies that were set up following the break-up & privatisation of British Rail. The privatisation has brought many advantages - but confusion is one of the disadvantages.

Confused? :confused:

You will be :D

I'm on thin ice here, cos I'm no expert but I think you'll find that three franchises operate London to Southampton.

South-West Trains operate a fast, frequent & direct service from London Waterloo. :)

Southern operate a direct service from London Victoria - but it goes the pretty way, so takes an hour longer (but ideal for London Gatwick airport - Southampton)

First Great Western offer a service London Paddington to Reading, then change trains for Southampton.

I've no idea how long it takes, because unless there's a problem with the South-West service from Waterloo there's no point in taking it. :rolleyes:

It's also possible, but not advisable, to take a Southern train from London Victoria to Clapham Junction & switch there to the SouthWest train to Southampton.

For 99% of rail passengers, SouthWest trains from London Waterloo is the way to go.

Especially if you buy silly-cheap advance-purchase non-refundable Megatrain tickets at £4 or less (Megatrain rent carriages on SouthWest trains on this route)

John Bull

Yep! What John Bull said!

Don't get hooked up on trying to sort out the different companies. They're all part of the British rail network. A train is a train is a train . . . . and will get you from A to B, regardless of which company owns it.

Go to London Waterloo station. Buy a ticket. Get on the train. It's really much easier than it sounds.

It'If you're near Paddington (NW London) it's actually a good choice and actually the service from Paddington is fairly quick (1h28m including change). However it's actually two different rail companies, First Great Western to Reading, and Cross Country from Reading to Southampton.

To the un-initiated, think of the difference between train companies as the difference between airlines. The service might be a little different and the colour of the train might vary, but you can still buy a ticket that goes through on multiple lines (in the Reading case First Great Western and Cross Country); just think of it as changing planes between United and US Air....

So; in Summary; your choices (by rail) are:

• Southwestern: London Waterloo -> Southampton Central (1h15 - 1h40m; 3 per hr)
  • Southern: London Victoria -> Southampton Central (2h25m, 1 per hr)
  • First Great Western & Cross Country (change at Reading): London Paddington -> Reading -> Southampton Central (1h30m incl 8 min change of trains).

If I were staying near Paddington, I wouldn't hesitate to take the connection via Reading, but Waterloo is the main London station serving Southampton.

Clear as mud?

(oh, and if you can get a Megatrain ticket, it's the way to go).

BUT, you can only get the www.megatrain.co.uk ticket on the South West trains Waterloo - Southampton service. Usually £1/person plus 50p booking fee about 40 days before travel.

Simon

Yes, you're quite right, megatrain is only available on SouthWest from Waterloo to Southampton Central

However, in the absence of a really great deal on Waterloo -> Southampton; the change of trains at Reading isn't bad at all, and the total journey time will be quicker than having to cross London to get to Waterloo if you're staying near Paddington to start with.

Yes, you're quite right, megatrain is only available on SouthWest from Waterloo to Southampton Central

As I said in my post.

John Bull 1, Scottbee 0 :p

However, in the absence of a really great deal on Waterloo -> Southampton; the change of trains at Reading isn't bad at all, and the total journey time will be quicker than having to cross London to get to Waterloo if you're staying near Paddington to start with

Dammit. Not as I said in my post, too damned lazy to check it out.

Own Goal

John Bull 1, Scottbee 1 :(

An honourable draw :)

Regards, JB ;)

Can you get the megatrain deal for Sunday departures? I've been on the website - can't tell if they are all sold out or if there just aren't any for Sundays. Any advise??

The Megatrain fare is not available on Sundays. Look at their website and click on any Sunday and it's not available but all the other days are.

http://www.megatrain.co.uk/landing.php

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone tell me how strict the Megatrain is in their policy of one suitcase per person? I'm pretty sure we will probably have 2 per person.

Thanks,

Ann

Hi Ann,

Megatrain operate carriages on other operators' trains, and they also operate their own inter-city buses.

My reading of their terms is that the 1x20kg case limit is for their buses :rolleyes: - this is because of maximum gross vehicle weight limits. If everyone brought more than that, the driver would have to enforce the rule to avoid breaking the law. Megabus operate high capacity double-deckers. Other bus/coach companies have similar rules, rarely enforced, though different designs & seating layouts mean that their limits are more generous.

For megatrain, the limit is two cases per person, no weight limit. And I think you can take it as read that this is in addition to hand-luggage.:)

http://uk.megabus.com/luggage-allowance.aspx

John Bull :)

this, coming from an American with a fondness for, and a lot of experience with public transit:

I don't find National Rail confusing at all, just complicated. So my rule of thumb is to talk to a ticket agent, give her or him my travel goal, and they will point you to the cheapest fair for your route and time.

In 2005 my mother and I got a bus from Victoria coach Station to Southampton. I found a 2 pound fair fare, and Mum got the pensioner ticket, which was quite cheap. I booked it all from Melbourne well before we left home. It was a very pretty ride and we then shared a taxi from the bus station to the ship with another woman who had paid a lot of money for the ship transfer, but was still on the same bus as us!!

........it was a very pretty ride and we then shared a taxi from the bus station to the ship with another woman who had paid a lot of money for the ship transfer, but was still on the same bus as us!!

That shouldn't have happened!!:eek:

One reason some folk accept that they're paying a lot more is the convenience/security of a chartered bus taking them right to the ship.

Though I've been cyber-chatting to a UK passenger from Liverpool area (about 4 hours from the ship by road) who booked a transfer-included cruise with MSC, and has been allocated seats on a Nat Express bus departing his area at midnight, change coaches at Victoria, arrive at Southampton 08.40 next morning :eek:

Cruiselines do make a fat profit out of transfers, the least they can do is provide a good service - which, to be fair, most do :)

JB

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all the great information in this thread. I just booked my train reservation for London to Southampton for 1 pound each! What a deal!

In reading their "Lugagge Policy" it says that "Passengers can only bring one reasonable sized suitcase per booked seat". They say any further lugagge will be carried at their discretion. Each of the two us is planning to bring one regular 26" suitcase and I'm also bringing a carry-on. Can anybody comment if they enforce this limit? Am I better off reserving an extra seat for the extra suitcase? I rather pay an extra pound and not run the risk of having a problem. Thank you in advance for any comments.

What about taking a private car from London to Sohampton? I've been quoted about 232 pounds.. roundtrip for 4 people?? Will the trip by car take a longer time? and is the convenience, worth the extra cost?

thank you..

Thanks to all the great information in this thread. I just booked my train reservation for London to Southampton for 1 pound each! What a deal!

In reading their "Lugagge Policy" it says that "Passengers can only bring one reasonable sized suitcase per booked seat". They say any further lugagge will be carried at their discretion. Each of the two us is planning to bring one regular 26" suitcase and I'm also bringing a carry-on. Can anybody comment if they enforce this limit? Am I better off reserving an extra seat for the extra suitcase? I rather pay an extra pound and not run the risk of having a problem. Thank you in advance for any comments.

As per my earlier reponse on this thread to Ann, the limit on megatrain is two cases (no weight limit) per person. The single-case limit you've been reading, on the same website, is for megabus

JB :)

What about taking a private car from London to Sohampton? I've been quoted about 232 pounds.. roundtrip for 4 people?? Will the trip by car take a longer time? and is the convenience, worth the extra cost?

thank you..

The round-trip is central London to Southampton, then back to central London on a later date, right?

The private transfer price you've been quoted for 4 with luggage is competetive.

You don't quote the London address/es, or day of the week. These will affect your journey times and costs. Door-to-quay times are likely to be very similar, but by car is more susceptible to delays

Compared to megatrain, even allowing for two taxis (4 pax plus luggage) from rail station to ship, the car will cost about £45 to £50 more per person. Bear in mind that megatrain tickets are available for only approx one train every two hours and not at all on sundays, but only you can decide whether the extra cost of a car is worthwhile. Like the private transfer, megatrain has to be pre-booked. And it's not amendable.

Compared to regular train return tickets (choice of 2-3 trains per hour), the car would cost only about £15 more - and that's probably worthwhile.

As per my earlier reponse on this thread to Ann, the limit on megatrain is two cases (no weight limit) per person. The single-case limit you've been reading, on the same website, is for megabus

Hi John, I apologize, for some reason I missed your earlier post! Thanks for posting again.

Thank you JB for your response... sorry I was not very detailed..

We are traveling from London(Russell SR. area) to Sohampton on a Thursday at approx. noon time since we have to check in by 3pm..

The return from Sohampton will be on a Friday about 10 am since our ship is scheduled to arrive at 8 am.. and we will be going to London(Mayfair area).

Price quoted is 232 pounds for 4 people with 4 suitcases.

I realize the private car is more convenient but I'm just wondering how much longer the ride is in a private car would be??

Train prices for the 4 of us amount to 152 pounds plus the cost of taxis..

Megatrain prices are not much cheaper than regular price since my dates are fast approaching..

Thanks again..

Thank you JB for your response... sorry I was not very detailed..

We are traveling from London(Russell SR. area) to Sohampton on a Thursday at approx. noon time since we have to check in by 3pm..

The return from Sohampton will be on a Friday about 10 am since our ship is scheduled to arrive at 8 am.. and we will be going to London(Mayfair area).

Price quoted is 232 pounds for 4 people with 4 suitcases.

I realize the private car is more convenient but I'm just wondering how much longer the ride is in a private car would be??

Train prices for the 4 of us amount to 152 pounds plus the cost of taxis..

Megatrain prices are not much cheaper than regular price since my dates are fast approaching..

Thanks again..

The train station to station will be faster, but given you need to get to the stations and transfer from S'oton Central to the (make sure you know which) cruise terminal; it's probably pretty close. The train is a more pleasant ride in my mind

The train station to station will be faster, but given you need to get to the stations and transfer from S'oton Central to the (make sure you know which) cruise terminal; it's probably pretty close. The train is a more pleasant ride in my mind

I concur.

These aren't "problem" times of day.

If you split your party in two, I wouldn't put money on which would get to or from the ship first.

Shame about megatrain. But broadens your choice of trains. Your figures make sense & tie in with my £15 pp premium for a car. Because Russell Sq to Waterloo doesn't have a direct tube (metro), transport would reduce that £15 pp premium.

So its six of one & half-a-dozen of the other.

Which nicely gets me off the hook :D

Archived