Glory to sail 4/5 day cruises from Boston

...But when you factor in some last minute airfare prices, parking prices -vs- taking a local transport for me it was cheaper. The Canada cruises were always a fall back option I tooked to when booking last minute and simply wanted to enjoy a ship rather than a port.

Plus a ship cruising to CANADA from (closer) BOSTON as opposed to NY hopefully will be priced similar to what the BAHAMA cruises like Imagination offer to FL residents.

actually, it was always cheaper to fly to florida and sail, but i no longer fly, and love the two "extra" days of not having to travel.

so, i'm between a rock and the pallisades.....

We line only an hour from Boston and 2 hours from Portland Maine but are very excited about this. Driving to Nova Scotia would be 17 hours. When the CAT was running from Bar Harbor you only had a few hours to spend. We are going to the Caribbean in January and cruised the whole Pacific coast last year. Most Canada/New England cruises are very expensive. I looked at the prices and think they are reasonable. Some ask why would someone want to cruise somewhere they can drive to, it is because New England is beautiful. Plus I disagree that airfare to Florida is cheaper, right now to go to Fort Lauderdale, it is $700 for two.

I like this news! I would much rather cruise out of Boston over NYC...both are a 5hr drive for us....but Boston's parking is less than half of NYC...

We are taking our first cruise to Canada next week aboard the Glory from NYC....as someone stated previously...it's a cheap get-a-way vacation..(this is also our first Carnival cruise)

Being from the Northeast, southern itineraries appeal to me more (Bermuda!)...but I do enjoy checking out new places/ships too... I've done the NCL Boston to Bermuda 2x (love it!)....This fall we are trying CCL NYC to Bermuda because we got a much better deal on the cabin...

It would be nice to have more options out of Boston...(ie: Bermuda/Caribbean)

And to the poster that said they wouldn't normally consider NCL.....be like Mikey...'Try it, you'll like it!'

Airfare isn't necessarily cheap anymore. My brother lives in the Miami area and I was looking at airfare to take our daughter to visit him later this year - the cheapest round trip flight from BDL to FLL or MIA was still $300+ per person. If I break down the per-night cost for a cruise out of Florida and add in airfare, it's still cheaper for us to drive to New York, park at the cruise terminal, and cruise from there.

Also, flying is stressful and unpleasant. I'll gladly pay the same or a little more for our cruise fare in order to avoid running the gauntlet of the groping TSA morons and the airlines' surly and unhelpful staff.

I would welcome an expanded number of options out of local ports - we'd really like to go to the Caribbean or the Bahamas.

...meh.....

Why would I want to cruise to a port I can drive to in 8 hours?

Love the idea of cruising out of Boston, REALLY I do..but I'm sure parking prices will rival Logan's daily rate ( Thanks Massport!)...

but I personally feel that Caribbean/Bermuda itineraries would be much more attractive and competitive than Portland Maine and St. John, NB... Isn't it Norwegian doing Bermuda out of the Black Falcon ( beautiful terminal, btw)

Have sailed out of Black Falcon Pier twice -- 2008 and 2009 - Prices then were $15.00 a day - (IMO very reasonable) and the garage is right around the corner,

Norwegian does do a 7 day to Bermuda from late April until fall - Royal Caribbean also does 7 day Canada/New England from beginning of Sept until the end of October.

I cannot wait to try Carnival - I am booking my 4 day cruise for June 2012 on Monday - Yeah!!!!

As someone who grew up in Boston and now lives on the West Coast, I would love for Carnival to do more southern itineraries (Carribean, Bermuda, etc). My whole family lives back home and if I'm going to pay $300+ for airfare, at least I can get more bang for my buck by spending a few days with family and friends before I head out on the cruise. (Plus I wouldn't have to spend $$ on hotel and car rental - added bonus!) :D

Any cruise out of a local port (Boston in this case) is better than flying to the ship. Most savy cruisers will fly in the day before because missing the ship when the airline delayed you is a non-starter. So add the airfare, hotel, airport parking, etc. and you can go on two cruises instead of just one - or better yet upgrade to a suite.

We have taken the CCL Destiny on a 5-day out of NYC over the Canada route a couple years ago in August. It was quite nice and a reasonable get-away with the kids. These 4 and 5 day runs out of Boston will make it that much easier to get-away for a quick trip with family or friends when you factor out the 5 hour drive to NYC for the same thing.

Both St Johns and Halifax are decent ports - actually as good as or better than Tortola BVI and/or Progresso MX. Different but decent!

Of course I'm still waiting for one of the lines to do from Boston what NCL does in Jan-Feb out of NYC - 10 day runs to the caribbean. RCI has a repositioning cruise after the fall series in Boston that goes to the caribbean and ends in Tampa so it's a start!

I just stumbled upon these sailings and have found that they are only listed on the CCL site so far. I also like the new CCL web cabin selection process and since these are new sailings the selection of cabins is quite good. You can actually select the uncommon cabins like the aft-corner units. CCL also has decent discounts for early bookings on these sailings so book early - you won't regret it if you are in the Boston area.

• 3 months later...
I live in the Boston area and I'd consider this cruise. It seems Carnival is the only mass market line offering Canadian cruises in the summer. I don't want to go to Canada in October when it's 40 degrees there.

I agree with you! Canada is really nice in the summer. Living in New England (south of Boston)' date=' I can easily leaf-peep anytime - even on my way to work! DH and I have done the Boston to Bermuda cruise on [i']NCL[/i] several times - and loved it - but it's time for a change. (We are also limited to school vacation times since I am a teacher.) Sailing out of Boston in the summer is always easy and stress-free, and because we are not paying to fly anywhere we can splurge a little more on our cruise. We are now considering a Carnival cruise out of Boston in June of 2012. (I wish there more cruises out of Boston, especially in the summer!)

Archived