Cruising alone at 30?

MrsP1981

I'll give my experiences in about 30 days, going to cruise for the first time ever, and solo at that! I'm 31 myself.

Have a great trip.

I'm also thinking about going it solo.

I look forward to reading yr stories on your return.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be taking my first solo cruise next month and I am so excited, I went with my bff 2 yrs ago but she couldnt go on this one so I am going alone. I love meeting new people and I am looking forward to the new adventure. Something tells me this wont be my first solo cruise, enjoy.

My experience's, if they help

I'm a mid 20's bloke and have cruised when I was 23, 24 and 25 solo. Didn't go last year and will be going again this year at 27. All these cruises have been solo, on Carnival from Miami, so obviously a young enough demographic.

I'm going again on my own on a TA this year with RCI and can't wait.

All my experiences have been fantastic and I would recommend this to anyone.

Hope you have a great time

• 2 weeks later...

I did a family cruise and enjoyed cruising so much I did a solo cruise as a vacation from being a wife and mother. I was nervous about going...but, I had the BEST vacation ever. I was 40 at the time and did anytime dining and sat with different people every night and really enjoyed that.

I also ate breakfast and lunch in the MDR with different people, so I met a lot of great folks. The only thing that I did not do was get off the ship. I was too scared of something happening in a foreign port. The plus side of that is I had a huge ship mostly to myself. I would do it again in a HEARTBEAT, but my DH is not happy about me wanting to go off again by myself for a week. I hope you have a wonderful time and let us all know how it went for you.

I'm so glad you decided to book one! Only 9 sleeps! Have a great time!!!!

I did my first solo cruise last year at 37. This year, I'm doing another at 38/39 (my birthday will be while onboard!). Both my solo cruises have been with RCCL.

My previous cruises to that were with Celebrity and NCL. Those were with friends, but it gets tiresome to have to look for MONTHS to find someone to go with, then all the hassle of trying to agree on when and where, etc. I LOVED Celebrity, and it is still my favourite, but for my solo cruises, I've found better prices and/or itineraries with RCCL.

I have no desire to do NCL alone (though a couple of people have mentioned the solo cabins on the Epic... I thought I might try that sometime, but I just don't like the dining on NCL).

Did you end up with "My Time" dining? As a solo, I like to do the opposite, traditional dining, simply because that means I will get to know someone really well and I'll be able to see them each night and be assured of having someone to chat with every day.

There are a couple of cruises that I really want to do (back to Northern Europe and the Panama Canal) that I will have to find a friend to go with me again, because they are too pricey to go alone, sadly.

It took me a couple of days last year to get used to the empty cabin (no one to talk to in my room), but once I was used to it, it was really nice to have the entire space to myself!

Once again, have a great time!!!

Only 9 more sleeps!! I am getting very excited now, thank you all for your good wishes.

I will let you know how I got on! :)

You'll have a blast. My solo cruise was one of my best. You get to come and go as you please and in the end the only one you have to please is yourself too. It's awesome. You get to meet so many nice people too.

Only 9 more sleeps!! I am getting very excited now, thank you all for your good wishes.

I will let you know how I got on! :)

Laura, I've been trying to catch you! Here is a link to my post to you from one of your other threads! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29905754&postcount=23

You can also e-mail me directly at bonniethomas2@comcast "dot" net

Laura, I've been trying to catch you! Here is a link to my post to you from one of your other threads! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29905754&postcount=23

You can also e-mail me directly at bonniethomas2@comcast "dot" net

Hi Bonnie - i've replied to your post on the above thread, sorry for the delay! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Laura,

Please, please post your experience following your trip -

I find myself in almost the same position as you - recently seperated after 15 years of marriage - cruised as a couple many times P&O, Cunard, RCCL and really enjoyed it.

I thought why should I give up cruising just because I am now a "solo" so I have gone ahead and booked NCL Epic for my 50th birthday next October:eek:. (by the way I am still 18 in my head!).

I did lots of research before I decided on the Epic mainly because of the "solo studios". Never cruised NCL but there are many fans on CC - I am so excited even though its so far away.

Hope you are having a fab time in this new period of your life ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say you are all an inspiration to me.

I'm 34 and have been on almost a dozen cruises with my family, only 1 with a significant other. I've been single for 2 years and now find myself cruising for the 3rd time with just my parents. I always get my own cabin, so I'm very used to that, but my evenings are pretty boring and lonesome. I'm an introvert, I don't dance, don't drink much, and have no idea how to just start chatting with someone. I have never noticed solo cruisers in my demographic other than older men/women. I will now look for all of you and try to get to know you. Maybe someday I'll have the strength to go it 100% alone.

[quote name='saddixie'][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Laura
Can't work out when you are back -28th July you said 9 sleeps to go did that mean you cruise on the 7th August and will be back on the 11th?.

Hope so - really interested in your experience[/COLOR] :)[/quote]

Hello, I hate to butt in here and answer FOR Laura. However, I had the pleasure of meeting up with Laura on several occasions during our recent Baltic cruise and I can tell you that she was having a terrific time! She dined in the Windjammer with my mother-in-law and myself the first evening, and met up with us for drinks nearly every evening. But, after that first dinner, she dined the remaining nights, in the main dining room at her assigned table during the late seating. She met and enjoyed some wonderful people. Every time I bumped into her, she was on her way to meet up with other new folks she had come to know on the cruise. So, you can rest easy that Laura had a very successful first solo cruise! :D

Thanks Bonnie! I did have a wonderful, fab time :D. I posted this when I got back in case anyone missed it:

[URL]http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30249592[/URL]#

Hope the link works, I've not posted a link to another thread before.....

• 10 months later...
I'd just like to thank you all so much for your comments on this thread. I have the opportunity to go on my first cruise later on this year, at the tender age of 31, & there's a high likelihood that I will be going alone. I was actually having some serious second thoughts & beginning to consider other holiday options, but I found this comment thread through a Google search & now feel so much better. I'm actually slightly excited about the prospect now. Thanks. :)

[quote name='LustStarrr']I'd just like to thank you all so much for your comments on this thread. I have the opportunity to go on my first cruise later on this year, at the tender age of 31, & there's a high likelihood that I will be going alone. I was actually having some serious second thoughts & beginning to consider other holiday options, but I found this comment thread through a Google search & now feel so much better. I'm actually slightly excited about the prospect now. Thanks. :)[/QUOTE]

You'll love it! And I've only done one solo so far. Please come back and let us know what you decide and then how the cruise you chose went.

I cruised solo, and I'm 29. It was the best vacation I ever had so far. On one hand, it felt like I had the entire Imagination all to myself to enjoy. I could do whatever I wanted, go wherever I wanted, whenever I wanted, and not have to compromise with anyone. On the other hand, everybody I met were very friendly and open to meeting new people. I found myself getting along equally well with the 20-something party crowd and the more serious older crowd. Did a lot of dancing in port bars, at deck parties, and in ship's clubs. I had assigned dining, so my table functioned as a "home port" for comparing notes and sharing experiences (with my cabin being the "dry dock"). The sea was choppy at times, but I found the rocking very relaxing. The only downside was the debarkation vertigo I had for a few days after the cruise.

So now, while I don't exclude the possibility of cruising with friends next time, I'll go solo if I don't find anyone to go with. That was the reason why I went solo the first time, and I have no regrets.

I have immensely enjoyed my 2 solo cruises and I'm looking forward to doing it again next year. They were both such relaxing trips and although I had my lonely moments, the people I met and experiences I had certainly made up for it. Plus, I got the bed to myself!!

Hi there

Been on several cruises on my own however met so many lovely people that you never are lonely -

one tip - great friendly with entertainment staff and they invite you to everything, attend solo drinks do's, dance classes and mingle with onboard mangers for meals with them

Booked another Christmas cruise with Azamara from Madras 12th Dec - however meeting friend met on previous one

Husband works all over world and I am a cruise addict so works for us

Please do mail if like to chat

Amanda

Archived