Smoking/Statendam/Aft Lido Deck?

martinimadam

Maasdam did not get the Retreat because they weren't ready for her when she was scheduled for her dry dock. She was to have been the first ship to get it but they delayed Maasdam's dry dock and Veendam and Rotterdam were the only two that was modified in that way. After those two ships, that redesign was cancelled for the other ships.

As I said,

There is no bar at aft pool on Maasdam. I described the pass through window which you have pictured.

Unless a bar was added at dry dock, Maasdam has NO BAR at her Navigation Pool. Drinks are prepared in that little room and passed through for service. There are no bar stools.

I take it from you answering that you are ok and not affected by the tornadoes or severe weather there *THANK GOD!!!* I was worried:)

If it serves booze, IMO, it is a bar. Whether or not it is a real bar with whatever type of tops for placing drinks and elbows on and/or barstools, or just a window from which booze is served out of, it is a bar:)

Edited to add: According to my hubby if it serves mixed drinks it is a bar. He also said it is like calling a Male Dog Sue, it is still a Boy dog no matter the name it is called. A Bar is merely a name:) A Bar is just a location in the minds of many that serves mixed drinks and/or other booze/alcohol.

And to CtheW0rld, yes those are ashtrays. Click on the photo to see the photo full sized:)

Joanie

thanks for the maasdam photo. mine are all on paper and i'm too lazy to scan them. is that an ashtray on the table? when you took the photo you were facing forward, so that would be the starboard side.

That is not an ashtray you see in the photo. It looks more like a container of artificial sweeteners........ sweet 'n low, equal and splenda. Most of HAL's outdoor (wind) ashtrays are black.

Thanks for your concern about our safety, Joanie.

We have been experiencing wild weather tonight and the entire state is under a State of Emergency. Tornadoes and extreme thunder storms are not unheard of here but not nearly as common as other parts of the country.

When the sun comes up tomorrow, I think we are going to find a lot of damage. There are already reports of some deaths. What is so unusual is the very large area and number of tornados that are hitting this area, one after the other.

I am very happy Maasdam is no where near here right now. I'd be worried about her. :o

A huge thunderstorm just passed right over our area and it was frightening.

That is not an ashtray you see in the photo. It looks more like a container of artificial sweeteners........ sweet 'n low, equal and splenda. Most of HAL's outdoor (wind) ashtrays are black.

if you click on the picture (per joaine's suggestion) you can see both ashtray and sugar thingy.

I only see sweetener dish not that it means diddly. What's the big deal if there is an ashtray? Even if we did know how old the photo, we know people smoke at aft pool so what would be remarkable if there was an ashtray? And who is to say who put it there? A steward? A guest? What's the difference? :confused:

I only see sweetener dish not that it means diddly. What's the big deal if there is an ashtray? Even if we did know how old the photo, we know people smoke at aft pool so what would be remarkable if there was an ashtray? And who is to say who put it there? A steward? A guest? What's the difference? :confused:

i, for one, value accuracy. just like your comment stating there wasn't a bar back there, when clearly there is (even though it had nothing to do with the statendam). you should practice not getting offended when you're wrong. think of it as a learning experience.

There isn't a bar back there. There is a very small room in which no guests are ever permitted. A bartender makes drinks and he passes it through the window which can be opened or closed.

That is nothing resembling a 'cruise ship bar'. It is a work station and barely holds two people. Had you ever seen it, you would know and could be more accurate in your assertions.

That is not a bar.

i, for one, value accuracy. just like your comment stating there wasn't a bar back there, when clearly there is (even though it had nothing to do with the statendam). you should practice not getting offended when you're wrong. think of it as a learning experience.

Same goes for you! :mad:

thanks, richwin. i don't have the software to do that.

There isn't a bar back there. There is a very small room in which no guests are ever permitted. A bartender makes drinks and he passes it through the window which can be opened or closed.

That is nothing resembling a 'cruise ship bar'. It is a work station and barely holds two people. Had you ever seen it, you would know and could be more accurate in your assertions.

That is not a bar.

Perhaps you should have another look! :rolleyes: Like Sails7Seas, I don't see a (black) ashtray either! ;)

Same goes for you! :mad:

ready to admit your were wrong now? are you so offended by the sight of an ashtray?

What a fun group this is!

Last September, when I was on the Ryndam (which is a sister-ship of the Statendam and configured the same, as is the Maasdam, hence it's use in this discussion [whew! that was a long sentence and not even ended yet:o]), I distinctly remember a sign posted at the entrance to the aft pool area that said "Designated non-smoking area". Now this might have been because we were embarking in Vancouver, and they have very strict smoking restrictions.

Sounds like my chances of finding a smoking area this next trip may be a little better.

And thank you all for responding to my question.

What a fun group this is!

Last September, when I was on the Ryndam (which is a sister-ship of the Statendam and configured the same, as is the Maasdam, hence it's use in this discussion [whew! that was a long sentence and not even ended yet:o]), I distinctly remember a sign posted at the entrance to the aft pool area that said "Designated non-smoking area". Now this might have been because we were embarking in Vancouver, and they have very strict smoking restrictions.

Sounds like my chances of finding a smoking area this next trip may be a little better.

And thank you all for responding to my question.

MartiniMadam I was on the same cruise as you. That sign was only up for embarkation day -- it was one printed on a computer printer and taped to some sort of stand :)

I think but am not certain it was because the ship was being refuelled in Vancouver. Certainly by the next day the ashtrays were out in the regular area by the bar that serves the pool area (starboard).

Of course, in Tracy Arm Fjord, all outdoor areas were non-smoking because of environmental requirements. So if you checked on those 2 days, it would certainly seem they'd turned that area into non-smoking, but that really wasn't the case :)

edited to add: BTW, wasn't that just the most phenomenal Alaska cruise? :D

its always the smokers fault. even when the non-smokers are in the smoking section.

Gosh, this was almost a civilized smoking thread. It was a request for information, not opinion.

On a personal note, I own you an apology CtheW0rld. I see now that your comment was tongue in cheek - and I took it the wrong way. I do apologize.

Of course, in Tracy Arm Fjord, all outdoor areas were non-smoking because of environmental requirements.

Balconies are outdoor areas and those are not deemed "non-smoking" in Tracy Arm. So I guess those folks smoking on their balconies while cruising through the fjord were breaking an "environmental requirement?" Doesn't make sense that these "environmental requirements" you refer to would only apply if you were smoking on a public deck. :confused:

Balconies are outdoor areas and those are not deemed "non-smoking" in Tracy Arm. So I guess those folks smoking on their balconies while cruising through the fjord were breaking an "environmental requirement?" Doesn't make sense that these "environmental requirements" you refer to would only apply if you were smoking on a public deck. :confused:

(bolding mine)

I guess you need to take that up with the cruise line, or whoever monitors this stuff in Alaska. Or maybe the captain just wanted to inconvenience the smokers who couldn't afford balconies. Just relating what I was told while on the cruise that the OP was referencing.

ashtray.jpg

Richwmn-

Thanks for making clear that there is indeed an ashtray on that table. It was hard to understand how anyone could post it wasn't there as clearly it is HAL's standard windproof outdoor ashtray that you see where smoking is allowed.

Also, the bar may not be the standard cruiseship lounge, but it certainly meets the definition of a bar- a place where you can purchase alcohol.

CowPrincess, thanks for clearing that up. Thought I was losing it for a minute. :D

During the Tracy Fjord cruise, they also didn't allow smoking in the Crow's Nest, so, I think it was a little more than just environmental concerns. I actually thought that was Okay, since it was a bit chilly and the scenery was terrific. Just wish they'd had something in the daily news thingy about it, since a number of my dinner companions didn't know the Crow's Nest had been made non-smoking for that part of the cruise and didn't make use of it!

Does anyone know if the same thing will happen during the full transit of the Panama Canal, i.e., that the Crow's Nest will be designated non-smoking for that part of the cruise?

Did you happen to see this photo which was posted originally? At Post #20 in this thread? It's a grossly different image when enlarged many times over. :rolleyes: Perhaps you only skimmed this thread and jumped in at the end and did not see the original photo about which I was commenting. I'm happy to bring it forward.

I repeat what I posted at Post #31 in this thread.

I only see sweetener dish not that it means diddly. What's the big deal if there is an ashtray? Even if we did know how old the photo, we know people smoke at aft pool so what would be remarkable if there was an ashtray? And who is to say who put it there? A steward? A guest? What's the difference?

sm-Lido-Seaview-Pool-02-13-2011-7.jpg

Quite a different photo, wouldn't you say? Maybe you can think it obvious what is behind that bowl at the far table and if so, I applaud your eyesight. Most of us cannot discern what it is without huge blowup of the photo.

And, as I have previously said, what is the difference? People smoke in that area all the time. Whether they carried the ashtray there themselves or a steward placed it there or whatever. The fact is people smoke pretty much where they want to at that aft pool.

Did you happen to see this photo which was posted originally? At Post #20 in this thread? It's a grossly different image when enlarged many times over. :rolleyes: Perhaps you only skimmed this thread and jumped in at the end and did not see the original photo about which I was commenting. I'm happy to bring it forward.

I repeat what I posted at Post #31 in this thread.

sm-Lido-Seaview-Pool-02-13-2011-7.jpg

Quite a different photo, wouldn't you say? Maybe you can think it obvious what is behind that bowl at the far table and if so, I applaud your eyesight. Most of us cannot discern what it is without huge blowup of the photo.

And, as I have previously said, what is the difference? People smoke in that area all the time. Whether they carried the ashtray there themselves or a steward placed it there or whatever. The fact is people smoke pretty much where they want to at that aft pool.

Sail -- I do hate to differ with you, but this is the picture from post 20. If you will click on the picture in post 20, as suggested by CTheW0rld in post 31, you will get the enlarged picture. This is what I put the captions on and reposted as a large image.

You can also click on the image in this post, or yours previously

Rich

Sail, just for you, I am posting the original picture/[hoto that I received back in February 2011, below. As can be plainly seen that is one of the HAL provided Black (or blue, hard for me with being color blind to tell) ash trays behind the GLASS ASHTRAY which is being used as sugar holders on the 2 tables. BTW, those Glass Ashtrays (sugar holders, as you called them) are the ones provided in the Staterooms for those of us who want them for their obvious usage:)

Lido-Seaview-Pool-02-13-2011-7.jpg

Joanie

I've read through the thread & want to confirm my understanding on where my hubby can smoke outside .... on the Veendam.

Starboard side only: Retreat area (aft), Lower Promenade deck, and Lido Deck. He would not smoke in a non smoking area & wants to be sure on the correct areas.

Thank you. :)

I've read through the thread & want to confirm my understanding on where my hubby can smoke outside .... on the Veendam.

Starboard side only: Retreat area (aft), Lower Promenade deck, and Lido Deck. He would not smoke in a non smoking area & wants to be sure on the correct areas.

Thank you. :)

correct. when in doubt, ask.

When we were on the Veendam around South America in December, smoking was allowed in a small corner, port side, of the Crow's Nest. It was really nice to have one warm area to smoke outside of our cabin. Met some really nice people.

Archived