Smoking/Statendam/Aft Lido Deck?

martinimadam

I know there is no smoking on the Sea View bar/pool area on Statendam. Is smoking allowed on the aft Lido deck, which appears, on the deck plans, to be an open area, above the Sea View pool? The last time I was on the Ryndam, a sister ship of the Statendam, I seem to remember that area as being posted as non-smoking, but, after reading the smoking policy on the HAL board, I'm now confused. Tried a search but couldn't find a specific answer.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

No flames, please.

Many use that as a dining area and bring their meal from Lido to enjoy outside. It also provides more seating when Lido is very busy.

However, we saw a few smokers carry ashtrays from the pool up to that area and proceed to smoke despite people having either their breakfast or lunch sitting there. :unhappy:

Many use that as a dining area and bring their meal from Lido to enjoy outside. It also provides more seating when Lido is very busy.

However, we saw a few smokers carry ashtrays from the pool up to that area and proceed to smoke despite people having either their breakfast or lunch sitting there. :unhappy:

I'm surprised by that, and it's a real failure by staff. Last time I was aboard as a smoker (on an S class ship) someone had left an ashtray at one of the wrong tables. I sat down, lit up, and was immediately informed by a steward that I'd need to move. While I was horrified to realize I'd done that, I was impressed by the quick enforcement of the smoking policy. Good job, HAL!

I'm surprised by that, and it's a real failure by staff. Last time I was aboard as a smoker (on an S class ship) someone had left an ashtray at one of the wrong tables. I sat down, lit up, and was immediately informed by a steward that I'd need to move. While I was horrified to realize I'd done that, I was impressed by the quick enforcement of the smoking policy. Good job, HAL!

It is not always the smokers' fault that they end up smoking in the non-smoking section. MANY times when there was a smoking section partially on one side of the Lido pool I would see non-smokers sit down at a smoking table and move the ash tray to table in the nearby non-smoking section. Smoker sees ashtray, sits down thinking it is smoking section and lights up. So who's at fault? Not always easy to know. If one side was smoking and enforced by HAL there would be a lot fewer problems.

It is not always the smokers' fault that they end up smoking in the non-smoking section. MANY times when there was a smoking section partially on one side of the Lido pool I would see non-smokers sit down at a smoking table and move the ash tray to table in the nearby non-smoking section. Smoker sees ashtray, sits down thinking it is smoking section and lights up. So who's at fault? Not always easy to know. If one side was smoking and enforced by HAL there would be a lot fewer problems.

its always the smokers fault. even when the non-smokers are in the smoking section.

Thanks for your replies.

The HAL smoking policy says that smoking is allowed at the "Seaview Bar (except ms Maasdam, ms Ryndam & ms Statendam)". I assumed this included the entire aft pool area. Am I wrong? Sounds like it, just want to confirm.

Soooo, getting back to the original question...apparently the Maasdam, Ryndam, and Statendam have different rules for smoking outside. I'd just like to know if I'm allowed to go on deck 10 aft and smoke.

yes, there will be an area for smokers there. if in doubt exactly where, ask at the bar.

Does Statendam have a bar at aft pool, navigation deck?

Unless Maasdam got one at her recent dry dock, there is no bar at Maasdam's aft pool. There is a pass through window and bartenders/stewards prepare drinks in a small room and pass the beverages through that window to either guests who have walked up to request them or to stewards who will deliver them to the guest.

Maasdam did not have a bar at Aft Pool going into her recent dry dock. I don't think she came out of dry dock with one. Last we sailed Statendam, my memory is she had the same arrangement but she, also, may have changed at a dry dock.

Maasdam did not have a bar at Aft Pool going into her recent dry dock. I don't think she came out of dry dock with one. Last we sailed Statendam, my memory is she had the same arrangement but she, also, may have changed at a dry dock.

unless it was removed, there was a small one, maybe just 5 - 6 barstools last time i was onboard. it has been a few years though. or was the on deck 11? wish i had digital photos from those trips.

unless it was removed, there was a small one, maybe just 5 - 6 barstools last time i was onboard. it has been a few years though. or was the on deck 11? wish i had digital photos from those trips.

ok, i found this shot of the statendam aft pool area (not my photo). the bar i am thinking of is on deck 11 (above the doors, behind the pool)

2148726520056174329S500x500Q85.jpg

Maasdam Sea View Bar and Smoking Section photo from February 2011. As you head out of the Lido Restaurant to the Aft section the Sea View Bar and smoking section will be on your left hand side (photo below. At least that is what I see, though iot may be on the other side (Hard to tell from the photo below). Can someone clarify which side (Right or Left) it is??

sm-Lido-Seaview-Pool-02-13-2011-7.jpg

Joanie

Maasdam Sea View Bar and Smoking Section photo from February 2011. As you head out of the Lido Restaurant to the Aft section the Se View Bar and smoking section will be on your left hand side (photo below. At least that is what I see, though iot may be on the other side (Hard to tell from the photo below). Can someone clarify which side (Right or Left) it is??

Joanie

thanks for the maasdam photo. mine are all on paper and i'm too lazy to scan them. is that an ashtray on the table? when you took the photo you were facing forward, so that would be the starboard side.

Maasdam Sea View Bar and Smoking Section photo from February 2011. As you head out of the Lido Restaurant to the Aft section the Sea View Bar and smoking section will be on your left hand side (photo below. At least that is what I see, though iot may be on the other side (Hard to tell from the photo below). Can someone clarify which side (Right or Left) it is??

Joanie

As I said,

There is no bar at aft pool on Maasdam. I described the pass through window which you have pictured.

Unless a bar was added at dry dock, Maasdam has NO BAR at her Navigation Pool. Drinks are prepared in that little room and passed through for service. There are no bar stools.

looks like they were planning one, if they would've went through with the poolette concept (rendering below), but since the OP is asking about the statendam, it is a moot point. not sure how we got on the topic of the maasdam.

The_Retreat__Re-0066_29752.jpg

Archived