alternative to soda card?

Greengirl

We're taking our four kids (15,13,10,5) on the Pride in August. I was wondering what the "free" beverages on the ship are? Milk, juice, iced tea? I don't remember because it just wasn't an issue with just my husband and myself, but with the kids - it's getting expensive. I don't feel comfortable with packing my own sodas or "sharing" a soda card. Can somebody help me out here?

Thank You!!

We just got off the Ecstasy and milk, chocolate milk, tea, juice were free in the dinding room. Up on the Lido there was fruit punch, lemonade and apple juice,and orange juice. I cant remember if there was anything else but I know this with all that my kids did not even miss not having a soda.

We were debating about getting the soda card for our 3 kids, but decided against it. My kids rarely drink soda during the week, so they can drink the free lemonade/fruit punch during the day, and kids under 12 get FREE soda in the dining room at night. It's on the Carnival web site. I've already printed the page out and plan to bring it with me, just in case my server is unaware of that provision.

100.00 for a soda card for 3 kids--- that was a bit much more then I was willing to spend. I guess if my kids wanted soda they could stay home and drink it-- or be happy that we are on vacation. We did carry it on- Each cruislines allows soda and water to be carried onboard.

There is enough free stuff to drink. (If they dont like the tea--tell them to imporvise and mix half tea half lemondade.)

When in the camps they will not be able to use the cards. Lots of time spent in ports during the week- and the last day dont ocunt--even though you have to pay for it. Bars are cash only.

this got me to thinking...

Let's just say that a six-pack of premium soda (Coke or Sprite) runs about $3.00 when not on sale. That's .50 a can. 60 cans x .50 = $30.00

60 cans?? That's a little over 8 cans a day!! For each of my kids?!? (Although, they would LOVE that!!!) No way is the card worth it to us!

The lemonade is fine and we have bought one of the bottles of Sprite, left in the room, and added it to the fruit punch to jazz it up a bit. One bottle of Sprite goes a long, long way when you do that....ice, fill glass 3/4 way with punch top it off with sprite and a slice of lemon...voila...a quick stir...they'll love it!:)

Re-evaluating the soda card (thanks for this thread!) I have 3 teenagers and I wasn't happy about paying that kind of money out for soda cards. Wondering if there are drinking fountains, or may the kids get cups of ice water free somewhere on board? We will also carry on soda pop and bottles of water (we could re-use the bottles for water from the ship when we go to the ports, I am thinking?) Maybe I will get some cheap larger thermocups from Walmart to take along...anyway, who knows about water? Thanks!

I don't remember any water fountains. We brought a case of water. I did buy my three teenagers soda cards. I was told when I bought them that blended drinks could be bought with the card. My kids love virgin pina coladas, daquiris etc. Well, the rep was wrong, those drinks are extra. But, my kids did have tons of Shirley Temples with the card. I think it was worth it just so they had the freedom to get what they wanted. I don't deprive myself while on vacation, so I didn't deprive them.

You can get ice water, not bottled, in your room, in the dining rooms or any bar, and at the self-serve fountains on the Lido Deck buffet. On Lido, you can also get juices and iced tea at the self-serve fountains.

I don't consider not having a soda card a deprivation. The fact that we are on a wonderful cruise vacation is a treat in itself. An expensive one at that(family of 6). They don't drink like that at home. It's all about moderation. Trust me - you don't want to see my 13 yo son all jacked up on soda!!

I don't consider not having a soda card a deprivation. The fact that we are on a wonderful cruise vacation is a treat in itself. An expensive one at that(family of 6).

Don't worry about it......I do buy my kids a soda card (2 teen boys), but don't activate their sail and sign account:eek:, and some people think that is deprivation. I also let them pick out a t-shirt from the gift shop. Other than that, they bring their own money (for arcade or other souveniers). And, by the way, there are so many things to keep them busy; only my younger one spent time in the arcade....and spent a whole $5!!! LOL; must have been there for 10 minutes! ;) Your kids won't go thirsty without the soda card and mine won't miss out on anything because they don't have their S&S card activated.

Have fun!

I think cans of soda are only $1.50 ea. 2 cokes a day times 7 days is still only $21 less than the card and they get the whole can. I think this is what I am going to do for my kid. I don't think he needs a 6 pack a day of coke, and no one wants to see him on a 6 pack of coke!:eek:

On our last cruise or girls used the soda cards to get those virgin frozen drinks. Without the card they were like 5.00 a drink. They are not only used for soda. I don't even think they got a soda with the card because at dinner, thier sodas were free.

On our last cruise or girls used the soda cards to get those virgin frozen drinks. Without the card they were like 5.00 a drink. They are not only used for soda. I don't even think they got a soda with the card because at dinner, thier sodas were free.

then you lucked out-- cos those frozen drinks are not included on the card. and like you said== are expensive- 3.95 each. You had wonderful bar waiters.

I have heard a few of you say that you have carried water and soda(pop) on the ship. Do you just put it in your suitcase or a cooler....

Do you have to show what beverages you have in your possession like the wine,water, and pop. I from Michigan and here they call it pop. When I lived in Florida it was coke or soda.

I would like to bring some but being this is my first cruise and not knowing what to expect i don't want to do anything to get in trouble . That wouldn't be good in front of the kids.

We are sailing on the sensation..

Thx for the info. I was planning on buying my 3 kids the Fountain Card, but you've all changed my mind. Just one question, is the Fountain Card good on Foo Foo (alcohol free, of course) drinks for them too? Or is it seperate? I'll just take a twelve pack of soda with me and that will have to do..

Archived