How Quickly Do Grand Suites Fill Up?

We have a reservation on Freedom for November of 2012. It is our 20th Anniversary and I'm thinking of upgrading to a Grand Suite. Due to some financial uncertainty, I'm not able to upgrade just yet. I don't want to just change the reservation to a GS and then downgrade later, because I don't want to lose my D1 Hump balcony that we currently have reserved.

So - my question is, typically (and I know it varies) do Grand Suites fill up?

Also, is the extra $750 pp worth it for the Suite perks? I want this trip to be really special. We're platinum, so we wouldn't have access to the CL otherwise.

It's all based on supply and demand so who knows. I can tell you from our experience that we are booked in a GS this November on Mariner. ALL the suites from GS and up are booked. The deposit for them is larger than other categories. I would imagine a few open up after final payments are due. So if you want to play it by ear, check back to upgrade after final payments.

The GS's sometimes fill fast due to the sail date or the particular cruise, one thing to remember is that if you switch your deposit will go to $1,000 for two people. You might also look into a JS which although no concierge privilage (GS and up) you will have a much larger cabin that a D1, bigger bathroom and walk in closet. The GS will give you the chance to eat Windjammer meals in Portofino's (breakfast & lunch), use of the Concierge lounge all day with Happy Hour in the evening (liquor at no chsrge), special seating in the Theatre and by the Pool, plus if there is any tendering, priority tender. You also receive priority boarding and debarkation, a very large bathroom with twin sinks, and more closet and drawer space than you will probably need. For your Special Anniversary it would be something to remember...Go for it!!:)

On most of my sailings GS's have gone fast. But, we got one on Serenade after final payment when one popped up. I'd book a JS and keep watching for GS's after final payment. Or you can book a GS with only one person on the initial booking so you only have to pay $500 deposit and can add the second person at the intial price later.

It ultimately boils down to when/where you are cruising and ship. Several of the Mariner sailings out of Galveston sold out or went immediately to limited space in the full suite categories once sailings were announced.

Sometimes on the less desired sailing dates go a long time with several full suites open. Even if your cruise has a history of that happening in the past does not mean it will happen that way this year...

Definitely don't wait until you arrive at the port hoping to buy an upgrade, they are very rare these days. Many ships sail full. If you really want to do the upgrade when it is feasible then go for it, or if you are of the thought it would be nice but if it doesn't work out not a big deal,, perhaps wait until a week after final payment and see if several opened up allowing a better selection and possibly better pricing.

Regardless have an awesome anniversary cruise.

The upper tier of cabins sell out quicker than the cheaper ones. Been that was since the early 1970's. One reason those looking for a booking are, more than likely, less "cash" sensitive than many other cruisers. Cabin fits needs, fits budget....booked.

If your situation permits, mark down your final payment date and talk to reservations beginning about a week before that date if you still want to upgrade. Also, call C & A and asked to be put on a waitlist for the Grand Suite if you really want one....

Archived