wierd question about excursions through the cruiseline

Pears13

I've read on here, numerous times, that it's better to book excursions yourself as it's cheaper (going to Bermuda). Anyway, I've been looking at the prices that NCL is charging and at Fantasea's website, which is who, I believe, NCL is using, and the prices are the same. Not only that, but Fantasea charges a $5 admin fee on top of the actual cost, so the NCL prices do come out cheaper.

I'm just wondering if I'm missing something...

Of course, I won't pay $25 for a trip to Horeshoe bay when I can buy a transportation pass for the three days for $28 and get there myself, but for the snorkeling tours, the prices seem to be the same, actually less when you factor in the admin fee. Has anyone else noted that the prices NCL charges are not really more expensive? I guess I'm just lost as to why everyone says you'll pay more if you go through the cruiseline...

Angie

I've seen this sometimes too. When I've researched excursions, I've sometimes found that the NCL prices were very similar. In some cases only about $5 more, in others they were about $10 more and included the transportation where on your own you would have had to get other transportation. However, I've also seen some excursions that had a significant additional charge.

We have an excursion booked through NCL for our upcoming cruise that is $13.00 more p/p than If we had made the reservation through the tour provider. However, if I rebook the reservation directly with the provider, I have to pay in-full, up-front. By booking with NCL, I only have to pay for the excursion after we take it. In the unlikely event that our ship skips that port or we just decide that we want to do something else, I don't have to go through the hassle of getting a refund. For me, that's worth the $26.00 difference... and the fact that the ship won't leave without me if the tour gats back later than the scheduled departure.

We booked a theme park excursion via NCL. If I had to rent a car, car seats, pay for gas and tolls, then the extra day charge to get it back late, a taxi, and deal with all the waiting and transfers, it would cost us more to do it privately. If we had older kids who did not need car seats, cost us to go to the park, or a bigger party it would have come out more in favor of us going privately. I also love the fact that someone else is going to drive us and pick us up!

Last year we booked a private train/trolley ride in Bermuda. Celebrity asked $50. I was able to get the same tour from the same operator for $25 and my kids were free. Celebrity would have charged me for both of my kids.

Sometimes it works in your favor and other times it does not. It pays to be an informed consumer. But the bottom line is that you need to figure out for yourself what is the most cost effective way to do what you want. Part of why the ships offer tours is convenience and sometimes that will cost you.

We book all of our excursions through NCL if we aren’t just walking around in the port city for a couple reasons.

#1 NCL will guarantee me that either I’m not going to miss the ship or they will make sure I meet up with them and I don’t have the stress of being a possible “pier runner”

#2 My shore excursions do not have to be paid until I pay my onboard account at the end of my cruise, therefore guaranteeing that if for some reason we miss that particular port, I know I won’t be charged or lose any deposits I might have had to put down on one booking privately.

#3 I’m dealing with other countries and their consumer laws may not be as encompassing as Canada or the U.S.

#4 Most of NCL’s excursions are complete with transportation to and from the ship so I am not left on my own to find appropriate and fair priced transportation in new surroundings.

#5 Less researching for me, it’s a matter of convenience

#6 Yes when I have researched I have found some higher and some lower, so I figure in the end I’m breaking even.

I’m sure that since NCL would have a markup on their excursions the price would completely depend on what kind of a deal they can strike with the tour companies. If the tour company is charging them the same as the open public then their price would be higher.

Bermuda is a tourist friendly island and one that you don't really need the shore excursions. We did a shore excursion through NCL for an airboat ride when we ported in Cape Canaveral. Actually, it was not that expensive for all that was included and it was a heck of a good time. We really wouldn't have saved money renting a vehicle and journeying out on our own to this excursion. :)

We book all of our excursions through NCL if we aren’t just walking around in the port city for a couple reasons.

#1 NCL will guarantee me that either I’m not going to miss the ship or they will make sure I meet up with them and I don’t have the stress of being a possible “pier runner”

#2 My shore excursions do not have to be paid until I pay my onboard account at the end of my cruise, therefore guaranteeing that if for some reason we miss that particular port, I know I won’t be charged or lose any deposits I might have had to put down on one booking privately.

#3 I’m dealing with other countries and their consumer laws may not be as encompassing as Canada or the U.S.

#4 Most of NCL’s excursions are complete with transportation to and from the ship so I am not left on my own to find appropriate and fair priced transportation in new surroundings.

#5 Less researching for me, it’s a matter of convenience

#6 Yes when I have researched I have found some higher and some lower, so I figure in the end I’m breaking even.

I’m sure that since NCL would have a markup on their excursions the price would completely depend on what kind of a deal they can strike with the tour companies. If the tour company is charging them the same as the open public then their price would be higher.

*note - This was just general port excursions and not necessarily speaking of the bermuda cruise as #1 & #2 would not probably apply to the bermuda cruise.

The excursion issue varies by location as well as individual excursions.

The price is not the only thing to be considered (although it is THE thing for many folks) - additionally you have (1) ease of signing up and showing up for your excursion (2) peace of mind - you know the ship will not leave without you on a ship sponsored excursion (3) possibly not paying for excursions up front (4) possibly being able to cancel up to 24 hours before

(5) medical coverage in the event of an accident while on an excursion.

That said doing it "on your own" allows you flexibility, possibly a smaller size or private vehicle, possibly less crowded beaches and/or quicker access to historic sites.

We tend to be DIY people but in certain locations, especially if we are first time visitors there, we will go with ship tours. Generally speaking, I think ship tours cost more but everyone has to decide what their comfort level is with going it on your own.

Enjoy

We did the Shipwreck and Coral Reef Snorkel excursion through NCL this past week. In the course of the trip, our guide asked how much we'd paid to book the trip, then said that if we'd booked it directly with them, it would have been a lot cheaper. Which is true, but I wouldn't have been able to get 19 other people to sign up with me!

We went to Crystal Caves on our own using the buses & ferry instead of booking through NCL. Yeah, it was cheaper, but it also took a REALLY long time to do the two buses there and one bus and one ferry back. Just something else to consider, particularly when the excursion you're looking at is just a 20 minute guided tour!

Just make sure to always do your research and compare prices. Some times it does come out in your favor.

The one thing we purchased using NCL was a ticket on the tram car going up to Paradise Point in St Thomas. They were actually $2 cheaper AND they guaranteed your visit. They stated that if for ANY REASON, you decided not to use the ticket, didn't have time to go...or whatever, you could bring the ticket back for a full refund upon boarding the ship again. WOW :eek:

So just make sure you check all resources prior to booking anything. :) It does happen.

Archived