What do you do?

Viennaborn

Dear wheelchair User,

WHat do you do with your 'stuff' when you are in your chair? Is there a special bag or other way to take along abottle of water,sun tan lotion,sweater,etc.etc. while you are out on an a excursion? Thanks for your help.

Dear wheelchair User,

WHat do you do with your 'stuff' when you are in your chair? Is there a special bag or other way to take along abottle of water,sun tan lotion,sweater,etc.etc. while you are out on an a excursion? Thanks for your help.

A basic inexpensive backpack slung over the back handles is an option

There are even backpacks made specifically for wheelchairs here's an example of one : http://www.amazon.com/Wheelchairs-CM-1957-Wheelchair-Backpack/dp/B0009RKF22

I don't know what others do but I just use a reasonably average size backpack attached to the back of the chair. Its big enough for anything I could need from tanning lotions, towel, water bottle and still have room for family/friends to put some of their stuff.

Got it in a back to school sale so it was like $15 instead of $40

My scooter came with a small attached backpack which I replaced with a larger one. The advantage with an “attached” backpack is that it allows one more luggage space. The bracket it is attached to is also perfect to hang my portable cooler for my medications. I do secure the cooler with a strap. As a result, I am able to travel with just a carry-on and my should bag. Ruth also attached a backpack to her scooter. Just pack everything in an inner bag that can be pulled out and sent through the scanner. That way, security does not have to pull everything out to inspect. Likewise, I have not ever had anything taken from my bags.

Betty

We have both a wheelchair backpack and an under seat pack. The wallet and cath supplies go in the latter, while jackets, water, sun block, hats, etc. go in the former (it is easier to get into for a pick pocket).

There are many nice bags and devices designed just for this which you can purchase on-line or at someplace like an Abilities Expo if you have one near you.

Here are just a few: http://www.usatechguide.org/techguide.php?vmode=1&catid=192

We have always found stuff from Advantage Bags especially nice: http://www.advantagebag.com/

Dh uses a bag that is designed to be used as a place to keep your remote on the side of your couch. Great for little things and then he has a HAL canvas bag that he hangs on the back of his chair for the bigger stuff.

Archived