If you have Kids and you are going on a cruise come here!!!!!

15boy

Hi all. I'm as excited as all in this thread as I'm cruising with my extended faimly soon. I do have one concern and I'm sure it is generated by my law enforcement backround and also by our times, and that concern is about posting too much info. Some posts on this thread might be better served by simply stating how many pre-teens and leaving it at that. Please don't misunderstand me, I love to cruise and I don't want to sound like a stick in the mud, but I want all of you to have a safe cruise.

How about things on this thread like what do you pack for kids? Do you adjust sleeping times prior to sailing? Do kids get sea sick like adults? How do you know they don't if it's their first cruise?

Have a great time cruising:D !!!!!!!!!!!!

Barry

Oh well......................

Barryod, I for one, appreciate your post! I've posted a couple of times & totally did not think about posting the ages of my sons. Did not give names w/said ages, but still. Thank you for watching out for all of us, even if we don't all realize and heed your advice.

Laura

Hi Laura,

Hope you and your family have a great cruise. Thank you for your comments. If you haven't thought of it yet, to invest in walkie-talkies lends a little peace of mind for the family travelers. Some even go so far as having GPS chips should people get separated. The sick people out there have incredible networks but there is great technology out there for us to stay safe. Parenting today requires more attention then years past.

You and your family enjoy this first cruise Laura, you'll never forget it nor will the kids, trust me. My four children always talk of their first cruise and Jan. 09 we leave for an extended family and friends cruise which I want to start packing for right now.....cruising does that to me.:D

Barry

Hi Laura,

Hope you and your family have a great cruise. Thank you for your comments. If you haven't thought of it yet, to invest in walkie-talkies lends a little peace of mind for the family travelers. Some even go so far as having GPS chips should people get separated. The sick people out there have incredible networks but there is great technology out there for us to stay safe. Parenting today requires more attention then years past.

You and your family enjoy this first cruise Laura, you'll never forget it nor will the kids, trust me. My four children always talk of their first cruise and Jan. 09 we leave for an extended family and friends cruise which I want to start packing for right now.....cruising does that to me.:D

Barry

Thanks for the wonderful comments! We are certainly looking forward to it! Hubby & I talked about getting walkie talkies as well.

I'm getting a little down on my upcoming cruise. From reading these boards, especially the Carnival one, there is so much children bashing and parent bashing.

Over and over I see quotes like "drunken parents not taking care of their kids", "kids running all over the ship alone", "don't take elevators as it will be filled with kids who push all the buttons".

I am really worried my kids will be looked down on, even if they aren't doing anything wrong. My kids (well 11 yo DS specifically - DD is only 6) will be watched like a hawk while people look for something to yell at him for. He is a very well behaved kid, not perfect, but he knows better than to misbehave. But I feel like some people will be waiting to blame him.

I totally agree kids should NOT be in Adult only areas, but for the tone of ALOT of people, it sounds like they would rather kids not be allowed anywhere on the ship. Is this how your kids have been treated, or is just the "you cant read tone" in the posts?

Please advise and set my mind at ease.

I'm getting a little down on my upcoming cruise. From reading these boards, especially the Carnival one, there is so much children bashing and parent bashing.

Over and over I see quotes like "drunken parents not taking care of their kids", "kids running all over the ship alone", "don't take elevators as it will be filled with kids who push all the buttons".

I am really worried my kids will be looked down on, even if they aren't doing anything wrong. My kids (well 11 yo DS specifically - DD is only 6) will be watched like a hawk while people look for something to yell at him for. He is a very well behaved kid, not perfect, but he knows better than to misbehave. But I feel like some people will be waiting to blame him.

I totally agree kids should NOT be in Adult only areas, but for the tone of ALOT of people, it sounds like they would rather kids not be allowed anywhere on the ship. Is this how your kids have been treated, or is just the "you cant read tone" in the posts?

Those posts are making me crazy too! I will go on my cruise and have a great time. I think you should too. Have a quick talk before boarding with your kids about behavior, and then be done with it. I think on these boards people say what they can't in real life. There won't be any kid bashing on board. In fact, the crew and staff on board might even give you extra attention since you have kids. People like to party on cruise ships...just keep your kids out of the bars and you'll be fine! If you notice drunken behavior elsewhere, move. That's what we plan to do. On our other cruises, none of this was a problem. Seriously, it's just isolated stories that get focused on this board. Have fun planning for your trip and relax when you get there. I hope your kids have a blast!

I'm getting a little down on my upcoming cruise...

...it sounds like they would rather kids not be allowed anywhere on the ship. Is this how your kids have been treated, or is just the "you cant read tone" in the posts?

Well, this will be my first cruise with our son (he will be 25 months at sailing) -- and we will also have an 11 month old as well as a 13 year old in our party -- but I have traveled a LOT with him. I can tell you that generally people are pretty friendly about having a child with us. My son is a typical toddler -- he has his moments but is basically an easygoing kid. We are considerate of other people -- and expect the same in return. Being considerate and respectful isn't something only those of us with children should be advised to do -- those without can stand to be empathetic when we are doing the very best that we can.

I wouldn't worry one bit about your trip. People are far more willing to be outspoken and unkind in their opinions when they are anonymous on a message board. ;)

We've had our kids on two Carnival cruises and have the next booked for February. I've never experienced any of the attitudes I've read about on these boards. To the contrary, I think Carnival is trying to cater to families more than ever. Our one-year old was treated like a celebrity by fellow cruisers and staff alike on our recent sailing to Alaska. Camp Carnival does a great job supervising the kids - even taking them to the evening shows. I'm sure some kids do get out of hand - I blame the parents for that! My son is old enough to sign himself in and out of camp - he knows what is expected of him and knows how to behave respectfully. Some people just like to complain...don't let it get to you. Have a great cruise with your famiy!

that is what I was hoping to hear.

We have already made up a behavior contract for DS (and DD so she doesn't feel left out) to sign. It just states what is expected (be back at so and so time) and what is not allowed (no pushing, running, etc). It is a preemptive strike against any of the bad behavior you hear about on the boards. Even though I do not expect him to do any of this stuff. Doesn't do it at home, why would I think he would do it on board?

:)

I've been on many cruises on Celebrity, Carnival, NCL, & Princess and I've never seen the horor stories that some people report. I've gone on 1 cruise as a parent where I left my son at home (big mistake) and I'm about to take my first cruise with him (he'll be 26 months). I've seen kids acting up but I've seen parents handling it. I've usually seen kids acting very well behaved. Well maybe rambunctious at times but well behaved rambunctious. It was either Carnival or NCL the kids program was doing a scavenger hunt and they had to go all over the ship. Questions included finding people from all 50 states. Well I was will a group from all over the country and Canada so we would sign and point out people from other states they needed. Some people would probably complain horribly about that our group just saw it as a bunch of kids being kept busy and having a good time. I wasn't a parent at the time. I think it's all on point of view.

My parents choose to live in a neighborhood with young families so they stay young other people of their age group choose to live in senior communities so that they don't have to have the "noise."

Archived