My Carnival Glory Photo Review- Norfolk to the Bahamas

Host Faith

Hi, you are doing a great job on this review. But one thing I don't understand about the above pictures: Where are all the people?!?

If I read correctly, you slept in a bit and these were taken after breakfast, this should have been packed.

I was shocked myself! Yes, they were taken after breakfast; hardly anyone was up there yet.

Edited by faith413

LOVE YOUR REVIEW! I "should" be packing but here I am on cruise critic. LOL! We fly out for our cruise tomorrow. Woohooo! Can't wait to see more of your review. Hubby & I were thinking of cruising out of Norfolk sometime. :)

Hi Amy! Haha, I did the same thing just before my cruise. Sailing out of Norfolk was so convenient. We had a great time. Have fun on your cruise!

Day 3: Nassau, the Bahamas

It was a beautiful morning!

Had breakfast in the buffet and used the internet a bit before we went outside to catch our first glimpse of Nassau:

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+108.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+109.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+110.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+111.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+112.jpg

Spied another Carnival Ship on the way to port:

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+113.jpg

We got off the ship at 11:30 AM to head to the Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort. I chose the Sheraton because it seemed to have more water sports, etc, available than the Hilton. We were looking for a nice beach with a lively atmosphere.

Great review so far. I will be on ship in four days and really looking forward to it. By the way, I will be have the Warm Melting Chocolate Cake with two scoops.

YES! Two scoops! I learned to do that on night 3, lol. They give such tiny little scoops of ice cream. Thank you for reading!

Leaving the ship was very simple, we just needed to show our Fun Passes to be scanned, and were on our way. No long lines or waiting. We were docked on the far side of the port, here are a couple shots as we walked through the pier area and cruise terminal:

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+117.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+118.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+119.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+120.jpg

Whoa- the cab drivers in the terminal area were a bit more assertive than I’m used to. We had to say no to their offers several times. I mean, we would say no to one driver and the one standing right next to him would offer the very same thing, lol.

I meant to find the #10 jitney, but for some reason we weren’t able to find it. We ended up catching a taxi, which cost us $18 ($15 for the first two, $3 for the third passenger). The whole situation was ironic because as soon as we negotiated the price and were pulling off in the taxi.....I saw a #10 up the road. Hilarious! No big deal either way. The ride was about 15 minutes.

We went to the front desk and got our wristbands. The day pass was $25 pp, and included access to the pools and beach, all the outdoor facilities, and non-motorized water sports. There are a couple pools, one with a nice waterfall. The Sheraton and its grounds are beautiful. Mom and Rae were very happy with the choice:

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+124.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+129.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+127.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+156.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+130.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+135.jpg

As you can see by the photos, the skies alternated between beautiful sunshine one minute, and heavy clouds the next. Nevertheless, it was a gorgeous day.

By now, Rae discovered that her skin didn’t take too kindly to all the Caribbean heat and sun. She wore a high SPF sunscreen, and still got what looked like sunburn. Obviously, she wanted to sit in the shade as much as possible. We noticed that there weren’t that many umbrellas on the beach. It was so early that we were able to get one with no problem. It really is a beautiful beach.

We ran to the waterline to dip our toes in the water….shocked to find out it was FREEZING. I enjoy swimming in the ocean and had this in mind when choosing the cruise…but sadly it was too cold for our comfort level. The fact that it was getting pretty cloudy (making it cooler outside) didn’t help. There were maybe 1 adult and two children actually swimming in the water. The rest of us hopped around on the shoreline, keeping one foot in the water at a time- but not for long, lol. Oh well, we laid out a bit and enjoyed the beautiful surroundings for a while.

After about an hour, we got hungry, so we decided to go to the Dolphin Grill for lunch. It was right behind the beach area, outdoors.

Rae and I got the jerk chicken sandwich with Mango daiquiris, and my Mom got a burger. The chicken in the sandwich was a little dry, and seasoned lightly with the jerk sauce (I was expecting a little more kick, but it was still good). The mango daiquiri was delish, you could really taste the fresh mangoes. We had a little visitor too:

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+146.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+148.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+149.jpg

Enjoying your review and pics!

We're doing this cruise in Oct. and are also going to the Sheraton for the day. Looks beautiful! Do you mind my asking how much your lunch was there? I've heard the food is expensive.

Thanks!

Sidebar: I've had some people message me from my blog, asking what kind of camera I used. I had a Nikon Coolpix L22 for daytime shots, and at night, I used a veeery old Olympus camedia c-2040 zoom. I need to take my Nikon to the shop since the flash isn't working :o.

Upon getting back to our chairs on the beach, Rae and I decided to try one of the huge water bikes, the kind that float and two people have to pedal in the ocean. We got to the booth and discovered that the water was too choppy for us to go out. So disappointed.

While walking back toward my Mom, we were approached by one of the tour operators there who “took a liking” to me (Rae caught another one’s eye lol). Please note that I don’t think he was associated with the hotel. After coming back and forth to speak with us over the course of about 30 mins, this particular tour operator offered to take us on his boat for a snorkeling trip. I asked him how much it would cost and he said, “Whatever you would like to give me as a tip, that’s what I’ll take.” CREEPY…at least give me an actual price. It can be discounted, but I need to hear a number, that's just strange to me. Not looking for anyone to flame me about how I felt.....just my observation.

After some quick thinking I said, “Well, let me check and see if my Mom would like to come with us (knowing she would say no). If she says yes, all three of us will go together.” We walked back toward Mom, and I told her about the operator. I said, “If he asks you, tell him you said, ‘no’” She said, “Don’t even worry about it, I was going to say no anyway!” LOL

As soon as he turned his back from our general direction, we made a dash for the pool area!

The pools were nice; it was just so quiet in the beach and pool area. I was really surprised. We were planning to go to the swim up bar, but the water was too cool for our comfort, given the cloudy, cooler weather. It had to have been around 2:30 or so and there were still not that many people out. Don't get me wrong, we still had a great time; I guess I was expecting something different given the reviews I saw online.

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+161.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+159.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+160.jpg

We came back and Mom let us know the tour operator had indeed approached her and she said no. He popped up out of nowhere and said, "Your Momma said no, such a shame," and walked away. Never saw him again.

Enjoying your review and pics!

We're doing this cruise in Oct. and are also going to the Sheraton for the day. Looks beautiful! Do you mind my asking how much your lunch was there? I've heard the food is expensive.

Thanks!

No problem at all! The sandwich was $14 and the daiquiri was $9. We paid cash, and I got a Bahamian dollar with my change. Pretty cool. :cool:

LOVE love LOVE the pics of the Sheraton!! excited that we are going there in October...and on the Glory as well..I would really love it if it is tha 'busy' when we go..I'm all about a nice QUIET beach or pool day :D

I did notice the very small baby in the pool..I'm sure there was a diaper envolved somewhere ewwwwwwwwwwww

Thanks for the review and mostly the pictures!

LOVE love LOVE the pics of the Sheraton!! excited that we are going there in October...and on the Glory as well..I would really love it if it is tha 'busy' when we go..I'm all about a nice QUIET beach or pool day :D

I did notice the very small baby in the pool..I'm sure there was a diaper envolved somewhere ewwwwwwwwwwww

Thanks for the review and mostly the pictures!

Yeah I love quiet beach days too. Rae is a more social type of person so I was stressing a bit to make sure everyone was happy! :)

As for the baby in the pool...I think he had on those swim diapers. Not that that makes it better, lol.

another question for you.....did they have Movies under the Stars at night like they do on other ships??

Yes, they did. I have some photos that I'm going to post about it :cool:

:D Best Review I've see so far! The photos along with the commentary are great, especially of Nassau!

Thank you so much! I love seeing photo reviews here on CC....makes the time between cruises seem so much shorter. Glad you're enjoying the review :)

Thanks for your review--your pictures are great!

Thank you!

Great pics, thanks!

My pleasure, thank you!

Thanks so much for a great review!

Love your pictures, looks like you had a great time with the ladies!

Thank you! Yes we had a great time. We actually travel quite a bit together. I love traveling with my Mom :D

What a awesome review. And wonderful pictures. Thanks for sharing..

Thank you so much, it's fun for me to share!

Great review so far!

Thanks! I'm about to write some more right now :)

Thanks for a great review. Your photos were great. I wish I was in the Bahamas right now LOL

There is a link to my last review of our May 8th Mothers Day Splendor Cruise in my signature below.

Awesome photo review! Loved your comments about the muster drill, I felt the same way. Learned my lesson about getting there early- never again! :D The Splendor looks like a beautiful ship!

Edited by faith413