My Carnival Glory Photo Review- Norfolk to the Bahamas

Host Faith

LOL - I'm originally from Jersey and didn't learn how to pump gas until I moved to NY. When my parents would come to visit, my dad would try to find a full service gas station because he HATED pumping gas.:p

Loved your review!

Haha! I wish I had recorded the actual process of Rae figuring out how to pump the gas. It was so funny. And once she figured it out, she shouted, "I did it, I did it! I can pump gas!!" ROFL

Faith, One of the best reviews I have ever read on CC. We will be on Glory in 13 days and booked the Emerald Steakhouse the first night, have to get this cruise off to a great start:p Silly question, can you order more than 1 appetizer, entree and dessert, my DH has been known to do this in the MDR:o Thank you for the directions to the Secret spa and pool, since we are going to Canada the weather will only be about 68 degrees so that pool sounds wonderful. So glad you all had a wonderful time and Happy Cruising

Thank you so much! Good choice about the steakhouse, I think they give you a free glass of wine if you go the first night. I think you can order more than one of everything except the entree (which you would probably have to pay another $30 for). My husband and I did this in the steakhouse on the RCCL Serenade of the Seas, and by the time the steak came out, we were almost full. The portions in the steakhouse seemed to be a little larger than the ones in the MDR.

Yes, the secret pool really comes in handy. I think the aft pool's retractable roof will be up when sailing to Canada, so you'll likely have that option as well. Have fun on your cruise! :)

I'm originally from New Jersey too (but now live in Florida). When I first moved down here, I was scared to pump gas and would have my sister or someone else fill up the tank for me. Now (several years later) I do pump the gas myself but don't like doing it because of all the people I see doing things that they should not do while pumping gas (like talking on their cell phone or getting in and out of the car repeatedly--static electricity):mad:

Yeah Jersey spoils us that way, lol. OMG I would be so nervous around people being so haphazard while pumping gas! I get upset if ppl don't completely turn their cars off while getting gas :eek:

I just got off the Fascination and they had baked beans there too. Whats up with that?

Hi sthrnbll! I think the baked beans are an English thing? Can anyone out there confirm?

Great review Faith, I especially loved all the pictures! And all three of you have beautiful smiles! It was easy to see what a great time you were having!

Wow, thank you so much! We had a wonderful time :)

LOL that is funny about pumping gas, here in southern Ontario Canada, it is hard to find a full service station. Everything is self serve and pay at the pump.

I showed my hubby the pics from your cruise and he loved them, he said he is going to stake out a hammock and not leave it the entire cruise lmao

LOL that is funny about pumping gas, here in southern Ontario Canada, it is hard to find a full service station. Everything is self serve and pay at the pump.

I showed my hubby the pics from your cruise and he loved them, he said he is going to stake out a hammock and not leave it the entire cruise lmao

That's a great idea! Rae had the same plan until sunburn got her. She couldn't even sit in partial shade :eek:

The gas thing is one thing I love about NJ, and the only thing I don't like about road trips. Everyone I know who lives in NJ tries to fill up before they cross the state line. We're some funny people, lol.

Day 6: Traveling Home

The following morning, we had breakfast at 8:00, and proceeded to the self-debark area. There was a lot of confusion about this.

Getting off the ship was a breeze after all that. Busses were waiting to take us back to the parking facility. We were in our car and off to NJ in no time.

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+237.jpg

Only one problem- we’re from NJ and we needed gas! We don’t pump our own gas! Here’s a pic of Rae pumping gas for the first time, LOL!!

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+236.jpg

Took 13 all the way home and crossed our favorite bridge again. Since it was Sunday, there were lots of families sailing and fishing in the Chesapeake Bay. Just a beautiful sight:

Thank you for following me in my review! Feel free to ask any questions, and happy sailing!

Great review! I had to laugh about Rae pumping gas for the first time--I'm originally from New Jersey too, and when I first moved to FL, I pulled up to a gas station and didn't have a clue what to do! I had to ask a customer at the next pump to show me, LOL!

Great review girl! Love your pictures! I think your mom sitting out with her puzzle book is too cute. That is sooooooo like my mom. lol It sucks that Rae got sunburned. I got sunburned on my last cruise too. I wore spf 50 but I fell asleep by the pool for a long time. Many women of color think we can't burn, but we do! Oh, and I can't help but giggle at the gas pumping comment. We don't have full service stations in the south any more. I don't think I've seen one of those since I was a child!

Thanks for sharing and enjoy your next cruise! :)

Thanks so much for your review...I LOVED it. My husband and I were on the Glory in April of 2010...not the same itinerary, but your pics bring back REALLY good memories. I got sunburned pretty bad on my last cruise (May 2011). I'm a woman of color also, and I didn't wear sunblock, like an idiot. Heck, we burn too! :) I know now though!!!

Again...I loved loved loved your review. All of you are such cuties and it looks like you ladies had a great time. Your mom is a doll.

Thanks again for the great read. :)

First of all, the baked beans at breakfast are definitely a British thing. I prefer mine with ribs!

Great review....I too am taking Glory on a ladies' cruise, three of us in an inside cabin, just like you ladies did...so those photos much appreciated, as are those of the ship in general. I'm sending this thread off to my sailing mates! We're going northward to Canada beginning of September, I live on LI and leave out of NYC which is great.

You have succeeded in making me quite hungry despite having had Italian food for dinner earlier. Note to self: Fish and Chips. My mouth is now watering for the melting cake. I can taste it. Not to mention there is now moisture on my keyboard due to my drooling over the lobster.

I always wanted to drive that Bridge/Tunnel and we never quite make it. Was going to go to Colonial Williamsburg and VA beach a couple of summers ago and take it one way, but we decided it would be too hot to sightsee and never went.

Mom looked like she had a wonderful time and you all looked great!

Adding to the discussion--I LOL over the gas pumping....gee you Jerseyites are so spoiled.....us NYers learn to pump early on! Yet, I do have friends here who have no idea how to pump the stuff (including my MIL!).

Luved your review and all your pictures! :)

The bridge looks beautiful and the tunnels terrify me! :o

Btw, I'm in Missouri and I had no idea there are still stations that will pump gas for you!! We had one little place like that in my hometown when I was in high school ~ 20 years ago ~ but no such thing now!

May I ask, in the breakfast photo, what is the white coloured food, on the plate with pastries,scrambled egg and bacon?

As a girl from the south I can answer that.....grits! I try to have a bowl every morning when we cruise.

Edited by gail811

Faith,

Great review.

I grew up on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. Right where you first get on the bridge/tunnel (where the toll booths are), there used to be an Air Force radar station. My dad was stationed there. We used to ride our bikes to the beach area just under the beginning of the bridge.

Not only was the bridge built with private funds, but the first little island (Fisherman's Island) was owned by "Capt Gene". A local favorite. We once watched him order, take delivery and pay cash for a pick up truck when his died in the club parking lot! He just called up the dealer and said "Bring me a new truck":D . Just before he passed away, he gave the island to the state with the provision it never be developed in anyway.

BTW, I now live in Dover, DE where you stopped at Olive Garden!:)

Great review! I had to laugh about Rae pumping gas for the first time--I'm originally from New Jersey too, and when I first moved to FL, I pulled up to a gas station and didn't have a clue what to do! I had to ask a customer at the next pump to show me, LOL!

Haha! Good to know we weren't the only ones! :)

Great review girl! Love your pictures! I think your mom sitting out with her puzzle book is too cute. That is sooooooo like my mom. lol It sucks that Rae got sunburned. I got sunburned on my last cruise too. I wore spf 50 but I fell asleep by the pool for a long time. Many women of color think we can't burn, but we do! Oh, and I can't help but giggle at the gas pumping comment. We don't have full service stations in the south any more. I don't think I've seen one of those since I was a child!

Thanks for sharing and enjoy your next cruise! :)

LOL! My Mom has to have either a book or a word find in her purse at all times. Who knew we could burn?! I was really surprised and so was Rae. :)

Thank you for taking your time to write this! I loved it!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much! Can't wait to write another one...too bad I have to wait till October...:)

Thanks so much for your review...I LOVED it. My husband and I were on the Glory in April of 2010...not the same itinerary, but your pics bring back REALLY good memories. I got sunburned pretty bad on my last cruise (May 2011). I'm a woman of color also, and I didn't wear sunblock, like an idiot. Heck, we burn too! :) I know now though!!!

Again...I loved loved loved your review. All of you are such cuties and it looks like you ladies had a great time. Your mom is a doll.

Thanks again for the great read. :)

Thank you so much! Lesson learned regarding sunburn, lol. That strong Caribbean sun is no joke!

First of all, the baked beans at breakfast are definitely a British thing. I prefer mine with ribs!

Great review....I too am taking Glory on a ladies' cruise, three of us in an inside cabin, just like you ladies did...so those photos much appreciated, as are those of the ship in general. I'm sending this thread off to my sailing mates! We're going northward to Canada beginning of September, I live on LI and leave out of NYC which is great.

You have succeeded in making me quite hungry despite having had Italian food for dinner earlier. Note to self: Fish and Chips. My mouth is now watering for the melting cake. I can taste it. Not to mention there is now moisture on my keyboard due to my drooling over the lobster.

I always wanted to drive that Bridge/Tunnel and we never quite make it. Was going to go to Colonial Williamsburg and VA beach a couple of summers ago and take it one way, but we decided it would be too hot to sightsee and never went.

Mom looked like she had a wonderful time and you all looked great!

Adding to the discussion--I LOL over the gas pumping....gee you Jerseyites are so spoiled.....us NYers learn to pump early on! Yet, I do have friends here who have no idea how to pump the stuff (including my MIL!).

Thanks for the comments, and for confirming about the baked beans! I'm so happy the photos were helpful to you. I like reading descriptions, but I think photos tell you so much more sometimes. Fish and Chips is a MUST! :p

Luved your review and all your pictures! :)

The bridge looks beautiful and the tunnels terrify me! :o

Btw, I'm in Missouri and I had no idea there are still stations that will pump gas for you!! We had one little place like that in my hometown when I was in high school ~ 20 years ago ~ but no such thing now!

Thank you! WOW we learn something new every day! LOL I hope they keep the full-service situation here in NJ, I think the state would be in an uproar if they stopped! :D

Thank you for the thorough review of your cruise, and the great photos.

May I ask, in the breakfast photo, what is the white coloured food, on the plate with pastries,scrambled egg and bacon?

Yes, per gail811, those are grits. I like them with butter and sugar, Rae likes them with butter, salt, and pepper...and I have another friend who likes them with cheese. :)

As a girl from the south I can answer that.....grits! I try to have a bowl every morning when we cruise.

That's right, so do I! YUM :)

Faith,

Great review.

I grew up on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. Right where you first get on the bridge/tunnel (where the toll booths are), there used to be an Air Force radar station. My dad was stationed there. We used to ride our bikes to the beach area just under the beginning of the bridge.

Not only was the bridge built with private funds, but the first little island (Fisherman's Island) was owned by "Capt Gene". A local favorite. We once watched him order, take delivery and pay cash for a pick up truck when his died in the club parking lot! He just called up the dealer and said "Bring me a new truck":D . Just before he passed away, he gave the island to the state with the provision it never be developed in anyway.

BTW, I now live in Dover, DE where you stopped at Olive Garden!:)

Wow, thanks for sharing about the bridge!! I didn't realize it was built with private funds. Capt Gene sounded like an awesome man. So happy we still get to enjoy the island since they respected his wishes. It's so beautiful out there. And what a small world! :D

Edited by faith413

That was a great review! Wonderful pics & great family! I'm glad you had a blast!

Thanks nytraveller! I think I'm also now a part of that "quality assurance team" for the melting cake! :p

Thank you for your time and efforts in putting together this review. It is very informative and your pictures are great. My wife and I are going on this same cruise in Oct with some family. I hope we have as much fun as you girls did.

Great review. I usually don't read reviews unless it's on a ship I'm about to sail on. Since I live in Norfolk, I decided to read this one and I'm glad I did. LOL at the gas pumping moment. According to her facial expression, it seems to be the best part of Rae's vacation:D. This was a wonderful review. You all looked as if you had a great time. With Rae being a first time cruiser, what was her thoughts? Is she hooked on cruising?

Thank you so much for posting such an awesome review!! We're going on the Glory for the first time in Jan out of Miami and we too will be stopping in Nassau...nice to see actual photos of places to go and what to expect. Your pics are fantastic as well!! Maybe we'll see ya on a cruise one day!! :)

Edited by MrsTiz