My Carnival Glory Photo Review- Norfolk to the Bahamas

Host Faith

Wonderful review & pictures. That is funny about the gas pumping. One of our guys was up there and stopped to get gas, almost got a ticket for pumping his own gas. We are so used to get it down here, second nature.

Thank you so much! You know, we're so spoiled here. We try to make sure we have our tanks full before heading to NY, DE, or PA. Pumping our own gas is always a hilarious event. :)

Hi bungee! Thank you so much for posting, I'm glad you enjoyed my review. You don't have that long of a wait to sail the Glory! Enjoy your cruise :)

Thank you for your kind reply. There is only one thing that I am looking forward to as much as I am looking forward to my cruise......that is your review after you take your Allure of the Seas cruise in September. Someday I want to cruise on either the Oasis or the Allure. I wouldn't even care where they cruise to because they seem to be a destination all by themselves.

Thank you for your kind reply. There is only one thing that I am looking forward to as much as I am looking forward to my cruise......that is your review after you take your Allure of the Seas cruise in September. Someday I want to cruise on either the Oasis or the Allure. I wouldn't even care where they cruise to because they seem to be a destination all by themselves.

I can't wait to sail the Allure and write the review! Yeah I think they chose the ports for that ship because the ship itself is really the destination. If you cruise the Caribbean once or twice, you have probably been to most of the ports. I think we're a little tempted to stay on the ship in one of the ports. We're been to Jamaica before so we may do just that. We'll figure it out once we get a little closer to the sailing. We go back and forth on the decision! :o

You don't have that much longer of a wait to sail the Glory! Lucky you :)

Faith,

I so enjoyed your pics and blogs of your cruise on the Glory last year. I was on that same cruise, which was my very first cruise. I live about 30 min. from the port so it was great. We missed so much on the ship that we decided to do the same cruise again this year and leave out of Norfolk on the Glory May 27th. Was a little nervouse booking again since, as you know, the seas were like glass and with so much happening lately with cruises and the fear of rough seas I am a little hesitant. But.... decided to go for it. Your pics brought back so many memories. Can't wait to find the spa pool and try the aft pool and serenity area. We did the White Heat lounge only one night and had the best time but plan on dancing a few more nights this time around. I definately want to get one of those "Kiss on the Lips". My favorite drink on our cruise was a "pomtini". Starting to count down the days!!! Thanks again.

Faith,

I so enjoyed your pics and blogs of your cruise on the Glory last year. I was on that same cruise, which was my very first cruise. I live about 30 min. from the port so it was great. We missed so much on the ship that we decided to do the same cruise again this year and leave out of Norfolk on the Glory May 27th. Was a little nervouse booking again since, as you know, the seas were like glass and with so much happening lately with cruises and the fear of rough seas I am a little hesitant. But.... decided to go for it. Your pics brought back so many memories. Can't wait to find the spa pool and try the aft pool and serenity area. We did the White Heat lounge only one night and had the best time but plan on dancing a few more nights this time around. I definately want to get one of those "Kiss on the Lips". My favorite drink on our cruise was a "pomtini". Starting to count down the days!!! Thanks again.

Hi there! Thank you, and what a small world! We probably passed each other on the ship a couple times. I see you're from Suffolk- my father grew up in Norfolk :D

I'm sure you'll have a great time. We really liked the aft pool area. I wish the Serenity area was in the aft section, since it got very windy being all the way forward. That's the only thing I would change. I love pomtini's, the combo of tart and sweet is so good! Do you have any plans for the Bahamas? Have either one of those drinks for me, and enjoy your cruise! :)

Edited by Host Faith

I just wanted to say thank you so much for your blog. I'm leaving 5/15 out of norfolk and your blog has just been fuel to my excitement, and a great way to get my boyfriend excited who has never cruised before... He likes the pictures. You know men are visual. Anyhow your blog convinced me to book, so thanks a bunch!!

I just wanted to say thank you so much for your blog. I'm leaving 5/15 out of norfolk and your blog has just been fuel to my excitement, and a great way to get my boyfriend excited who has never cruised before... He likes the pictures. You know men are visual. Anyhow your blog convinced me to book, so thanks a bunch!!

Wow, thank you so much! I'm so glad the review helped you make your decision to book your cruise. Photos always help ;). I hope you have a great time, you only have a week left before you board, how exciting! Happy cruising :)

While you wait your turn to sail, here's another fantastic photo commentary on the Glory: http://beyondships.com/CarnivalGlory-Tour-1.html. I like to check out this website along with Cruise Critic, when trying to decide on a cruise.

Hi Faith,

I am so glad I found your trip report! We are sailing on the Glory on 5/27 and this is our first Carnival cruise. (We have sailed with Disney a few times and loved it.) We are from VB, so it is only 20 minutes to the terminal in Norfolk! How convenient! I am taking nine graduating senior girls (including my 18 year old daughter) on the cruise, as a celebration for being in girl scouts for 12 years! I have two other moms going with us. We are very excited and I have referred the girls to your TR so they can see pictures of the ship. I have made notes about your dining choices and definitely want to try a "Kiss On The Lips"! My mom will also be sailing on this cruise, but she will be with a large group from her neighborhood.

I loved your photos of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. We rarely go across it, but we do have a boat and we are out there on the water all summer. The very coolest ride is to ride between the bridges AT NIGHT!!! What a gorgeous sight with the lights from the bridges! I am hoping that my family will be out there when we sail away! That would be so cool if they could see the cruise ship on the water as we leave Norfolk. I assume they sail over tunnels to get out to the Atlantic, but what tunnel do they cross over....the one closest to VB or the Eastern Shore? I need to let my husband know so they can see us off!!

Thanks so much for your TR! It was so helpful and the pictures were great! All three of you are very pretty girls!!! Enjoy your next cruise!

Thank you for such an awesome review! We will be on Glory for the second time in August (first time was May 2010 on the Western Caribbean Itinerary), and like you, we love eating at the Fish & Chips restaurant!

Never knew about the "secret pool and jacuzzis" in the spa area - I guess we'll have to find them while on board... unless you can share the secret of where they are ;)

Never thought about going to the Sheraton for a beach day in Nassau - will have to consider that the next time we do an Eastern Itinerary (Nassau's not on our list of favorite places to go to on a cruise).

Pictures were incredible - brought back lots of fun memories of exploring a new ship for the first time!

Thanks again and glad that all of you are back on land!

Hi Faith,

I am so glad I found your trip report! We are sailing on the Glory on 5/27 and this is our first Carnival cruise. (We have sailed with Disney a few times and loved it.) We are from VB, so it is only 20 minutes to the terminal in Norfolk! How convenient! I am taking nine graduating senior girls (including my 18 year old daughter) on the cruise, as a celebration for being in girl scouts for 12 years! I have two other moms going with us. We are very excited and I have referred the girls to your TR so they can see pictures of the ship. I have made notes about your dining choices and definitely want to try a "Kiss On The Lips"! My mom will also be sailing on this cruise, but she will be with a large group from her neighborhood.

I loved your photos of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. We rarely go across it, but we do have a boat and we are out there on the water all summer. The very coolest ride is to ride between the bridges AT NIGHT!!! What a gorgeous sight with the lights from the bridges! I am hoping that my family will be out there when we sail away! That would be so cool if they could see the cruise ship on the water as we leave Norfolk. I assume they sail over tunnels to get out to the Atlantic, but what tunnel do they cross over....the one closest to VB or the Eastern Shore? I need to let my husband know so they can see us off!!

Thanks so much for your TR! It was so helpful and the pictures were great! All three of you are very pretty girls!!! Enjoy your next cruise!

Hi there! Thank you so much! WOW it sounds like you have a fun bunch going with you on the cruise! Sailing out of Norfolk will be perfect for your group, it's so convenient. Please tell all the girls I said congratulations on their graduation! The bridge is beautiful in the daytime, I can imagine it must be gorgeous at night. We're hoping to have a boat of our own someday, it would be great to sail that area.

It's funny, I don't remember much about the sailaway. I'm sorry I can't give more info about where the ship sails, coming out of Norfolk. We were so tired from driving and everything that we watched about 5-10 mins of the sailaway and then went to our room to rest a bit before dinner.

Have fun on your cruise! And enjoy a Kiss on the Lips (perhaps with a shot of rum? :)) for me!

Hi Cary and Susan! Here's how you get to the secret pool:

I went looking for the secret pool and whirlpool in the spa area. You can see it from the main pool area, near the waterslides, from the outside, but many people don't know how to get there. Thanks to the people at Cruisecritic.com, I found it

You have to walk through the spa locker room, and near the bathroom stalls you will see a door labeled, “Whirlpool.” Through that door you will find another door that leads to this pool and whirlpool:

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+086.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+089.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+088.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+087.jpg

It’s nice to enjoy on your own. The only thing is the music from the gym area is blaring into the pool area. It’s quiet sometimes. If you don’t notice it by now, I love, love, love my family and friends but also love being on my own sometimes. Must be that ‘only child’ thing ;)

Thank you for such an awesome review! We will be on Glory for the second time in August (first time was May 2010 on the Western Caribbean Itinerary), and like you, we love eating at the Fish & Chips restaurant!

Never knew about the "secret pool and jacuzzis" in the spa area - I guess we'll have to find them while on board... unless you can share the secret of where they are ;)

Never thought about going to the Sheraton for a beach day in Nassau - will have to consider that the next time we do an Eastern Itinerary (Nassau's not on our list of favorite places to go to on a cruise).

Pictures were incredible - brought back lots of fun memories of exploring a new ship for the first time!

Thanks again and glad that all of you are back on land!

Glad you liked the review! I have to agree with you about Nassau. It's nice, but it's not my favorite place to visit. I think part of it was that the weather was so cool. I don't like swimming in the ocean unless the weather is hot, and it wasn't really that hot when we were there last May. In contrast, we went to Cozumel this March, and it was nice and hot.

We've been to the Southern Caribbean a bit, so we like those islands more. I think we'll head to Atlantis the next time we're in Nassau. I do regret not going to Atlantis, just to say we've been there before.

Have fun on your cruise in August!

Edited to add: Love your signature! It's funny, I'm a Jersey girl too, and we're visiting Boston in August. Went there once last year and can't wait to go back!

~Chrystal

Edited by Host Faith

Thanks for the 411 on the secret pools. We'll probably visit them during our sea days, as it will probably be too cold to be at the outdoor pools.

I remember the first time I had to pump gas by myself. Took a couple of tries but eventually I got it right! And I do miss not having someone pump it for me -that's why I usually have my husband take care of the gas when we're out and about!

Enjoy Boston! My husband is from there, and we try to get back every couple of years, if only to go to a Boston Red Sox baseball game (he's a lifelong fan)!

Thanks for the 411 on the secret pools. We'll probably visit them during our sea days, as it will probably be too cold to be at the outdoor pools.

I remember the first time I had to pump gas by myself. Took a couple of tries but eventually I got it right! And I do miss not having someone pump it for me -that's why I usually have my husband take care of the gas when we're out and about!

Enjoy Boston! My husband is from there, and we try to get back every couple of years, if only to go to a Boston Red Sox baseball game (he's a lifelong fan)!

Haha! I remember the first time I took a girls' road trip with one of my other close friends, and we needed to get gas in Virginia. We asked the cashier at the station to come out and help us. He laughed at us and watched us struggle for about 5 minutes before he came out of the store. :eek: Now when we travel out of the state, I'm happy driving as long as DH pumps the gas, lol.

The last time we were in Boston, we visited Fenway Park for a tour. Well worth it, I imagine a live baseball game there must be fantastic!

• 3 weeks later...

So glad I found your review. I love the photos and your narration. What a great time! I enjoyed reading such a positive review and since I'm just a few miles from the cruise port I am seriously thinking about the Glory. Thanks so much.

First of all, loved your review! Looks like you all had a great time. I am so sad that you didn't do something in Freeport!!:p We are going to Freeport for the first time on an upcoming cruise and I am looking for excursion ideas. Have you been there before, if so, what would be your recommendation?

So glad I found your review. I love the photos and your narration. What a great time! I enjoyed reading such a positive review and since I'm just a few miles from the cruise port I am seriously thinking about the Glory. Thanks so much.

My pleasure! I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I think the trip is worth it, especially if you live close to the port. :)

Heading into one of the tunnels:

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+013.jpg

Can you believe that this one side used to be the whole bridge for both directions?! Still beautiful though...

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+011.jpg

It’s an incredible bridge. My parents used to take me on a vacation to VA Beach every summer, and I always looked forward to crossing the bridge. I’m just glad that it’s now two bridges, one going in each direction. Used to be a single bridge with one lane going in either direction- scary! Per our tradition, we stopped at the rest stop on the bridge. They have a nice shop with souvenirs, a café with beautiful ocean views, and a fishing pier.

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+018.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+016.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+021.jpg

I used to live in Norfolk Va for 9 years while i was in Navy. I owned my first boat there and cant say how many times Ive fished along that bridge all way to both ends. Great fishing at the rocks just off the tunnel channels. When when i was there, there was only 1 bridge (84-92). My parents used to live up on Md eastern shore which was about a 3 hour drive from Norfolk, Toll was 12.00 each way to drag a boat with single axle. Those were good times that i miss..

First of all, loved your review! Looks like you all had a great time. I am so sad that you didn't do something in Freeport!!:p We are going to Freeport for the first time on an upcoming cruise and I am looking for excursion ideas. Have you been there before, if so, what would be your recommendation?

Thank you! We did have a lot of fun. Our plan for Freeport was to head to Our Lucaya. I hear there's a beautiful beach there with some good shopping and restaurants. I've never been there before, but with my obsessive searching before the cruise that's what we decided on. We were just too tired to get off the ship that day, and it was nice to be able to enjoy the ship without as many people onboard. If we sail there again, I think we would either do a snorkeling excursion or head to Our Lucaya. Have fun on your cruise! :)

I used to live in Norfolk Va for 9 years while i was in Navy. I owned my first boat there and cant say how many times Ive fished along that bridge all way to both ends. Great fishing at the rocks just off the tunnel channels. When when i was there, there was only 1 bridge (84-92). My parents used to live up on Md eastern shore which was about a 3 hour drive from Norfolk, Toll was 12.00 each way to drag a boat with single axle. Those were good times that i miss..

Wow, that sounds like good times! I'd like to go boating out there someday. Around the time you were there, I remember riding that two-lane bridge as a kid. I loved it, and still do today. It's especially nice during the sunrise or sunset. Our tradition is to stop at the rest stop every single crossing. Heading down there again this summer for a weekend in Virginia Beach. Looking forward to it.

Great review! Thanks so much for posting.

<sigh> My cruise is still over a year away . . .

Glad you liked the review! Girls' cruises are so much fun. Hoping time goes by quickly for you! :)