My Carnival Glory Photo Review- Norfolk to the Bahamas

Host Faith

I really enjoyed your review and photos. It was awesome. Will be cruising on the Glory next month out of Miami. I can't wait!

Looking at your photos of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel brought back memories of the many times Hubby and I crossed that bridge going to VA Beach. It was so scary for me going over that bridge each and every time. Nevertheless it is a sight to behold.

I have to try the Kiss on the Lips drink. Thanks for the tip about the secret pool and the heads up about the Fish and Chips place.

I really enjoyed your review and photos. It was awesome. Will be cruising on the Glory next month out of Miami. I can't wait!

Looking at your photos of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel brought back memories of the many times Hubby and I crossed that bridge going to VA Beach. It was so scary for me going over that bridge each and every time. Nevertheless it is a sight to behold.

I have to try the Kiss on the Lips drink. Thanks for the tip about the secret pool and the heads up about the Fish and Chips place.

The Glory out of Miami- nice! Enjoy your cruise! I've always loved the Bridge-Tunnel, but it did scare me a little when it was a two-lane highway. So happy it's now two bridges, one in either direction. I always get a thrill when crossing it.

And a Kiss on the Lips will be in my hand in about two months on my next cruise :D

• 3 months later...
I loved reading your review and great enjoyed your great pictures. Thank you.

Hi bungee! Thank you so much for posting, I'm glad you enjoyed my review. You don't have that long of a wait to sail the Glory! Enjoy your cruise :)

I really enjoyed your review and all of the pictures. You have practically convinced me to try sailing out of Norfolk at least once, since I'm from NC and could drive there. I'm glad you had such a wonderful trip.

So happy you enjoyed the review! Sailing out of Norfolk was very nice, and it was so easy to park and ride the shuttle to the ship. We normally fly to the embarkation port, so this was a really nice change of pace. And coming from NC would be an easy drive :)

Enjoyed your review. Thanks for posting.

We are cruising the Glory on June 3 out of Boston. I am now convinced we should cruise out of Norfolk just for the drive from Florida. We were stationed in Norfolk in the 60s and haven't been there since. (Nothing against Norfolk, just left the Navy for the Air Force)

Shirley

geez. i gotta drive down the coast more often. i'm an i-95 kinda guy.

i hadn't even realized they built a second bridge on the CBBT.

and last time i crossed, the toll was $9.50. what's it now?

Yes, so happy they have a second bridge now. The toll was $12 each way; another $5 for the return if you came back within 24 hours.

Good morning everyone! Now where was I….

We had a great time just people watching and reading the magazines we had saved just for this trip. We also called and texted our hubbies as much as we could before we set sail. The sky was a perfect blue, with just a couple puffy white clouds. Such a nice day!

Around 4:00 or so, we looked over our shoulders to see the most ominous rain clouds approaching. We decided to make a dash for our rooms pretty quickly. I would say that about 10 minutes after we went inside, the skies opened and poured down heavy rain. We changed and got ready for the muster (safety) drill, and by the time we got to our stations, the rain had stopped.

Having been on RCCL so recently, I was kind of surprised by the muster drill on the Glory. With RCCL, we’ve actually shown our room keys for the ship staff to mark off that we were actually present at the drill. With this drill, there was no check-in. People really could have gone anywhere they wanted on deck and the staff would not have known the difference. People were still wandering around looking for their spots toward the end of the drill, and some didn’t find them at all. Of course, being the type-A person I am, we did everything as instructed. I know some people may think it’s not that big a deal, but I was just a little surprised by how disorganized the drill was.

When that was done, we watched sailaway for a couple minutes. We were pretty tired, so we rested a bit in our cabin and got ready for dinner. We had late dining at 8:15 PM, in the Platinum Restaurant, aft. Our table was #527, all the way in the back. We were right by the windows; here was our view each night:

P1010024.JPG

We normally do open-seating dinners, however since we booked so late that option was sold out. I was curious about who our table mates would be and how we would get along. I have to say that we met the most hilarious and lively women on the ship, right at our dinner table. Conversation was never dull, LOL.

The dinner and wait staff was great. Most of us started with the shrimp cocktail and either fruit or Caesar salads. Because of the comments on the Cruise Critic Boards, I was determined to try the ribs and the warm chocolate melting cake. Ribs were pretty good:

P1010026.JPG

They could have been a little more moist though. I’m a little spoiled because my uncle is known across the state for his BBQ and I grew up enjoying his food. My Mom is a fabulous cook too. So I give the ribs a ‘B.’

The warm chocolate melting cake was delicious:

P1010027.JPG

A little more dark than I expected, but I enjoy dark chocolate. The ice cream is a nice complement to the cake and its warm, gooey chocolate center.

This was a looong day. We walked around the ship a little bit more and then went to bed! We were greeted by this fella:

P1010062.JPG

Another shot of the twin bed and the Pullman bed above:

P1010013.JPG

TLove the review and the pics. We sailed her in 09 just before she went into dry dock. This last cruise we went in January, just prior to the Concordia incident, while we went out on deck for drill, we were near the buffet and I turned around and saw people sitting in there eating. I thought wow they dont need to attend? I was a litte shocked. Those are cool rocking chairs. I would sail her again in a heart beat. But airfare is more than the cruise. So I will live it through you! You look like your having a great time so far. ;)

Enjoyed your review. Thanks for posting.

We are cruising the Glory on June 3 out of Boston. I am now convinced we should cruise out of Norfolk just for the drive from Florida. We were stationed in Norfolk in the 60s and haven't been there since. (Nothing against Norfolk, just left the Navy for the Air Force)

Shirley

Hi Shirley! I'm happy you liked the review. Sounds like such a nice cruise to sail out of Boston. We love it up there. Enjoy your cruise, and thank you for your service! My father was in the Air Force before I was born. :)

not too bad. that's what the GWB is now. one way. :mad:

Oh yes, we had a rude awakening when we drove to NYC two weeks ago! Unbelievable. They've increased the NJTP prices by 50% as well. These things tempt me to move down south where a cruise port would be a short drive away! :rolleyes:

TLove the review and the pics. We sailed her in 09 just before she went into dry dock. This last cruise we went in January, just prior to the Concordia incident, while we went out on deck for drill, we were near the buffet and I turned around and saw people sitting in there eating. I thought wow they dont need to attend? I was a litte shocked. Those are cool rocking chairs. I would sail her again in a heart beat. But airfare is more than the cruise. So I will live it through you! You look like your having a great time so far. ;)

Thank you! That was strange to see people eating while you were at the muster drill. Then again I think the Glory's drill was a lot less organized than what I've been accustomed to. I remember thinking that a first-time cruiser (like Rae was at the time) wouldn't have fully known what to do during an emergency since everything was chaotic. I hope the drill has gotten better since the Concordia.

We had a nice cruise on the Glory! :)

Fantastic review! Brought back fond memories. If you like Ted Deker, you would like Frank Peretti. He and Ted Deker wrote a book together called house. It was also a movie. I wish I could look as good as so many ladies do when they dress up. You ladies looked georgous!

Fantastic review! Brought back fond memories. If you like Ted Deker, you would like Frank Peretti. He and Ted Deker wrote a book together called house. It was also a movie. I wish I could look as good as so many ladies do when they dress up. You ladies looked georgous!

Thank you so much! I'm a HUGE fan of Frank Peretti as well! House was awesome, Rae actually just borrowed my copy a couple weeks ago :):D

Thank you so much! I'm a HUGE fan of Frank Peretti as well! House was awesome, Rae actually just borrowed my copy a couple weeks ago :):D

I absolutely LOVED your review. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your vacation with us. You took us right along with you...much appreciated.

Tpiper55

Day 6: Traveling Home

The following morning, we had breakfast at 8:00, and proceeded to the self-debark area. There was a lot of confusion about this.

The night before, we were given instructions to self-debark by floor number. We were supposed to listen for our number and then proceed to leave the ship. I think this was skipped over, and they told all self-debarking passengers to leave at the same time. From what I heard, there was an issue with customs running late. This caused MAJOR congestion. It was so bad, that we had to take an elevator that was going up, and ride it all the way back down to deck 3. It was the only way you could catch an elevator. Then, when we got down there, it was so packed that it took us a few minutes to actually get off the elevator. We had to have stood there packed like sardines for about 30 minutes.

Getting off the ship was a breeze after all that. Busses were waiting to take us back to the parking facility. We were in our car and off to NJ in no time.

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+237.jpg

Only one problem- we’re from NJ and we needed gas! We don’t pump our own gas! Here’s a pic of Rae pumping gas for the first time, LOL!!

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+236.jpg

Took 13 all the way home and crossed our favorite bridge again. Since it was Sunday, there were lots of families sailing and fishing in the Chesapeake Bay. Just a beautiful sight:

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+240.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+242.jpg

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+245.jpg

Trying to extend our vacay, we stopped at the Olive Garden in Delaware for a quick lunch. We left VA at 9:30 and got back to NJ at 4:45 (about 7 hours instead of 6 because of our stop for lunch). Yay Jersey!

Carnival+Glory+Vacation+May+2011+259.jpg

Thank you for following me in my review! Feel free to ask any questions, and happy sailing!

Awesome reveiw! I can't wait to read your review for your upcoming cruise. You sail that day after me, but unfortunately we'll be in different parts of the caribbean. Great job!!

I absolutely LOVED your review. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your vacation with us. You took us right along with you...much appreciated.

Tpiper55

Thank you Tpiper55! Comments like yours keep me writing :). Happy sailing to you!

Awesome reveiw! I can't wait to read your review for your upcoming cruise. You sail that day after me, but unfortunately we'll be in different parts of the caribbean. Great job!!

Oh wow, we'll be on vacation at the same time! I'm looking forward to writing the review almost as much as the cruise itself! Have a great cruise :)