Bringing Wine On Board

HofstraJet

[quote name='Denny01']I Just love the discussions on bringing more than 2 bottles on board. I gave a cheap-shot comment earlier, but the posts about it varying a good deal is true. We don't bring on more than 2 because we usually don't consume that much in our SRs - enjoy a glass or so, but enjoy socializing around the ship more.

On our Euro cruise and our S American cruise, the ship was quite lenient and we brought a few bottles from various ports. Loved trying the local Malbecs in Argentina, and even the Santorini wines....would never find those in a standard wine shop. So I do wish they'd allow a bottle per port or so just so we could expand our palates with some local wines.

Sometimes they'd take our wine (always had it out or in a bag and ready to turn over as needed), and they'd let our friends go through with theirs. Then on a B2B, they'd bring our bottles to us, the ones we turned over on the 1st leg and we had them for the 2nd cruise. Neat. I guess if I don't actually try to smuggle the stuff, I don't feel 'guilty' (what is that concept??) about what they allow me to bring on.

So I guess I'm one of those guys who won't actively smuggle but won't insist they take my bottle...and I'll be quite frank, if the OP or 'bellybutton530' want to invite us over for a glass of their ill-gotten smuggled wine, I'd jump at it. So much for my high morals.

Den[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Oh my.... someone who is critical of my methods is certainly not in the running to enjoy the fruits of my labor. So sorry.[/FONT]

[quote name='bellybutton530'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Oh my.... someone who is critical of my methods is certainly not in the running to enjoy the fruits of my labor. So sorry.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Not that you'd invite me or that I could really tell the difference between standard wines and the expensive stuff you drink, I didn't see my comments as being critical of you. You pointed out that those that want to, will and those that don't want to, won't. Well put, but those that 'don't' aren't being critical, just wouldn't do it.

Den

[quote name='Denny01']Yes, those roll call people can be so untrustworthy! terrible of them when I'm trying to [B]smuggle and cheat the system[/B] to not be upstanding and 'flake out' on me. You just can't trust people nowdays!

Den[/quote]

[quote name='Denny01']I Just love the discussions on bringing more than 2 bottles on board. I gave a cheap-shot comment earlier, but the posts about it varying a good deal is true. We don't bring on more than 2 because we usually don't consume that much in our SRs - enjoy a glass or so, but enjoy socializing around the ship more.

On our Euro cruise and our S American cruise, the ship was quite lenient and we brought a few bottles from various ports. Loved trying the local Malbecs in Argentina, and even the Santorini wines....would never find those in a standard wine shop. So I do wish they'd allow a bottle per port or so just so we could expand our palates with some local wines.

Sometimes they'd take our wine (always had it out or in a bag and ready to turn over as needed), and they'd let our friends go through with theirs. Then on a B2B, they'd bring our bottles to us, the ones we turned over on the 1st leg and we had them for the 2nd cruise. Neat. I guess if I don't actually try to smuggle the stuff, I don't feel 'guilty' (what is that concept??) about what they allow me to bring on.

So I guess I'm one of those guys who won't actively smuggle but won't insist they take my bottle...and I'll be quite frank, if the OP or 'bellybutton530' want to invite us over for a glass of their [B]ill-gotten smuggled wine[/B], I'd jump at it. So much for my high morals.

Den[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Maybe you weren't as critical as some, but a couple of key phrases I highlighted in your two remarks on the subject
got you branded as critical nonetheless.

It's kinda like those who smile as they plug in their extension cords or irons, or smoke on their balconies, or don't adhere to dress codes, or who gets drinks from someone else's beverage package.

So, as I continue to prepare for cruise #58, I do so knowing full-well that I do not have the blessings of some on CC. But, as I have said before, at 61 years old, I need neither those blessings, or approvals, or permissions. I just need to make it to my cabin prior to sailing. If I lose a couple of bottles along the way, so be it. I know the risks, and am prepared to suffer the consequences.
[/FONT]

Well, I haven't been critical of anyone, but though I might be younger, after 27 years in Law Enforcement, I have stopped being critical and trying to understand people's actions. But you bring up another point:

The rule is...2 bottles of wine per stateroom
The rule is...No smoking on balconies
The rule is...No sharing of beverage packages
The rule is...Follow the published dress code regulations

What is the difference between someone who violates one of the rules compared to someone who violates another?

I too enjoy reading threads like this...makes for interesting conversations !!

[quote name='rwr235']Well, I haven't been critical of anyone, but though I might be younger, after 27 years in Law Enforcement, I have stopped being critical and trying to understand people's actions. But you bring up another point:

The rule is...2 bottles of wine per stateroom
The rule is...No smoking on balconies
The rule is...No sharing of beverage packages
The rule is...Follow the published dress code regulations

What is the difference between someone who violates one of the rules compared to someone who violates another?

I too enjoy reading threads like this...makes for interesting conversations !![/quote]

[SIZE=3]I think the point is that the "rules" are not consistently enforced. Therefore, in my view, they are not "rules." Apparently it's OK to smoke on your veranda if you're in a royal suite, for example. We saw outfits in the MDR that would make your hair stand on end on our last Caribbean cruise.[/SIZE]

We just came back from Alaska and found an easier way to bring more wine on board. Go to a decent wine store and get boxed wine. There are some that are pretty good. We brought 2 boxes (each box is the equivalent of 4 bottles) and it was no problem

I have carried on two, my husband carried on two, and we had two in each of our luggage (mind you two bags each) and each and every bottle made it on board! I think we just got lucky! My parents had to go to the naughty room, and all they had in their suitcase was bottled water and soda. Not sure how ours made it through!

[quote name='SusieV']I agree with your point about the rules, but not that $60 in a wineshop will get you an equally good bottle onboard! The markup is quite high on low to medium end wines. You can save quite a bit of money even with the corkage fee plus bring aboard vintages you know you enjoy by bringing wine onboard. The wine list onboard can be quite limiting.[/quote]

Wine tasting like food, is subjective . A few years ago Two Buck Chuck Chardonnay won the gold metal at the California State Fair beating out other chardonnays in blind tasting that sold for over $50 per bottle.

[URL]http://www.nctimes.com/business/article_3cdadeec-a8e1-5a7c-9009-4a656ea81c8b.html[/URL]

The price of wine doesn't necessarily mean that a higher price wine is better than a cheaper one. I beleive that most cruise lines have their wine list available on line, why not see what they have before commenting on the quality of their less expensive wines.

Archived