Shorts no longer prohibited from MDR on Voyager

Just some food for thought. Our last cruise in April the family staying in the cabin beside us and across the hall did not have their luggage delivered. The first formal night was on a sea day and their luggage was not on the ship! So they went to formal night in what they had packed on their carry ons. The mother said they ended up leaving the MDR during dinner because their table mates made such rude comments:eek:. At the first port their luggage was waiting for them:D. So on the second formal night they got all dressed up, went to say hello to their table mates and then went to the Windjammer for dinner. It is sad that some peoples opions can make other feel so bad that miss out on parts of the cruise. So before you judge, walk in their shoes.

My son's luggage was missing on our last cruise and it looked like he wasn't going to have it in time for the first formal night. RCCL was great about it and they arranged for him to have a tuxedo at no cost. I'm not sure what they would have done for a female but we thought it was great that they didn't want him to feel underdressed or out of place. He was 20 at the time.

Ah, dress code threads: irresistable!

Just my opinion but here goes. It's not a matter of rules; it's not a matter of guidelines; it's not a matter of enforcement. Actually it's a matter of manners!

Good manners dictate that one dresses as one's host requests. It's as simple as that. Certainly it's your cruise. Certainly the guideline is not enforced. Certainly it won't ruin my cruise if you dress as you wish. None of that changes the fact that to dress in a manner different from your host's request is rude and demonstrates one's selfish attitude toward one's host (and one's fellow travelers I might add). Unfortunately, rude behavior is rampant in today's society but I will always hope that things will change. Am I naive? Absolutely. Bon Voyage to all!

I have to agree. I don't really care what someone else does or doesn't wear. It has absolutely no impact on my vacation. I agree with the other poster that it is rude to comment on how someone else is dressed. While I do believe that it is impolite to ignore the dress request I also feel it is equally rude to be critical of how others are dressed.

However, it is my opinion that it is proper to dress as requested and somewhat disrepectful to blatantly ignore the request. This is not directed at anyone else. It is just my personal opinion.

I suspect many of the other posters feel the same way. They are just expressing their personal views on the topic.

Ah, dress code threads: irresistable!

Just my opinion but here goes. It's not a matter of rules; it's not a matter of guidelines; it's not a matter of enforcement. Actually it's a matter of manners!

Good manners dictate that one dresses as one's host requests. It's as simple as that. Certainly it's your cruise. Certainly the guideline is not enforced. Certainly it won't ruin my cruise if you dress as you wish. None of that changes the fact that to dress in a manner different from your host's request is rude and demonstrates one's selfish attitude toward one's host (and one's fellow travelers I might add). Unfortunately, rude behavior is rampant in today's society but I will always hope that things will change. Am I naive? Absolutely. Bon Voyage to all!

Yes, and the host's requests have changed according to the sign posted by the OP. I know it does not say "wear your shorts here!!" but it doesn't say "wear your pants here" either. It just states what your hosts don't want you to wear to dinner. Of course if this signage holds true, you can wear shorts if you wish, because it is ok with your host.

That is it bottom line so I don't understand your line "None of that changes the fact that to dress in a manner different from your host's request is rude and demonstrates one's selfish attitude toward one's host (and one's fellow travelers I might add). Can you or someone else kindly explain this to me because I am starting to think that maybe it is me that is missing what the cruiseline (or host as the poster uses) is trying to say on this particular subject.

Sir, you are correct... It IS about manners...

But Stags14 is correct too... Judging others based on their manner of dress is also rude... And small-minded...

Which is why when DH and I arrive in the MDR for Casual/Caribbean night dressed as suggested in casual/Caribbean manner as suggested in the Compass for that particular day...

We say nothing to or about the HUNDREDS of folks who have decided to ignore that evenings' event dress code...

We simply eat or Jerk Chicken and enjoy our evening...

Does it ruin our dining experience that evening that so many people have ignored the dress code?? Absolutely!! Does the meal not taste as good?? Sure! But when we head back to our cabin, we can sleep easy knowing that our shorts and printed shirts were in line with the evenings suggested code... And everyone else simply lacks the manners to dress as their host as suggested...:rolleyes:

Which is why when DH and I arrive in the MDR for Casual/Caribbean night dressed as suggested in casual/Caribbean manner as suggested in the Compass for that particular day...

We say nothing to or about the HUNDREDS of folks who have decided to ignore that evenings' event dress code...

quote]

I've often wondered how you know about these things in advance. We know about formal and casual but we've never seen anything in advance about the Caribbean or 70s or any other "theme" night. How would someone know to pack clothes for that evening?

I've often wondered how you know about these things in advance. We know about formal and casual but we've never seen anything in advance about the Caribbean or 70s or any other "theme" night. How would someone know to pack clothes for that evening?

You wouldn't... Unless you have cruised a lot...

Which is why I believe that strict adherence and enforcement is a ridiculous expectation...

I have never seen a 70s dress code listed on the Compass... I have, however, seen a Casual/Caribbean suggested dress specifically stated in the Compass, right there with the dining options... On most of my cruises...

I also notice that whenever I post this info to a dress code thread, that the fashion police usually shut right up... :)

My son's luggage was missing on our last cruise and it looked like he wasn't going to have it in time for the first formal night. RCCL was great about it and they arranged for him to have a tuxedo at no cost. I'm not sure what they would have done for a female but we thought it was great that they didn't want him to feel underdressed or out of place. He was 20 at the time.

They were a family of 5. The children ranged in age from 4 to 12 plus mom and dad. The husband said that their table mates were so rude and the the language was so harsh that they were uncomfortable having their children sit there. So they ate in the WJ every night. They did check into changing tables and were put on a wait list. We ran into them the last day in the airport and they said the staff in the WJ was amazing on the last formal night. The staff had put a table cloth on the table they sat at all week, and had a reserved with their name on it. Took their order and delived it to them. HATS OFF TO THE CREW FOR STEPPING IN WHERE PEOPLE LACK!

All this talk about wearing shorts - I enjoy wearing Bermuda shorts (walking shorts) and will continue to wear them on casual nights in the dining room. My beef is the people who do get dress up or dress down and don't take a minute to look in the mirror before they leave the cabin. I personally would rather someone come under dressed than wearing see-thru tops, hems up to the navel, dresses that are so tight,etc. For me, as long as someone is groomed well - enjoy!

They were a family of 5. The children ranged in age from 4 to 12 plus mom and dad. The husband said that their table mates were so rude and the the language was so harsh that they were uncomfortable having their children sit there. So they ate in the WJ every night. They did check into changing tables and were put on a wait list. We ran into them the last day in the airport and they said the staff in the WJ was amazing on the last formal night. The staff had put a table cloth on the table they sat at all week, and had a reserved with their name on it. Took their order and delived it to them. HATS OFF TO THE CREW FOR STEPPING IN WHERE PEOPLE LACK!

I wasn't questioning what you were saying. I was just letting people know that if they are without luggage, RCCL might be able to help them out. In our case it was only one son that was without...the rest of us received our luggage in time.

Good points.

But it's also rude to judge others by what they wear. Actually, I think its more than rude, it's prejudice. It's also narrow minded to believe that someone has no manners because they decide to not follow an attire recommendation.

We've had plenty of family pictures dressed up on formal nights during our trips. Before one vacation my sister had an idea of getting our picture taken wearing jeans and a white button down shirt - the pictures are some of the best we've ever taken on a cruise with the white background. Mind you, formal nights are the only nights for the photo ops.

I'm not quite sure why you feel so empowered to call me rude or claim that I do not have manners.

We had no attitude toward anyone, we didn't put forward a selfish attitude and if it bothers you than it's your problem. You own it. By coming on here and lashing out and crying about what others do, you are actually being more rude than anyone.

Everyone thought it was a great idea, it was a great conversation starter with other passengers and was well received. But I supposed there's always 1, isn't there....

I have never judged anyone by what they wear. I only pointed out that it is rude not to follow one's host's request. Does anyone actually believe that there has been a change in the requested mode of dress in the MDR at dinner based on one photo taken by the OP? A photo of the cruise compass stating the same would have carried more weight. There has been no change and anyone who believes there has is mistaken. I stand by my statement. Bon Voyage to all!

I have never judged anyone by what they wear. I only pointed out that it is rude not to follow one's host's request. Does anyone actually believe that there has been a change in the requested mode of dress in the MDR at dinner based on one photo taken by the OP? A photo of the cruise compass stating the same would have carried more weight. There has been no change and anyone who believes there has is mistaken. I stand by my statement. Bon Voyage to all!

The Voyager of the Seas Compass from the June 4th sailing from Venice was recently posted in pdf here and I printed it for reference for my upcoming VOS cruise in August. This is what I see in the compass regarding dress: On each compasses first page on the right side there is a section with IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW TODAY "Tonight's Dinner Dress Suggestion" and on 5 days it simply says Casual and on 2 days it simply says Formal and on each days DAILY PLANNER it states the DINING SCHEDULE & AFTERNOON SNACKS and at the very bottom of this section it states "Please note that bare feet and tank tops are not permitted in these venues at any time." That along with the GUEST CONDUCT POLICY which has a half of a sentence stating "dress code and age policies is available in the Cruise Services Directory in your stateroom" is all I see about the dress code in the compass.

So if anyone who sails before August can please come and update us here with what the Cruise Services Directory says I would be very thankful.

Good points.

But it's also rude to judge others by what they wear. Actually, I think its more than rude, it's prejudice. It's also narrow minded to believe that someone has no manners because they decide to not follow an attire recommendation.

We've had plenty of family pictures dressed up on formal nights during our trips. Before one vacation my sister had an idea of getting our picture taken wearing jeans and a white button down shirt - the pictures are some of the best we've ever taken on a cruise with the white background. Mind you, formal nights are the only nights for the photo ops.

I'm not quite sure why you feel so empowered to call me rude or claim that I do not have manners.

We had no attitude toward anyone, we didn't put forward a selfish attitude and if it bothers you than it's your problem. You own it. By coming on here and lashing out and crying about what others do, you are actually being more rude than anyone.

Everyone thought it was a great idea, it was a great conversation starter with other passengers and was well received. But I supposed there's always 1, isn't there....

Nonsense.

Horsefeathers.

Baloney.

Tripe.

Balderdash.

I was going to say "BS", but changed my mind. :D (praeteritio; look it up ;))

There are photo stations set up EVERY SINGLE NIGHT of your cruise. MULTIPLE STATIONS.

You stated that people who don't do what you feel is correct - regarding attire- are rude and lack manners and I will assume you never even spoke to them. This is a ridiculous judgement you've made simply using someone's appearance as a measuring stick. Seems to me you are judging, and I stand by my statement that your actions are more rude than anyone who isn't dressed to your par in the MDR.

I don't believe there has been a change. I do wear a suit or tux on formal nights - but for you to assume that I do not have manners because of 1 night and wanting to take some different pictures is asinine. You do not know what everyone's situation is, therefore you have no right. And this perception you have of others is very narrow minded. I truly hope the next generation isn't being taught to think like this.

The world would be a much better place if people just got to know one another and accepted eachother for who they are.

The previous times that I sailed RCCL they had 3 different dinner dress suggestions: Casual, Smart Casual and Formal. The VOS June 4-10 of 2011 Compasses only have Casual (for 5 nights) and Formal (for 2 nights). How long ago was Smart Casual nights removed?

You stated that people who don't do what you feel is correct - regarding attire- are rude and lack manners and I will assume you never even spoke to them. This is a ridiculous judgement you've made simply using someone's appearance as a measuring stick. Seems to me you are judging, and I stand by my statement that your actions are more rude than anyone who isn't dressed to your par in the MDR.

I don't believe there has been a change. I do wear a suit or tux on formal nights - but for you to assume that I do not have manners because of 1 night and wanting to take some different pictures is asinine. You do not know what everyone's situation is, therefore you have no right. And this perception you have of others is very narrow minded. I truly hope the next generation isn't being taught to think like this.

The world would be a much better place if people just got to know one another and accepted eachother for who they are.

Please reread my posts. What I said was that those who do not respect their host's wishes regarding dress are rude. Once again I stand by that statement. It's a matter of basic manners. The measuring stick is not one's attire. It is adherence to the expectations of one's host. I don't set the standard, RCCL does. Bon Voyage to all!

Nonsense.

Horsefeathers.

Baloney.

Tripe.

Balderdash.

I was going to say "BS", but changed my mind. :D (praeteritio; look it up ;))

There are photo stations set up EVERY SINGLE NIGHT of your cruise. MULTIPLE STATIONS.

Multiple as in 2? We all know there are a ton more on formal nights and they are different. Either way, that is not the point.

Please reread my posts. What I said was that those who do not respect their host's wishes regarding dress are rude. Once again I stand by that statement. It's a matter of basic manners. The measuring stick is not one's attire. It is adherence to the expectations of one's host. I don't set the standard, RCCL does. Bon Voyage to all!

I read your post, you are assuming people who don't follow a recommended attire are rude and have no manners. That is perceived as judgmental to me, and probably to many others. I adhere to the expectations of my host onboard - they expect me to dress a certain way and I do (and I would also be adhering to their expectations if I wore khakis/jeans and a button down). Expecting and recommending are 2 totally different things. While I do dress up for all formal nights (except the 1 I told you about) - I have to disagree with you.

The standard is not the suggested attire, the standard is what is actually not allowed. The attitude is more come as you please.

I do not think that you have anymore manners than anyone who doesn't dress how you feel they should. You should really get to know people before you judge them. I'd rather sit next to someone in shorts and sandals than someone in a tux who would assume they are better than others.

Multiple as in 2? We all know there are a ton more on formal nights and they are different. Either way, that is not the point.

I read your post, you are assuming people who don't follow a recommended attire are rude and have no manners. That is correct.That is perceived as judgmental to me, and probably to many others. That is correct. I adhere to the expectations of my host onboard - they expect me to dress a certain way and I do (and I would also be adhering to their expectations if I wore khakis/jeans and a button down). That is correct. Expecting and recommending are 2 totally different things. While I do dress up for all formal nights (except the 1 I told you about) - I have to disagree with you. Be my guest.

The standard is not the suggested attire, the standard is what is actually not allowed. Here you are wrong. If my guest didn't dress as I requested, I wouldn't escort them to the door; I would just be disappointed. The attitude is more come as you please. No. The attitude seems to be "I'll do as I darn well please".

I do not think that you have anymore manners than anyone who doesn't dress how you feel they should. I already stated that I could care less how other people dress; I'm not the host! You should really get to know people before you judge them. You've been judging me throughout and you don't know me from Adam.I'd rather sit next to someone in shorts and sandals than someone in a tux who would assume they are better than others. And I as well. Where did you see me state that I was better than others?[/quote]

Pay attention! I could care less what others wear but I will always respect the wishes of my host. It's just good manners. To do otherwise is rude.

[quote=traveling1969;29489861

Pay attention! I could care less what others wear but I will always respect the wishes of my host. It's just good manners. To do otherwise is rude.

I read your post and I disagree with it, perhaps you should pay attention as well. I honestly don't think the host really minds what you wear - as long as everyone follows what are actually rules.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but your opinion is not fact. Both sides are just that, sides. While I do enjoy dressing up, I do not think the cruiseline really cares what you wear - or they would actually enforce it. They aren't requesting an attire, they are not suggesting or requiring it.

Let's just admit it - formal nights are not truly formal nights on RCI. Things are becoming more relaxed, their audience and theme has changed. For those who wish to continue on with tradition, they still have formal nights but it is intentionally not enforced for those who do not wish to dress up so much. Therefore, I do not believe that this is a valid measuring stick for measuring ones manners, at all.

"Multiple" as in (depending on the ship) six to eight.

And it is the point.

You said that you wanted to dress a certain way for a photo.

You said that the only night that you could get that photo taken was on formal night.

You said that THAT was your justification for not dressing formally on formal night.

YOU said all that.

"Multiple" as in (depending on the ship) six to eight.

And it is the point.

You said that you wanted to dress a certain way for a photo.

You said that the only night that you could get that photo taken was on formal night.

You said that THAT was your justification for not dressing formally on formal night.

YOU said all that.

Oh my goodness relax. Have a glass of wine or something...

Like I said - we wanted a particular photo, that backdrop IS only available on formal nights. That is the reason for how we dressed but there is more to it.

My point is that we are not rude and we do not lack manners. It was well received by the staff and fellow passengers. And again like I said, dining room attire is flexible for a reason - so everyone can do as they wish. I don't understand why that is so difficult to understand.

So what are actually the rules for the MDR that everyone are to follow?

You will see them online at RCI and they are posted in the compass.

They are listed as "suggestions". I doubt RCI would post those if they didn't want pax to follow them.

It is true they have given up trying to enforce those suggestions. I've been witness to some ugly encounters when crew have asked pax to leave the MDR and go and change. Given the attitude of many pax who think they are above any suggestions that the cruiselines make they have finally figured it is far worse to try and request someone dress appropriately for the MDR and subject many pax and crew to the gutter language, many of those fashion challenged pax use, than to just let them come in and dine attired in their gardening clothes.:)

My husband has worn Bermuda shorts on formal night on cruises to Bermuda (black shorts, white dinner jacket, black tie, black knee highs and dress shoes). He received lots of compliments not complaints.

Mary

So what are actually the rules for the MDR that everyone are to follow?

You will see them online at RCI and they are posted in the compass.

They are listed as "suggestions". I doubt RCI would post those if they didn't want pax to follow them.

It is true they have given up trying to enforce those suggestions. I've been witness to some ugly encounters when crew have asked pax to leave the MDR and go and change. Given the attitude of many pax who think they are above any suggestions that the cruiselines make they have finally figured it is far worse to try and request someone dress appropriately for the MDR and subject many pax and crew to the gutter language, many of those fashion challenged pax use, than to just let them come in and dine attired in their gardening clothes.:)

That's actually not what I was referring to. There the suggestions that you've listed above and then there are items that are prohibited. I was talking about the prohibited items that they do actually turn people down for.

The suggestions actually aren't enforced at all. As I've said ad nauseum, the suggestions are intentionally not enforced so that those who want to dress formal, can enjoy their evening in formal wear and those who do not wish to dress formal do not have to.

In my opinion, it is not a big deal and it works.

Just off the Serenade....saw everything! Shorts, Jeans, and yes, ball caps! Some of the teen girls looked like they belonged on the local street corner. Even saw men wearing t-shirt and jeans on FORMAL night!! And the one that took the cake, a wife-beater T-shirt! And NO one was turned away!

I personally find it frustrating that RCCL doesn't make the dress code stricter for the MDR. There are other options for those choosing not to dress appropriately for the MDR atmosphere.

We can't control others...........we can just try to keep the company of others who share our values!!! I would never want to see my own teenagers look like street kids at dinner....but apparently its ok for some.

Not mine! :p

Just ignore them. Give the attention to the folk who have made an effort to look good!:)

Archived