Shorts no longer prohibited from MDR on Voyager

I really think the decline in the dining room food and service is because of the declining dress standards of the passengers. Why spend extra money on more quality food and greater service when your clientele come dressed like they are going to McDonald’s for dinner. Shorts, t-shirts, ball caps, and flip flops are not attire for a dining room unless that dining room is at McDonald’s.

This topic and the reactions generated always fascinates me. I mean absolutely no snarkiness when I say this but...how does what I wear affect your enjoyment of dinner? My husband and I have chosen not to participate in formal night several times and we will not be bringing along formal clothes for our B2B on Serenade next January. We have always gone to the MDR anyway (at the insistance of our waiters) and we always look nice in dress pants and nice top for me and Dockers and a polo or a caribbean shirt for DH. If you make a different decision and choose to dress to the nine's, you can still do that. Just because the dress code is less strict than it used to be doesn't mean you can no longer dress formally. You can actually dress formally on casual night if you want to...I probably won't even notice! Why do you need every single person in the dining room to dress like you? That puzzles me.

We also agree! I couldn't have said it better...thanks! We have always followed the dress code. We love to wear shorts, at home and on cruises, but refrain from wearing them in the MDR. Funny note: It occurred to me after reviewing our cruise photos that I am always wearing my tux...I couldn't tell which cruise or which ship I was on! :) That said, we will be leaving our formal wear at home for our B2B cruises this fall. It will be smart casual for 21 nights...hopefully we don't offend anyone. :)

Really? I think it's pretty clear. They suggest an attire but you do not need to follow those suggestions. And then there are certain things that they will ask you to leave and change such as a tank top on a man. I don't think this picture really helps much and we don't even know where the picture was taken.

Most cruisers don't even really find this to be an issue. They go to dinner, they eat, and they move on with their evening not even thinking much about attire.

Of course we know where the picture was taken. Herb told you EXACTLY where it was taken.

Wow, reading Don's comment reinforces my choice of anytime dining on a cruise. Wouldn't want to be stuck with him at my table. We have our home and a winter "park model" home. Brand new, I don't classify myself as "trailer trash". We go on vacation to relax and enjoy, not be stuffed in some elegant cruisewear outfits. I am there to enjoy the company of my husband, not be concerned with what everyone else is wearing.

Of course we know where the picture was taken. Herb told you EXACTLY where it was taken.

Who's Herb?

It's kinda chilly in the dining room, not even sure why anyone would want to wear shorts unless they had some bad sunburn - in which case I would understand. Either way... whatever lol.

Dress code threads crack me up because I'm willing to bet that most of you who insist on strict adherence to the suggested dress code are actually hypocrites...

You may insist on no shorts in the MDR or only formal attire on Formal Night but how do you dress on Casual Caribbean Night???

It is promoted in the Compass, same as Formal Night but yet when hubby and I arrive to the MDR on Caribbean Night we are disappointed to find that few if any of our fellow cruisers are actually dressed appropriately...

It really bothers us to see the lack of respect for this events dress code... It definitely brings down the atmosphere of the MDR to see so few of the ship's guests thumbing their noses at the specific request of the host...

The meal just doesn't taste the same...

If you want to get your panties in a wad over how other folks are dressed and then I have to ask, what do you wear on Caribbean Night?? And do you feel as we do when you see folks not adhering to this suggested dress code??

BTW, hubby wears shorts on Caribbean Night with a printed shirt... Seems to work...

Though I confess, he looks out of place...

Be ause so few others actually adhere to the stated dress code...

dress code threads crack me up because i'm willing to bet that most of you who insist on strict adherence to the suggested dress code are actually hypocrites...

You may insist on no shorts in the mdr or only formal attire on formal night but how do you dress on casual caribbean night???

It is promoted in the compass, same as formal night but yet when hubby and i arrive to the mdr on caribbean night we are disappointed to find that few if any of our fellow cruisers are actually dressed appropriately...

It really bothers us to see the lack of respect for this events dress code... It definitely brings down the atmosphere of the mdr to see so few of the ship's guests thumbing their noses at the specific request of the host...

The meal just doesn't taste the same...

If you want to get your panties in a wad over how other folks are dressed and then i have to ask, what do you wear on caribbean night?? And do you feel as we do when you see folks not adhering to this suggested dress code??

Btw, hubby wears shorts on caribbean night with a printed shirt... Seems to work...

Though i confess, he looks out of place...

Be ause so few others actually adhere to the stated dress code...

i love it!!!

Can anyone who has been on the Voyager since the changes comment on the presence of shorts in the MDR. The family we are traveling with have 2 teen boys and I would like to pass this info on to the family. To me it will not change what I pack or for that matter what our 3 TD's pack or DH packs but I would imagine that there are boys everywhere (or almost everywhere) celebrating this one!

There is no contradiction... the sign clearly states what is NOT allowed.

The website only suggests how they would prefer you dress but not that it is required.

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

According to these rules WOMEN who where capri's on casual night are breaking the rules. OMG, I AM A RULE BREAKER:eek:. I will have rethink my entire wardrobe for our upcoming February.

Can anyone who has been on the Voyager since the changes comment on the presence of shorts in the MDR. The family we are traveling with have 2 teen boys and I would like to pass this info on to the family. To me it will not change what I pack or for that matter what our 3 TD's pack or DH packs but I would imagine that there are boys everywhere (or almost everywhere) celebrating this one!

Cruised transatlantic in November. Our table adhered to dress code. The rest of dining rrom at late seating seemed to be dressed more causually than ever past cruises. Hey it is the sign of the times. In Texas in Houston, Ft Worth, Austin, SanAntonio jeans and cowboy boots are common place in the business world! On Galveston Island it very casual with few rules in the restuarants except for Rudy & Pacos(pants) and Pelican Club(coat). As far as boys just bring along some long kaiki pants and polo type shirts and they will be fine.

Cruised transatlantic in November. Our table adhered to dress code. The rest of dining rrom at late seating seemed to be dressed more causually than ever past cruises. Hey it is the sign of the times. In Texas in Houston, Ft Worth, Austin, SanAntonio jeans and cowboy boots are common place in the business world! On Galveston Island it very casual with few rules in the restuarants except for Rudy & Pacos(pants) and Pelican Club(coat). As far as boys just bring along some long kaiki pants and polo type shirts and they will be fine.

Thanks for the reply. From my understanding the "sign" that the OP posted is from some time this spring. Your TA cruise was in November so even if shorts were permitted I don't think too many people would be wearing them anyway. Our cruise is in August and if the boys are permitted to wear shorts in the MDR I am quite sure that they would choose to wear shorts over khakis on most evenings.

Thanks for the reply. From my understanding the "sign" that the OP posted is from some time this spring. Your TA cruise was in November so even if shorts were permitted I don't think too many people would be wearing them anyway. Our cruise is in August and if the boys are permitted to wear shorts in the MDR I am quite sure that they would choose to wear shorts over khakis on most evenings.

What if No shorts sign is on door or posted somewhere on entering the mdr. A decision will have to made. Or even if there are no signs ? Just enjoy the cruise with the boys and let it be a life learning experience for them. One way or another! What do you think they would want to do and their comfort zone in the circumtance?

What if No shorts sign is on door or posted somewhere on entering the mdr. A decision will have to made. Or even if there are no signs ? Just enjoy the cruise with the boys and let it be a life learning experience for them. One way or another! What do you think they would want to do and their comfort zone in the circumtance?

They would wear what they had packed I would suppose. That is why I am trying to determine if it is even necessary to pack casual pants or if shorts are permitted in the MDR. Anyone have the answer to my question?

Sailed on Voyager this past March. I wore shorts on casual nights. On the two formal nights I wore pants and either a polo or button down shirt. On formal night yes there was people in shorts, tanktops, and sandals.

Also we did MTD on our cruise and every night we had a table for 2.

Dressing down is just another sign-of-the-times. Have you noticed it seems more and more men do not wear a suit to church? That was almost unheard of 50 years ago or even 25 years ago. Gosh, I remember when I wore a suit fly on an airplane. Anyone remember tuxedos and cocktail dresses were the norm for Las Vegas? I bet formal night does not exist 10 or even 5 years from now on ships. Too bad.

I didn't have any intention of posting on this thread again but it's hard to be called a liar and not respond.

I took the photo. It was in front of the Magic Flute Dining Room on Deck 5 in the afternoon. If you look closely you can see the closed dining room door in the background on the left. The person you see on the left is in the MTD reservation line.

Lunch is not served in the Deck 5 Dining Room - only on Deck 3.

Now - I agree the sign could have been put there in error - it may well be a Windjammer sign but it was in front of the dining room at this particular time. That being said anyone there making reservations who saw the sign could well have inferred that indeed there was no "no shorts allowed" "Rule". And the fact is shorts are "allowed". They aren't included in the suggested dress code but they are allowed. I've never seen anyone turned away and I've seen plenty of shorts in the MDR at dinner. I thought perhaps they were just making it official.

I thought it was interesting so I took the picture. I don't wear shorts to the dining room so it had no relevance to me other than that. I posted it in the middle of a more obsure thread and had no intention of it being featured in its own thread. Guess I shudda known better!

I don't think anyone is calling you a liar, but if the sign was out in the afternoon, perhaps it was just the sign they use for lunch that someone had put there to be put away when the dining room opened for crew to get ready for first seating/dinner starting? Or as you said a mix up, someone using the wrong sign.

As far as dress code is concerned, I really don't care what anyone wears as long as it isn't gross (picture a man in tank top with long arm pit hair, etc.). I follow the suggestion to the best of my ability. However if the cruise line will not enforce it then why bother having it? Just do what NCL does and have a couple of "dress up or not" days and the rest casual, since that is basically what is happening now.

Also, in my opinion, the use of the term "suggestion" comes from a time when polite society didn't dictate but used a more gentler term. In other words "suggestion" and "dress code" really do mean the same thing. It is just today, people tend to take things literally and then try to push the envelope to see what they can get away with.

I think the mainstream cruise lines should just do away with the current dress code and post a minimum standard (such as what is on the normal pre-dinner sign) and enforce that. If someone wants to dress up, then they can, but if they just want to wear slacks and a nice top throughout that's great too.

No one is stopping anyone from dressing up. I will continue to wear little black slinky dresses for as long as my body holds up for. :p The hemline has inched down a little in the last few years but DH still comments positively and that works for me!! :)

I think it would be nice to have one floor of the MDR actually have a stricter dress code so that people who wanted to dress for dinner could sit with others dressed similarly. Then if you didn't feel like dressing up you could sit on one of the other floors.

Dressing down is just another sign-of-the-times. Have you noticed it seems more and more men do not wear a suit to church? That was almost unheard of 50 years ago or even 25 years ago. Gosh, I remember when I wore a suit fly on an airplane. Anyone remember tuxedos and cocktail dresses were the norm for Las Vegas? I bet formal night does not exist 10 or even 5 years from now on ships. Too bad.

Sadly, yes, I can remember dressing up for airplane rides. That's a good example of what is probably happening in the dining room. =)

I think it would be nice to have one floor of the MDR actually have a stricter dress code so that people who wanted to dress for dinner could sit with others dressed similarly. Then if you didn't feel like dressing up you could sit on one of the other floors.

Maybe the cruise lines figure that they are not loosing customers who want to dress up because no one is stopping them and your idea which would please many would really just create the same old situation. Some guests in the "dressier" MDR will dress down and the cruise lines are just not good at enforcing things like dress codes and chair hogs. They are taking the path of least resistance it seems. Until it effects their bottom line they will not care. Everyone has a limit and if shorts in the dining room is yours I think you need to let the cruise company know, one way or the other.

Archived