Egg crate mattress pad a good idea?

Alaska0799

If it is free, why not? If you don't like it you can always take it off. If you wait to request it, they may be all gone. It will be interesting to see what the experts say.:)

We sail on the Sapphire this Sunday and aren't sure whether we should request the egg crate mattress pad. Any thoughts on the advantages of this pad? All input will be appreciated!

Princess bedding has gotten better but is can not hurt to request the egg crate mattress topper.

We always request it because we have a Tempur-pedic mattress at home and find the beds in the non-suite cabins to be a little too firm for us. With the egg crate topper, we sleep a lot better onboard.

If it is free, why not? If you don't like it you can always take it off. If you wait to request it, they may be all gone. It will be interesting to see what the experts say.:)

Good point! We'll request then try them the first night. I assume they help with the pressure points. As long as the bed's not so soft you feel like you're sleeping in a hammock, we should be fine. We're counting on being so tired (you know the "good tired") at the end of each day from shore excursions and/or walking the decks looking for whales, dolphins, birds, and other wildlife, that we'll sleep like babies, anyway! We'll be so happy just to be on a ship in Alaska that I'm sure we won't be complaining!

We've got a sleep number bed at home... and I keep my side VERY soft.

Thus we always go for the egg crate, because I don't sleep well on firm beds.

Other folks love firm beds - and they seem to sleep just find w/o it. So it depends upon your taste in mattresses ;-)

We sail on the Sapphire this Sunday and aren't sure whether we should request the egg crate mattress pad. Any thoughts on the advantages of this pad? All input will be appreciated!

I can't sleep without two egg foams, my husband is fine ;) Of course he is a bit heavier than me, so that might help ;)

Just to clarify, this is something you request as soon as you arrive in your cabin? Not pre-cruise? What type of tip, if any, do you leave the steward with your request?

Just out of curiosity, the pictures of the beds show 2 pillows per person, would that be accurate or is that another one of the immediate requests?

Just to clarify, this is something you request as soon as you arrive in your cabin? Not pre-cruise? What type of tip, if any, do you leave the steward with your request?

Just out of curiosity, the pictures of the beds show 2 pillows per person, would that be accurate or is that another one of the immediate requests?

we tried to request it pre cruise last time but this wasn't possible they told us. so we asked as soon as we met our cabin steward ;) be quick, because they can run out! We always tip the steward extra at the last day of the cruise, not at the time he brings the egg foam.

yes you have 2 pillows per person.

Good point! As long as the bed's not so soft you feel like you're sleeping in a hammock, we should be fine.

One thing you don't have to worry about is the bed being too soft!:eek: The only way you'll feel like you're in a hammock is if the beds are so old that when they're pushed together they slant toward the middle. We always get an egg crate (mattress topper) and find that it takes care of feeling the split in the middle of the bed as well as softening the mattress. On our last cruise, the topper was so thin that we requested our steward add a duvet on top of the mattress topper, under the top sheet, and that worked fine too. We fax our request to 661 284-4745 Attn: Special Services and it shows up on our cruise personalizer under Special Services.

Ive had one hundred percent success using the following format. I wait until about five or six weeks prior to sailaway before sending. Paper work tends to get lost when laying around too long, even in cruise line offices.

Don't wait till boarding. Your cabin steward has enough to do on turnaround day. He/she shouldn't have to remake your bed.

Name

Booking Number-

Voyage Number & Cruise ship-

Sail Date -

Cabin Number -

Phone Number -

Web Address -

Fax Transmittal Form

To: Princess Cruises From:

ATTN: Special Services

Fax: 661 284 4885

Please request cabin steward place a mattress topper and a top sheet on queen arrangement bed.

Thank You

We did the fax thing last year, but this year we asked the Princess agent when we booked for eggcrate toppers in all three cabins. No problem! The request appeared in our confirmation section on line, and they were there when we arrived.

As to whether or not they make a big difference is a subjective opinion. The beds are pretty stiff and any little bit helps, I think, but some people will find them insufficient for a decent night's sleep.

There is another issue, about their being properly clean and sanitized, which concerns some folks, but I can't speak to that. It's up to you

Wow! What helpful responses! Thank you all so much. One more ? if I may...why would we need to request a top sheet? Do they not make the beds with a top sheet automatically:confused:?

They don't, they make the beds up European style without a top sheet.

Archived