Victoria help - can we do both....

DaveOKC

We arrive in Victoria on May 3 at 10 AM, departing at Midnight. We would like to do the High Tea at the Empress Hotel (runs from Noon until 5 PM) and Butchart Gardens (open until 6 PM). We will be renting a car (4 of us).

Now... can we do both of these in one day given the above times? If so, which would you do first - High Tea at Noon followed by the Gardens OR the Gardens followed by High Tea at about 4 PM?

How long should we allow for each of these?

Thanks

DaveOKC

I would do the Gardens, then do the Tea at 4 PM. It will give you the maximim time at the gardens before going on to the tea. While I haven't done the tea I did spend a significan amount of time at Butchard. I would recommend a very early lunch or a late breakfast so that you are hungry by the time you ge to the tea.

Have a great time.

Deb

I agree do the tea at 4pm. But book now as you will need reservations and they fill up early forthe best time slots (i.e. 4pm). I love going to the Empress for Tea. Yes it is expensive but I believe you get your $$$ worth. Plus it is an experience not to be missed. They even give you a lovely box of the Empress Hotel Tea that they have blended specially for them as a souvenir. Plus the tea is a meal - go hungry!!!!

But why bother with the hassle of renting a car - your time to go get the car - fill in the forms - return the car etc. You can get to the gardens via public bus (would not do that as you would waste too much time) I would splurge for a taxi - if there are 4 of you and you split it!! Or take a morning tour to the gardens that will have you back by 4pm. The Empress is only about a mile from the cruise ship dock - a long walk or a very short cab ride.

Enjoy

For those of you that have done tea at the Empress...what does it include? I just got back from London where I enjoyed a lovely 'afternoon' tea at the Ritz. How would the Empress compare? I love tea, and those little sinful sandwiches and desserts are exquisite! :)

I was at the Empress last year in Feb with a girlfriend of mine...We stayed overnight at the Empress. My feeling is,,its the experience,,,we wanted to do the Tea Time and enjoyed it very much. You felt like you were going back in time,,(in the tea room)we had a nice view and the room is like alounge with overstuffed chairs. They serve you tea (several choices) then they bring you a fruit cup and the 3 tiered tray which consists of bottom tray finger sandwhiches (cucumber,salmonetc,,,kind of bland) next tier is the scones with cream,,top tier is the dessert tray. It's the experience and I'm glad I did it.

But why bother with the hassle of renting a car . . . I would splurge for a taxi - if there are 4 of you and you split it!! Or take a morning tour to the gardens that will have you back by 4pm. The Empress is only about a mile from the cruise ship dock - a long walk or a very short cab ride.

Got to agree - renting a car is not really necessary. There are taxi's at the dock. However arrange with your driver for a pickup at the gardens or call well in advance from the garden for a pick up. THe cost for taxi rides (ship to gardens, gardens to Empress, Empress to ship) would be similar to the car rental and then you don't have the worries about driving in a unfamiliar city.

We've also done the walk from the dock to "down town" and it is very do-able. Little terrain, all sidewalks.

I had the tea with my mother (age 75) and daughter (25). We enjoyed it, but it was NOT our best high tea experience. And yes, it was very expensive for what you got. We were staying at the Empress, and we all really wanted to try it.

The cookies and scones were tasty, and the waiter made my daughter the "tea mother", which was nice. We sat down about 3pm and were so sugared up by the time we left, that it was sickening (and I am hopelessly addicted to sugar, so it was pretty intense to make me say that).

There seemed to be a non-stop parade of tourists walking through the lobby of the hotel and taking our picture, and that felt very weird. Tourists taking vacation shots of tourists made us feel like we were positioned in mirrors with endless reflections.

My husband and son-in-law went fishing that day. The day before they had pointed out only one man in the tea area, and mentioned that he looked miserable and that they figured his wife owed him big-time. I could never admit to him that he was right, but the women did seem to outnumber the men by about 25 to 1, and the men in my family would have hated the whole thing.

I am absolutely glad I did it once, but that is enough. The tea at the gardens is very nice also.

If you are ever in San Francisco, have tea at the Sheraton Palace. They have a beautiful area, it is very tasty, and the atmosphere is much more relaxed.

It's hard for someone else to tell you how long to spend at the Gardens. Some people can walk through it quickly and only spend an hour; others wander and can take 2 to 5 hours. I spend an hour in the gift store. I would highly recommend the afternoon tea at Butcharts rather then the Empress. It's held in the main restaurant and you should make a reservation as soon as you arrive at the Gardens.

Here are some cabs to contact re your transportation questions.

Akal Airport Shuttle Bus (Airporter)

Daily half-hour service to and from Victoria International Airport to all hotels and motels, University of Victoria and CFB Esquimalt, from 4:30 am until midnight.

Akal Airport Shuttle Bus (Airporter) Contact Information

Blue Bird Cabs Ltd.

54 years of serving the travelling public in Greater Victoria.

Blue Bird Cabs Ltd.Empress Taxi Contact Information

Empress Taxi

Offering clean, modern cars and experienced, professional drivers servicing the entire South Island.

Empress Taxi Contact Information

Victoria Taxi

50 full-sized sedans serving all of Greater Victoria.

Victoria Taxi Contact Information

Archived